New AVR for my simple setup

Berglii

Hey.

Quick question. I have

RF-82 II 

R-115SW

and I will be adding a RC-64 II today.

I need a new AVR but I have no knowledge on the subject. I got it down to two choices 

MARANTZ SR5012

Onkyo TX-RZ820 B

I will be using it for movies, mostly. I fell in love with the description for the Marantz.

Are these powerfull enough?

Probably Marantz. 

How loudly will you play your movies?

How big is your room (in cu.ft.).

How far away from the front speakers will you sit?

The Marantz is rated at 100 watts per channel, with only two channels operating.  With most or all channels operating to run a movie, the power available to each channel is less.   It might be about 70 or 80 watts.  To reach Reference level through the main speakers you might need about 40 watts.  Your sub has its own built in amplifier, and it will take some of the burden off of the AVR, providing your speakers are set for SMALL (as almost everyone recommends) to provide more headroom through the main channels.  Ignore any advice to set your speakers to Large, including advice on the AVR screen.  Do not set the the AVR for LFE + Main.   All of these procedures should provide you with crystal clear response from your main speakers, and good low bass from your sub.  If you play your movies/music very, very loud it is conceivable that you might need more power.

The Marantz does not have the newest version of Audyssey, but it does have the new Audyssey App that lets you make a few adjustments to fit your taste after Audyssey equalizes your speakers and room, using hundreds of points in the frequency spectrum.  I don't know about the Onkyo.

If you get an AVR with Audyssey, read this all the way through.  It will be much better than your manual. 

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys, and yes, Marantz.

I like to play my movies as loud as I dare. This is my first sound system so I am a bit on the carefull side... This might be because I have som problems with my Pioneer AVR and have to send it inn for repairs.

My room is shaped like a rectangular (32.68 m2) with the length being 8.6 M (28 ft) and width beeing 3.8 M (12 ft). My sound setup is on the close wall and the distance from the speaker to the user is 3.3 M (10 ft). I am placed at the far end of the room.

My friends knowledge on this seems iffy, but yes I have my front speakers set as small with a crossover for the sub set as 80hz. It seems to fit what most people recommend. I got a bit blank on this part though <Do not set the the AVR for LFE + Main>.

I am willing to nudge up a bit for the Marantz SR6012. I only have a small setup now, but I might upgrade the amount of speakers at a later time. Though my first impression is if I go with the SR6012 I end up with quite a few channels I would never end up using. I guess i need to have a look and see if it has some ekstra funktions I would need or want. However in terms of power, it seems the SR5012 is enough for 2 front, a sub and center?

11 hours ago, Berglii said:

... I have my front speakers set as small with a crossover for the sub set as 80hz. It seems to fit what most people recommend. I got a bit blank on this part though <Do not set the the AVR for LFE + Main>.

I am willing to nudge up a bit for the Marantz SR6012. I only have a small setup now, but I might upgrade the amount of speakers at a later time. Though my first impression is if I go with the SR6012 I end up with quite a few channels I would never end up using. I guess i need to have a look and see if it has some ekstra funktions I would need or want. However in terms of power, it seems the SR5012 is enough for 2 front, a sub and center?

10 hours ago, Berglii said:

After reading a bit about the SR6012 I am thinking about buying that one and using the exstra channels for bi-amplifying should I end up needing extra power as well as future upgrades. 

The SR6012 has only about 10 watts more power, BUT it has Audyssey XT32, instead of plain XT.  People say XT32 is better (as it's meant to be).

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the "Do not set the the AVR for LFE + Main."   It might not even be available to you with your speakers set to small, which they should be.

I'd go with the SR6012 for it's more advanced Audyssey XT32.  If you read "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here" all the way through first, the Audysey set should take you about an afternoon, and be well worth it..  If you don't read first, it will probably take you 2 or 3 times as long.  When you have finished, you will probably want to turn up the subwoofer a few dB, like everyone else.

• Like 1

I read up on the Audyssey XT32 and I was impressed. I wants it. I needs it. I brushed up on your link and quickly added it to my bookmarks. Thanks. 

Startet talking with different dealers and I'll get a deal on the SR7011 if I buy at their store, so I'll see what happends. The wife is not going to be happy.

Thanks though

I don't know what features the Marantz has.

I have a 9 band EQ built into my Denon.

I can get much better sound-(to me) Eq'ing than if I use

the Audyssey--not bashing the Audyssey, even though

it sounds OK--it just sounds OK--I can do better--Like Joe Gatto.

2 hours ago, rebuy said:

I don't know what features the Marantz has.

I have a 9 band EQ built into my Denon.

I can get much better sound-(to me) Eq'ing than if I use

the Audyssey--not bashing the Audyssey, even though

it sounds OK--it just sounds OK--I can do better--Like Joe Gatto.

Most people take about 4 or 5 different attempts and a thorough reading of the FAQ, "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here" which deals with some common complaints concerning Audyssey, such as "Where has my bass gone?" [most people end up turning up their subwoofer a few dB, or, if there is no subwoofer, turning up the bass tone control -- not the virtual graphic sliders] to get Audyssey just right,  but it can be well worth it.   Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company, so I would expect them to be pretty close in quality and features.  My Marantz, too, has a 9 band graphic EQ, and I lived with and experimented with it for several months before trying Audyssey.  My final Audyssey run produced far better EQ, perhaps partly because it was counter-intuitive.  Before running Audyssey I would have said my Klipschorns were a little too bright.  Although part of what Audyssey did was to raise the level of the treble -- on the average -- it did so in a way that improved the sound of the Khorns quite a bit, by improving clarity, detail, and balance.  Here's what it did, as measured by REW and a calibrated mic, starting at the top.  It turned the very high treble up an increase of about 4 dB at 16K Hz,  and about 2.5 dB at 12K Hz.  It removed a broad peak at about 8K Hz by turning it down by about 2.5 dB, while turning up the levels in the regions below that, and so on, down to about 1.3K Hz.  It also pulled down peaks at about 500 Hz and 110 Hz, and boosted response between 30 and 40 Hz.   The current Audyssey model -- XT32, with app -- has 10,000 control points.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Get the Marantz, check accessories4less.com for deals.  I have bought an AVR and 2 channel amp from them with success.  The 6012 is pretty new so their may not be any available.  You mentioned 6012 and 7011.  Just make sure they are 2.2 hdcp for 4k HDR10 and Dolby vision.  I think the 7011 is compliant with firmaware upgrade and the 6012 should certainly have it.  Good luck they are both very nice.

4 hours ago, dmb12679 said:

Get the Marantz, check accessories4less.com for deals.

I have a feeling our friend @Bergliilives outside the US.  Your advice is still sound, the Marantz 6012 is a solid choice.

I have the Marantz 6011 and a 2014 model Onkyo TX NR-717.  Both have a fantastic sound.  You can't just say any more that Marantz (for instance) sounds better than Onkyo because there are so many listening modes and codecs which dramatically change the sound. 

Between the Marantz and it's sister Denon models in general, Marantz is considered a bit better for music, Denon for movies.

There is lots of really good advice in this thread.  No matter what you finally choose you are getting a first class AVR.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

I ended up buying the Marantz SR-7011 as I pinned a few stores and got it cheaper than the 6012. It should arrive in a few hours or so.

Now I have to figure out if I should connect all my gear (playstation and so on) directly to the tv and the tv to the AVR thtough ARC or everything to the AVR and connect it to the tv (ARC).

10 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

From my experience I would just connect everything to the receiver then to the TV.  TVs can sometimes do funky things to the sound.

Plus, I'm sure Marantz has an awesome video processor/upscaler in that receiver.

Ditto.

• Like 1