Forte III listening fatigue

Speedy6963

15 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I've noticed historically similar issues when playing my Chorus II's at louder than normal volumes. What I have done in the past is point the speakers straight forward if I'm planning on "energizing" the whole room with loud music, less "in your face" brightness, otherwise at normal, lower listening levels I have the speakers aimed right at me in the listening position. I wouldn't give up yet on them, lots of things to try to get this sorted out. Congrats by the way on the new speakers! 

Im not giving up on them, I see it as a challenge !

I will fix the crossover to make them flatter and have less of that Klipsch in your face curve :-)

• Like 2

I have removed the crossover and drawn out the schematic, as suspected there is a lot of attenuation on the mid , but no attenuation on the tweeter in the crossover.  Woofer is crossed at 18db/octave, mid is 12db/octave and tweeter is also 18db/octave .

Inductor values might not be correct, meter is junk..

forte001.jpg

IMG_20171125_004719.jpg

• Like 2

Before changing the crossovers, have you placed them on the ground like they were intended? Having them on those blocks will destroy your bass response and change the balance of the speaker. The tweeter may be a bit hot because of the fact that they are a lower than ear height when positioned as intended. Perhaps lifting that tweeter up higher is causing the highs to be too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grizzog said:

Before changing the crossovers, have you placed them on the ground like they were intended? Having them on those blocks will destroy your bass response and change the balance of the speaker. The tweeter may be a bit hot because of the fact that they are a lower than ear height when positioned as intended. Perhaps lifting that tweeter up higher is causing the highs to be too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had them up, had them down, its not room or other gear since all other speakers are fine.

Very interesting thread, and the first time I’ve heard of L Pads. A spark went off in my ever aging brain and I remembered the Outboard eq that came with a pair of EV Interface series speakers I had back in the early 80s. I assume that was what this was? Is it possible to fabricate something along these lines for Klipsch speakers? I’m not a techie by any stretch, just curious.

https://goo.gl/images/H1UqoN

5 hours ago, wdecho said:

Or with just 2 resistors. It will take some trial and error with resistors but many consider just resistors as best.

You can buy an L-pad, adjust the L-pad for the attenuation desired, and then measure the L-pad to determine the resistance needed for using resistors.

5 hours ago, Speedy6963 said:

I own multiple eq's and am not using one on this system

I think was @Peter P. was suggesting that you introduce the equalizer as an experiment, the same way you used fiberfil in the tweeter.

+++

If you think about it Speedy, could you take some more pics of the XO and the drivers?  The mid driver with the cooling fins almost looks like the EV DH1506. (the other CD is from my CF-4, the K-63)

EV DH1505 and K-63 IMG_4285.JPG

11 hours ago, Speedy6963 said:

No eq on this setup, 1970's pioneer turntable, pioneer reel to reel and then a 845 single ended triode amp.

I have MANY speakers from heresy's to cornwalls and Khorns and new onkyo's https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=D-77NE&class=Speaker and ascend sierra 2 http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM2/srm2.html and KEF Q100 and KEF Q350 and KEF R900 and VINTAGE pioneer HPM100's and pioneer DSS-7 ( berylium tweeter, boron mid's ) and more.... Only speakers to ever fatigue my ears this way are these Forte III and my Klipsch Horns when new ( I have since completely change the horns and crossover and no more problem )

From experience with much different hardware any hump in the response in the 7k-10k area can make speakers fatiguing ...

I just hooked up the sierra 2's next to the forte's and they sound great !  But they dont get very loud with the 15 watts that are available ( only 86db eff. )

IMG_20171125_005937.jpg

This photo makes me chuckle...

52 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

59 minutes ago, willland said:
1 hour ago, Deang said:

Thanks for the capacitor and resistor values. :)

I think I hear some brain waves stirring.:P

That sound you hear is more likely the sound of @Chief bonehead's head exploding as people continue to think they can improve on his brand-new design.  :lol:

It's all about the bucks and reputation....Possibly they will start a new forum where members can hash th3se things out. ;) 

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I think was @Peter P. was suggesting that you introduce the equalizer as an experiment, the same way you used fiberfil in the tweeter.

+++

If you think about it Speedy, could you take some more pics of the XO and the drivers?  The mid driver with the cooling fins almost looks like the EV DH1506. (the other CD is from my CF-4, the K-63)

EV DH1505 and K-63 IMG_4285.JPG

Agree, would love to see some close ups of the mid horn and driver myself, looks a lot like the RF-7 II driver

rf7iitweeter.jpg