Forte III listening fatigue

Speedy6963

• Klipsch Employees
5 hours ago, DrWho said:

It's part of that Klipsch sound to keep things overly bright....

While you're at it, why not drop the HF altogether? And replace the MF with a full range compression driver and just go 2-way instead? Might need active xovers to pull this off properly though. Maybe if you're lucky you could do a passive shelf filter to compensate for the constant directivity rolloff?

I'm also a huge fan of Tannoy - although don't crank it up too loud, or the highs get modulated by the cone movement, which is not a very pleasant sound at all.

Modulation distortion???  Some people are fond of it. 

• Like 3

• Klipsch Employees
4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

He resides in Hope, where they build the Pro Stuff, not in Indy, where other Engineers develop products. While he's responsible for the "mumps" in the Pro Tweeter horn, the K510, it may be that other horns gained this feature as well, using his technique, but not by his hand directly. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's his complete design on the Forte III. There are other Engineers who primarily make the consumer products, as well as the Palladium line, which is built in Hope, but designed in Indy. I don't know for sure either.

Assumption. Is wrong. I wanted this one. 

• Like 2

If the sound is clean and undistorted, I believe that the speaker's position in the room, the room design, and, most of all, the bass treble balance highly influence whether the speakers sound bright and fatiguing.   There's "good bright" and "bad bright."  "Bright" can be exhilarating.  And "bright" can be what a live orchestra sounds like from the front seats.  Unfortunately,  bass is shaved off recordings, and the midrange is often jacked up.  Restoring the balance is something that needs to be done one disk at a time, recording by recording.  My bias is that if a speaker sounds sweet and pleasant with almost all of a person's recordings, the speakers may have been designed to veil the sound, so as to never give offense.   I suspect a number of "Hi End" speakers do this, given the high frequency results in J. Atkinson's listening room of speakers like YG (and many others). 

I'll bet that the Forte III will sound great with truly good recordings, and maybe a little bass boost.   Klipschorns, too, have been described as "bright and fatiguing."   Mine aren't, in my moderately treated 4,243 room, with some absorbers, a few of which are placed as Chris A recommended in the thread called "Corner Horn Acoustics," with a good deal of diffusion due to many book shelves, with objets d'art scattered among the books, as well as a few DIY diffusers.   They sound even better with Audyssey Flat room correction, plus post calibration bass boost, with only a few harsh CDs and a few old movies with a distorted top end requiring the Audyssey Reference setting which imposes a slight cinema roll-off at the top (much milder than either the X curve or the SMPTE curve for 30 seat theaters).  My curve resembles the Harmon curve but is more or less flat above 1K (unless the Reference curve is used).  The bass end is turned up (bass tone control) about 5 to 6 dB.   With movies, I use a subwoofer (X-over at 80 Hz) and it is turned up to taste, usually to meet the Khorn bass at the same SPL, but for some movies I have turned it up as much as 10 dB over what Audyssey recommended for flat response.  That may seem to be a lot, but the Harmon curve has about a 9 or 10 dB decline from bass to treble.  Besides, you only live once.

• Klipsch Employees
3 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

I'm pretty sure you are correct.  I believe EDIT Kerry Geist  in Indy is in charge of coming up with Heritage products to bring back or do Anniversary/Special Editions,   He was responsible for the idea of a Forte III and he tapped Roy to do it.  I believe Roy was main person on HIII.  

He's always cookin' up sometime.

Maybe @Chief bonehead will find time to clarify it.

Carl @CECAA850, you got.his 396's right?  He said the voicing/sound was very similar on the two.

Clarify what?

• Klipsch Employees
16 minutes ago, Deang said:

Lol. 

I love you Roy - Merry Christmas to you and to yours. 

... though I would still like to strangle you. :-)

I wish I could afford those Forte IIIs, because I bet they sound glorious - nice job brother. 

In Him ...

I bet I could get you a brother (in Christ) deal. 

• Like 3

• Klipsch Employees
20 minutes ago, garyrc said:

If the sound is clean and undistorted, I believe that the speaker's position in the room, the room design, and, most of all, the bass treble balance highly influence whether the speakers sound bright and fatiguing.   There's "good bright" and "bad bright."  "Bright" can be exhilarating.  And "bright" can be what a live orchestra sounds like from the front seats.  Unfortunately,  bass is shaved off recordings, and the midrange is often jacked up.  Restoring the balance is something that needs to be done one disk at a time, recording by recording.  My bias is that if a speaker sounds sweet and pleasant with almost all of a person's recordings, the speakers may have been designed to veil the sound, so as to never give offense.   I suspect a number of "Hi End" speakers do this, given the high frequency results in J. Atkinson's listening room of speakers like YG (and many others). 

I'll bet that the Forte III will sound great with truly good recordings, and maybe a little bass boost.   Klipschorns, too, have been described as "bright and fatiguing."   Mine aren't, in my moderately treated 4,243 room, with some absorbers, a few of which are placed as Chris A recommended in the thread called "Corner Horn Acoustics," with a good deal of diffusion due to many book shelves, with objets d'art scattered among the books, as well as a few DIY diffusers.   They sound even better with Audyssey Flat room correction, plus post calibration bass boost, with only a few harsh CDs and a few old movies with a distorted top end requiring the Audyssey Reference setting which imposes a slight cinema roll-off at the top (much milder than either the X curve or the SMPTE curve for 30 seat theaters).  My curve resembles the Harmon curve but is more or less flat above 1K (unless the Reference curve is used).  The bass end is turned up (bass tone control) about 5 to 6 dB.   With movies, I use a subwoofer (X-over at 80 Hz) and it is turned up to taste, usually to meet the Khorn bass at the same SPL, but for some movies I have turned it up as much as 10 dB over what Audyssey recommended for flat response.  That may seem to be a lot, but the Harmon curve has about a 9 or 10 dB decline from bass to treble.  Besides, you only live once.

I agree. The speakers are often blamed when the recording is the culprit. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DrWho said:

It's part of that Klipsch sound to keep things overly bright....

While you're at it, why not drop the HF altogether? And replace the MF with a full range compression driver and just go 2-way instead? Might need active xovers to pull this off properly though. Maybe if you're lucky you could do a passive shelf filter to compensate for the constant directivity rolloff?

I'm also a huge fan of Tannoy - although don't crank it up too loud, or the highs get modulated by the cone movement, which is not a very pleasant sound at all.

Why buy Klipsch, just find a speaker you like.  Gee, that's never occurred to anyone?  Most people buy a speaker because they like the sound.  Some buy them to totally redesign them.  There has got to be a better way.