La Scala Birch Raw cleaning and repair options?

brad0112

I picked up a pair of La Scala's tonight locally from 1978.  The code says Birch Raw, but they are not bare wood now and I assuming they have been stained.  

Any suggestions on what to use to clean them up - any kind of furniture oil or polish?  They are in pretty good shape...

There are a few chips/nicks here and there that can be expected for speakers 40 years old...would be it wise try and "color in" the chipped areas with a matching stain?

00Q0Q_7HRHZQbHol5_1200x900.jpg

I myself would see what was used for a cover coat on the wood and attempt to strip them IF I was looking for a big project.  Minor patching I would use some complementary wood putty to fill in the chips and sand.  The sky's the limit to what you may want to do, only limited by what you really want to invest in time.  Better pictures of the areas and tops would be helpful.

Key is just have fun.

If you're looking to perfectly hide the chips, the best solution is wood putty then paint the entire cabinet. I doubt you'll want to do that. Some putties will accept stains and oils so they may hide well. First practice with your filler of choice on a scrap piece of wood until you are satisfied with the results.

Depending on what they were finished with, i.e., polyurethane/varnish/shellac, you may not be able to spruce up the finish at all without stripping. Some finishes may penetrate the grain of the birch and will be more difficult to remove. If you do manage to remove the finish, I'd suggest a Watco oil in your choice of color, then a paste furniture wax. Multiple applications of the wax increase the shine, and you'll begin to see results after 3 coats. It's like waxing a car yet a very fast process.

If the bottoms have the same treatment as the rest of the cabinet, experiment there until you find what works, then apply the product and techniques to the rest of the cabinet.

I hope you'll post back with photos if you refinish them.

• Like 1