Need Some Snobs!: Oppo's and Oppo's and Oppo's...

The History Kid

Hey guys,

I know there are plenty of comparisons on "the Google" for this kind of thing - but I'm actually more interested in experiences of the folks here on this one. 

Earlier in the year I went the route of getting a 4K TV when my Sony took it's last breath.  That's fantastic and all, but all of my devices are still using HDMI 1.3, or 1.4.  I have an Oppo BDP-103 which supports 4K resolution, but not 4K playback necessarily.  I believe my PS4 is the same way.  This is more of a poor mans 4K I am sure.  Obviously my AVR is still running the old HDMI board that came with it from Emotiva, so it can't pass any kind of 4K resolution...

..in fact, even passing a resolution larger than 1920x1200 will make the TV stop recognizing the AVR altogether.  I experienced this issue with the Oppo most recently, but first discovered the problem when my new computer that I purchased (that does have native 4K) failed to display when running through the AVR.

At any rate - ARC allows me to bypass that for the time being, so I'm not concerned.  Here's where my question comes in.

My new temporary room will be 15'x15'.  The screen is a 49" LG OLED 4K TV.  It does not have Dolby Vision on it.  I currently have that BDP-103.  I know when I move this into a larger space or do other upgrades, the UDP-203 may be worth it, but at this scale would I notice any meaningful difference between the BDP-103 and the UDP-203?  Besides 4K support are there any tangible differences between the two systems?

Just looking for advice on whether or not it's a good thing to keep in mind for my next upgrade or if it's something that I'm not going to notice right now.

Even though I have a 4K HDR TV, my Oppo 105 is plenty sufficient and still has excellent picture quality with BD's and DVD's.  The TV obviously upscales to 4K as well as the Oppo 105.  If I want to watch a full resolution 4K BD, I just plug in my son's XBox One S.

As far as the 103 vs 203, you will lose streaming with the 203 but "may" gain a slight improvement in music audio.  Not sure about video improvement other than playing 4K BD's.

Bill

• Like 1

I did not know there wasn't any streaming on the 203.  I don't use it on mine by that's good to know.

5 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

What  streaming  is on the 103? I care more about  streaming than 4k.

What?  You wanna trade? :P

The difference on regular bluray offerings will be minimal but there is some gains in dynamic range... where you will notice a big difference is in HDR ultra disc playback.

Even on a 1080p plasma you can see a vast improvement in playback between the 203 and last gen Oppo in terms of dynamic range and black level handling... but you need to buy new movie discs.

• Like 2

I have both 103 and 203.....like both...203 has better user interface for network video/ music playback...and yes 4k is 4k (only got one 4k movie)

HDR kinda changes all TV settings to torch mode...is the 203 worth it................................sure...................maybe

George

• Like 3

^that doesn't even make sense... HDR increases dynamic range and provides true blacks. If your display is exhibiting a Vivid picture, then something in set up is wrong. Most every person that experiences HDR usually complains that the image is darker than normal but after getting use to the picture it is actuality much better.

Why are folks using an Oppo to stream... instead of directly to the monitor. The 203 will support online content access.

• Moderators

No Oppo, I'm cheap but wanted to try 4k with streaming since we have the TV already, so ordered this player tonight. It has good reviews and is $149, the only thing sony I have.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800

https://hometheaterreview.com/sony-ubp-x800-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

21 hours ago, dtel said:

No Oppo, I'm cheap but wanted to try 4k with streaming since we have the TV already, so ordered this player tonight. It has good reviews and is $149, the only thing sony I have.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800

https://hometheaterreview.com/sony-ubp-x800-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

FWIW, I'm very happy with this 4k Blu-ray player.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

FWIW, I'm very happy with this 4k Blu-ray player.

You have this player, I hope that's what you're saying because it's already ordered. All I could do was go by reviews, I didn't think to ask here for some crazy reason.

6 hours ago, The History Kid said:

My whole thing is...why does it have to be a non-standard sized player though?  What ever happened to good old fashioned 19" wide? lol

Oppo universal players?  They are 17" wide which is pretty much standard today.  Unless you are talking about the offerings from Sony, LG, Samsung, etc.?

Bill

10 hours ago, dtel said:

You have this player, I hope that's what you're saying because it's already ordered. All I could do was go by reviews, I didn't think to ask here for some crazy reason.

Yea, I'm using that Blu-ray player in my home theater setup with a Sony 75" 4k led tv.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

Yea, I'm using that Blu-ray player in my home theater setup with a Sony 75" 4k led tv.

Glad to hear that, cool TV. I have yet to see anything in 4K, not expecting much difference in pic it was more of the old Samsung BR was slow and the streaming connection was tough to connect at times. 

I have a Samsung top of the line BDP and the Oppo 203.  With blurays, the pic quality is pretty much identical on TV and using the projector.  Is there a major difference in SQ, to close to call.  I keep the Samsung for all the streaming options like Netflix, Amazon Video, Pandora and I Heart.

This sound like the Oppo is not a step up but, the Oppo has the option of functioning close to a home theater on it own.  Once I step up to 4K, maybe I will see a difference even though both units are 4K.

• Like 1

OPPO's are simply the best. I sold my Denon on ebay, and trashed the pioneer elite (not that good anyway), for another OPPO. Can't say enough good things about them, they are simply the best play out there, SABER DAC's, upsampling make their audio playback sound sublime compared to anything else out there in the same price range.

UDP-205-back-hr.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Gilbert said:

OPPO's are simply the best. I sold my Denon on ebay, and trashed the pioneer elite (not that good anyway), for another OPPO. Can't say enough good things about them, they are simply the best play out there, SABER DAC's, upsampling make their audio playback sound sublime compared to anything else out there in the same price range.

I would think you're right, great reviews. It is really nice with all the was to connect different things.

Looking at the back of the UDP 205, is the HDMI output still the best for sound if your receiver has HDMI ? I would guess the 7.1 outputs would be for a receiver without HDMI, or the optical out.