RB-15 vs RB-51 (and matching components)

wes8398

RB-51 / RB-15, RC-52 / RC-25 - Are the newer models worth the extra money? I see a significant change in the cross-over frequencies, but most other surface details seem fairly comparable. Does newer necessarily mean better, in the case of these speakers? Here's some background if you're interested...

I'm helping my step-Father rebuild his home theatre system. 20+ year old Boston Acoustic bookshelves have basically all bit the dust, and his similarily-aged Pioneer receiver... is clipping and randomly shutting down.

His criteria for me:
- 5.1 system
- No floorstand speakers
- Bookshelves as close to his current speaker's size as possible (8x5x7 -ish)
- ~$1000-$1500 budget, including a new receiver.

My Plan:
- 4 bookshelf speakers - RB-15's or RB-51's (*began by looking at the newer R-15s and think I talked myself out of them after some research)
- Center Speaker - RC-25 or RC-52 (*see note above)
- Sub - R-12SW
- 5.1 receiver - Really, no idea yet.

Room details:
- ~25x25 room, opening to another room behind the TV
- A/V / Seats set up diagonally from corner to opposite corner (not my choice, but this is how he wants it)
- drywalled 3/4 basement room with carpet, blinds, curtains, leather and cloth furniture... lots of sound deadening.

Ok, I think that's the end of my 1st post. Hope I followed all the rules, and included all the relevant information. Thanks in advance, guys and girls.

Wes

I have owned 2 pairs of new Klipschorns that were decades apart in age and the newer ones did not sound as good as the older ones.  Perhaps Klipsch is doing like most industries and seeking to squeeze more profits from cheaper built products?  These forums have gone from deeply respected customer relationships to commercial banter and shallow PC dialogue.  Sad to witness good traditions go rusty.  

34 minutes ago, wes8398 said:

I already understand that the 51 is newer than the 15.  I'm looking for guidance regarding whether it's worth 40% more money to go with the IV over the III.

Got it.

Both have 5.25" woofers and are rear ported correct?  Crossover frequency is pretty much the only mechanical change as far as I know.  I say go with which is the best bang for your buck.  If both are in great condition, the RB-15's are the way I would lean.

Bill

57 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:
1 hour ago, oscarsear said:

These forums have gone from deeply respected customer relationships to commercial banter and shallow PC dialogue.  Sad to witness good traditions go rusty.  

With generation gaps nothing stays the same. Post more often....steer us back.

I agree 100% and we start a thread in the lounge about it, again.