Forte III listening fatigue

Speedy6963

14 hours ago, Speedy6963 said:

I have removed the crossover and drawn out the schematic, as suspected there is a lot of attenuation on the mid , but no attenuation on the tweeter in the crossover.  Woofer is crossed at 18db/octave, mid is 12db/octave and tweeter is also 18db/octave .

Inductor values might not be correct, meter is junk..

forte001.jpg

IMG_20171125_004719.jpg

Just to prove I'm not seeing things are those your New F3's ripped apart? As I believe they are, I have no comments that would be considered proper. Ohh Myy Gawd ---- 

• Like 3

Without touching the filter of your FIII, you can test a reduction of the tweeter.

Just insert a resistor with lugs between the wire + tweeter and the lug + the speaker. The advantage and you do not need to modify and solder the filter or the speakers of your FIII. In case of resale you can remove the resistance and return the FIII as at the exit of the factory.

For the reduction of the sound, you can do progressive tests, until you find the sound you like: test with resistances of 10 w and 1, 1.2, 1.8, 2.2, 3, ... ohms. To do the success tests no need to dismantle the entire FIII, you will just need to unscrew and screw back the tweeter.

Good listening

The position of resistance

836358filtreFIII.jpg

I listened to the Forte iii's before buying my Cornwall iii's. - they didn't sound bright to me at all.  I bought the Cornwalls b/c of the size of my listening space, but would have been happy w/ the Fortes too.

Listening fatigue is not necessarily the fault of your system, nor is it an indication that something is wrong.   Some instruments (brass, some strings for example) when heard live WILL start to fatigue.   So these same instruments played at live volumes on an accurate hi-fi rig will also start to fatigue.  ..If NO music is ever fatiguing after a while then I would think a system is a bit soft and dull and you're apt to be losing some of the music all of the time.

As an aside, this is why I alway choose integrated amplifiers w/ tone controls.  ..A slight leftward twist of the treble control and voila, a bright recording is suddenly is tolerable..

• Like 4

I still think it's a placement issue. I know other speakers sounded fine in the position but that doesn't mean much. Every speaker is different.

The Forte III is the most realistic sounding speaker I've ever owned...and I've owned somewhere near 40 pairs now.

They have a more realistic sound than my Altec 19s and that is saying A LOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

5 hours ago, richieb said:

Just to prove I'm not seeing things are those your New F3's ripped apart? As I believe they are, I have no comments that would be considered proper. Ohh Myy Gawd ---- 

I ripped apart my NEW khorns last year and changed horns and driver's and crossovers !!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wdecho said:

If you only add one resistor for attenuation you will disrupt the X-over network. The X-over is designed to work with the impedance of the driver used. The reason for two resistors, one in series and one parallel. Ohms law with resistors in parallel returns the ohms to the original driver ohms. 

Yes I agree with you, to be rigorous and to respect the law of ohm it is necessary a network of resistances in parallel series. This is quite possible at the tweeter level to mount an L-pad Attenuator by making a removable mount with lugs.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-Lpad.htm

Otherwise, when the values are weak, we can neglect the ohm's law and do without, even if it is not very correct at the theoretical level. Anyway everything is removable and it is to make listening tests and satisfy the ears of Speedy6963 :)

On 11/23/2017 at 11:40 PM, Speedy6963 said:

Anyone else think the Forte III is too bright ??

no, not at all.  at least to my ears and on my equipment.  my MX-113's treble pot sits right at zero for most recordings.  sometimes i bump it up a touch, but it's never set below zero. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

it is amusing to watch..... :)

I'll bet it is.

Is the final balance of current Klipsch speakers, from the Forte III to the current Klipschorn , adjusted for flat frequency response (in the anechoic chamber?), or by ear, or using some combination or the two?

I waited over 20 years before tinkering with my forte II.  Added BC networks, titanium diaphragms in squawker and tweeter.  All of which is reversible.  Those are state of the art speakers you just purchased.  

Whatever the outcome if your happy that is all that counts.

Best regards,

John

I have removed the crossover and drawn out the schematic, as suspected there is a lot of attenuation on the mid , but no attenuation on the tweeter in the crossover.  Woofer is crossed at 18db/octave, mid is 12db/octave and tweeter is also 18db/octave .

Inductor values might not be correct, meter is junk..
forte001.thumb.jpg.e1af616fad32ebe7c3cc299855dbf062.jpg
IMG_20171125_004719.thumb.jpg.d438c412a2e19229ac3f0eca5d5d984e.jpg
I'm surprised the chief lets that schematic stay up. I thought that would be proprietary info.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk