Good center channel match for La Scalas

M_Klipsches

Currently I’m  using La Scalas (1980) for two channel music. Mostly  iPod, vinyl or CDs powered by a motley & random assortment of amps from an ONIX SP3 tube amp, to old Kenwood SS amps & receivers.  HT is mostly used for gaming and is powered by  a lower end Yamaha (RX-V471), using RF 52IIs, LR; KV-1 as Ctr., with SB2s bringing up the rear. (No Sub... I know, don’t even go there.) It’s been adequate for light TV and gaming use.

Recently, I’ve started playing with the La Scalas in the HT set up as LR mains. Obviously, the other speakers aren’t able to keep up. Now, I’m fortunate to also have a pair of Heresy 1s (1980 built by HDBRbuilder). I’ve found that replacing the KV-1 with a Heresy, produces some impressive results. So now I’m thinking; move both the Heresys to rear duty, with the La Scalas LR. All  good, except now I’m short a Center speaker. Which brings me to the question. Should I get a single (used) Heresy for the Center, or is something like an RP450C going to be a better idea? A single Heresy is going to be way more affordable. Thoughts? Criticisms? Room is appx. 12’X20’X8’

Also, feel free to weigh in on HT Receiver upgrade choices. Thanks in advance. 

• Moderators

I chose to do 3 LaScalas across the front.  Absolutely seamless front sound stage. 

I previously had RF-83 with an RC-64 and purchased a pair of LaScalas out of curiosity.  They blew the RF-83 out of the water so I purchased a third LaScala and compared each system.  I had always thought the RC-64 was an amazing center....the LaScala however is in a completely different category.

Michael-Stevens-La-Scala-Home-Theater-Bu

I personally don't believe the Reference Premier speaker would be a good fit as a center between LaScalas.  Completely different sound signatures.

• Like 3

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

As awesome as a 3rd La Scala would be, the room is likely too small for it?

My room is 13' x 19 x 10'.  VERY close to the size of your room and I don't feel they are too big for my room at all.

11 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

Plus, finding a single, used La Scala or Cornwall locally just isn’t going to happen.

I thought the exact same thing but posted a WTB in the forum and @wstrickland1 posted that he had 3 of them and a pair was being sold locally so he would have a single to sell to me.  To top it off, the next month, he would be driving from the NC to FL on a business trip and was willing to deliver it to my house!  If that wasn't enough, the single LaScala matched my pair almost identically!  With that said.....anything is possible.

14 minutes ago, M_Klipsch said:

Btw, Youthman’s theater room is spectacular.  

I certainly appreciate the kind words.

• Like 2

Nothing but a La Scala or conceivably a Belle Klipsch will do, IMO.  Others, including Cornwall and Heresy won't be a good enough timbre match.  PWK tried using them both in the center for his pioneering "Wide Stage Stereo," but after the La Scala, then later, the Belle, were available he urged people to use fully horn loaded designs for a center (i.e., the La Scala and Belle).

• Like 1

http://assets.klipsch.com/files/Dope_760600_v15n6.pdf

I'd buy another pair of La Scalas and store one...or alternatively sell one and keep one.  I'd also make space for a center La Scala in the room--assuming that there is room for a center channel at all. 

In my experience, the center channel easily needs to be the best loudspeaker that you own in order to timbre match, and match or exceed the apparent source width (ASW) of the left and right channel loudspeakers.

Chris

• Moderators

There's no reason you can't use something else in the meantime, but by all means, keep an eye out for a third or a pair of LaScalas.  I was fortunate enough to find another Youthman Deal on my three.  Patience and continually watching Craigslist, Offer Up, Let Go and Facebook Marketplace will pay off.

• Like 1

Well, obviously a 3rd La Scala, but in lieu of that I have a Heresy with a modified crossover that is similar to my modified Type AAs (also much like the Type HIE without a KLiP circuit).  The match is good, better than a KLF-C7 (excellent, but not a match), but not perfect.  I will gladly send you a copy of the schematic. 

59f3ee788ade0_2009HTSystem.JPG.d57ebd40aa26c7972463070a17cfa884.JPG

Can't come close to Youthman's, but given that my room is about what the OP has, there are ways to get the LaScala experience in a smaller space and still have a decent screen size.  My surrounds and rears are Academy. 

5a1dd6215fb40_HomeTheater.thumb.jpg.a6d8f66e7c443db73a4d5e33f1986cf8.jpg

This pic shows before I added fabric over the speakers to eliminate the glare. 

5a1dd8b35a0a0_HTSpeakers.thumb.jpg.8c0342469143a52e810351a4f46f3c00.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Youthman said:

Wow!  I've never seen a Mini-Scala.  That's pretty cool.  Looks like you had to modify it quite a bit.  What size woofer did you have to reduce it to make it that small?

Thanks Youthman.  Nice to get a compliment from  you. 

It's a full size woofer.  I widened the base bin to keep the volume the same.  I moved the tweeter to the side of the squawker and put it on it's side. I don't notice a difference, though someone with a better ear might.  Total height is 26 1/2". 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2017 at 10:40 AM, JohnA said:

Well, obviously a 3rd La Scala, but in lieu of that I have a Heresy with a modified crossover that is similar to my modified Type AAs (also much like the Type HIE without a KLiP circuit).  The match is good, better than a KLF-C7 (excellent, but not a match), but not perfect.  I will gladly send you a copy of the schematic. 

59f3ee788ade0_2009HTSystem.JPG.d57ebd40aa26c7972463070a17cfa884.JPG

Cool thanks for the offer. I’ve actually just found a single HeresyII to use as a Center. I’ve yet to re-engineer my space to fully accommodate the changes. Also the new used HeresyII - OO, has apparently spent the last thirty years with a two pack a day smoker, so I’m still cleaning it up. 

On 12/8/2017 at 12:24 AM, Trentster5172 said:

I have used a single Heresy III as a center for quite a while.  I’ve used it between a set of Heresy III’s, Fortes, Klipschorns and two pairs of LaScalas!!!  I now use it between my Jubilees.

DCF09C9E-E07D-4FA9-8F73-CF6FD7CEC915.jpeg

Nice! I’ve shown my wife pictures of Jubilees. She suddenly found my La Scalas much more appealing 😄.  I’m still trying work out placement for the Heresy II Center. The room is still in a state of chaos. The best sound seems to be where the TV is/was located. Second best is low, as you have yours positioned. Third choice is above which is a little worrisome due to stability concerns.  The stand which I designed and built around the Heresys, before the La Scalas were in the mix is now causing as many problems as solutions. Here is a pic of the way it was arranged. (I know the TV is tiny). I need to just build something else, and possibly correct the errors I made on the last one. I know others say the Heresy isn’t the best center with the La Scalas, but if you’ve made it work with all those great speakers I think I’m on the right track. At least it’s sounds good to my aging ears. I’ve never heard the Heresy III, but I’m guessing it’s at least close to the I & II. I see both you and JohnA have yours positioned horizontally. I need to try that out as well. Oh well, work in progress. Thanks for the input. 

7B77B7FC-7CFC-453B-81F5-462C4A2B8478.jpeg

On 12/10/2017 at 8:27 AM, Marvel said:

You should show her pics of DTEL's MWM setup... then she will thinks the Jubilees are small... :blink: I noticed that after you have LaScalas for awhile that they start looking... not so big.

Bruce

Coming from Dunlavy SC IV's that are 6 feet tall, my LaScala's seem normal to me. All I currently have on them is an Academy Center, and it just can't keep up with the LaScala right and left.