subjective quality of vented Belle type vs sealed back chamber ?

karlson3

for fun and curiosity, I'm having a 0.83 scale Belle made and will load with 12pe32.  I think the portion of the response where Belle shelves a bit vs smoother horn may be useful with 12pe32.

the scaled back chamber is just about right to vent to extend response (1pi) to 100Hz.    With sealed chamber, 9 liters looks good to flatten response and reduce excursion below cutoff.

with low amplifier power, might the vented version sound "better" ? - of just different?    I realize all depends upon helper woofer, midrange, and tweeter units plus xover.

9 liters back chamber gives good power handling.

Are there any reasonably priced cone drivers to make a horn midrange to keep up with 12pe32?

What finish do you guys like on Baltic birch?   - Cinnamon, cherry, gunstock seem to work well - I like natural but want that this time to look warm and glossy.

4txmanm.jpg

Regarding a cone driver Faital Pro M5N12-80. 

In my experience the lowpass functions of the horn may or may not follow the calculated curve.so you could try crossing over higher than 400 Hz and then things like Faital Pro LTH142 crossed over at 500 Hz or so (in a domestic setting) is possible. 

The fact that the basshorn may have output to 1 kHz does not have to equal good sound up to 1 kHz so, test! An old analog active crossover where you can slide the crossover point around with a twist of a knob is handy ;)

On 11/22/2017 at 4:15 PM, karlson3 said:

What finish do you guys like on Baltic birch?   - Cinnamon, cherry, gunstock seem to work well - I like natural but want that this time to look warm and glossy.

Any kind of wood veneer with a stain on it; Baltic Birch doesn't stain very well by itself.