sub xover question

HIFI4EVER

Hello,

I have an unconventional question.  

I am looking at sing a car sub in a sealed box in my home and my specs are the following:

Amps:8 ohm

Sub: dvc 4 ohm each VC

Crossover point: 80hz

Crossover: should be what?  8 ohm or 4 ohm?

I think if I use the 80hz 8ohm it will make it 160hz  correct?

If I go 4 ohm crossover 80hz it makes sense, but I am feeding it 8ohms from the amps, so now I am confused.

Ohms have nothing to do with crossover points.

I would recommend using an 8 ohm subwoofer if the amp you're using is rated for an 8 ohm resistance. 

80Hz is generally recommended for a crossover point for most subwoofer applications.

Thank you.  I always thought it would not matter either until this last year coming here and another frum people said they can go out of phase having 2 different ohms plus that the crossing will change with 8ohm crossover going to a 4 ohm driver.

I should mention these amps don't care what ohms they run, these are old school concert amps I use a monos.

So the way I am looking at this is I will use UN bridge them and use channel 1 to power the main speakers, and channel 2 to power the sub on both  L and R.

I a, also wondering if I can just put a resistor or something in line to the subs rather than a crossover unit?  The crossoers are not that expensive, but if Icould get a way with putting a certin resistor in line to filter over 80hz that would be easier.

The next thing is with the speakers being 8 ohm and at least 99+db  and the subs I would assume are somewhere are ound 85db maybe that ohm difference would bring them closer together.

Does that makes sense?