Altec lansing 511 B horns

boxerjake

Bump ... does no one treat this as a hobby any longer ?

When was the last time you seen a post of anyone doing the lower base bin mod on a lascala ... you know , taking the bottom door off and building a bin .

Seems like a plug and play hobby now :( 

Bought my first pair of lascala's new in 1979 ... long before 1/2 the forums current  members were born or still toddlers  , back then this was a hobby ...

We changed driver , we changed horns , we modified cabinets , we swapped out gear and cables ... no inter-net  back then , no E-BAY , no audio forums , no buy and sell websites ... Just guys swapping and trading and experimenting .

After the lascalas , I actually got my hands on a mint pair of Altec Lansing " Voice of the Theater " .... I kick myself every time I think I sold them for a crappy old pair of Altec Lansing Model 19's just because they took up less space in the living room .... lol

This pic is an example of what audio being a hobby is about ....

k's 008.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, billybob said:

Do tell, and welcome again...B)

Thanx .. but it would be " Welcome back "  ... I've been here since day one of the forum conception , leave every once and awhile once I get tired of the same old same old .. then return a year or two later to find the forum changed and my used name and posts all gone .

I think I'm on my 5th or 6th user name now ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking the time to share. Do think I can begin to understand where you are coming from. You do realize I know, the people you have influenced over the while then. Speaking for myself, I refer back to the older posts by members who once upon a time had something to say and share here. After being here for a period of time, I am just now beginning to get it. Maybe I am a little slow on the uptake but, finally. A hobby is a good thing. As you can see, people of all stripes and walks of life are keeping the mission alive. and well here. Sure, names and faces change over time. The love and appreciation of audio gear, and the music remains the same here. Younger crowd are hearing the difference. Enough so that, encouraged by the Heritage line, they are rebuilding, renovating, and refurbishing speakers here every day. Thanks for coming back home yet again, and welcome back!

The billybob told you that...FWIW

Somebody will have to have them horns:emotion-21:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wdecho said:

Much the same setup but not near as nice looking. X-over used? I changed my X-over for a simple 1st order without autotransformer after months of experimenting with around 20 or more combinations. 

My top hat design and forum member bluesboy did the work.  We called Al Klappenberger and after trying to sway us over to the 811 horn he designed something for the 511B.  Bluesboy then built the xovers.  1" mdf on the bass bins and Beyma tweets. 902 Altec drivers.

IMG_1640.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2017 at 1:33 PM, boxerjake said:

Bought my first pair of lascala's new in 1979 ... long before 1/2 the forums current  members were born or still toddlers  , back then this was a hobby ...

We changed driver , we changed horns , we modified cabinets , we swapped out gear and cables ... no inter-net  back then , no E-BAY , no audio forums , no buy and sell websites ... Just guys swapping and trading and experimenting .

After the lascalas , I actually got my hands on a mint pair of Altec Lansing " Voice of the Theater " .... I kick myself every time I think I sold them for a crappy old pair of Altec Lansing Model 19's just because they took up less space in the living room .... lol

This pic is an example of what audio being a hobby is about ....

k's 008.jpg

On 12/5/2017 at 12:04 PM, Tarheel said:

My top hat design and forum member bluesboy did the work.  We called Al Klappenberger and after trying to sway us over to the 811 horn he designed something for the 511B.  Bluesboy then built the xovers.  1" mdf on the bass bins and Beyma tweets. 902 Altec drivers.

IMG_1640.JPG

i like these mods...but not as cost

effective.....

• Like 2