Worthwhile upgrade from KG 5.2 to Chorus I, or should I wait?

roughlytraded

My stereo setup is currently a Marantz 2230, a Technics SL-1100A turntable and a pair of Klipsch KG5.2 speakers. I've been looking for a Heritage speaker and found a pair of Chorus I for $500 -- seems like a pretty good deal for my budget, but I've never heard the Chorus before -- would this be a noticeable upgrade or should I wait for a pair of Chorus IIs? I mostly listen to jazz, soul, folk, funk, and rock -- not so much hip-hop. 

Thanks for your input!

5 minutes ago, roughlytraded said:

My stereo setup is currently a Marantz 2230, a Technics SL-1100A turntable and a pair of Klipsch KG5.2 speakers. I've been looking for a Heritage speaker and found a pair of Chorus I for $500 -- seems like a pretty good deal for my budget, but I've never heard the Chorus before -- would this be a noticeable upgrade or should I wait for a pair of Chorus IIs? I mostly listen to jazz, soul, folk, funk, and rock -- not so much hip-hop. 

Thanks for your input!

It would be an upgrade and a desirable significant upgrade. if in decent enough shape with speakers working.

I take a paper towel roll and gently put it into the tweeter and mid-range horns to check them out. The right music at the right volume will help out. Others here may chime in. BTW, what is the finish, black or other? Hope you have a chance at them. Some may say that even a blown tweeter, still a good deal. Who knows, maybe he is not firm so, a gentle offer may be in order or, you make that decision. Good fortune and anything else, ask here.

20 hours ago, roughlytraded said:

Thank you @billybob, they appear to be in good condition judging by photos but I'll check them out tonight. I've heard used Chorus speakers are prone to blown tweeters -- is that flaw going to be obvious when I'm testing them out? Just wondering what to listen for..

Hope you made out :emotion-44:

I have owned several pairs of both Chorus models over the years and a few of my friends and relatives still do. The tweeters will blow but you have to drive them pretty hard for that to happen. New tweeter diaphragms are relatively inexpensive so don't let that be a deal breaker if one or both do happen to be blown in fact I'd recommend replacing the stock tweeters anyway with the Crites titanium drivers. Post pictures if you get them, good luck!

1 minute ago, roughlytraded said:

I'm picking them up on Thursday and will definitely post pictures and first impression comparisons with the KG5.2. I've heard the Crites diaphragms are easy to install too -- I'll probably do that soon. The crossovers, though, seem like they require more experience. 

Congrats then in order. Plenty of time for that. Folk here can assist you. You may want to just give them a good relaxing listen to.

Looking forward to it!:emotion-21:

16 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

If the tweeters are prone to being overdriven, why aren't people fusing the speakers, or at least the tweeter output?

I wouldn't say they are prone to being overdriven, the handful of times I've seen them blow there was either an equipment failure (twice) or ridiculous amounts of alcohol consumed and plenty of hearing damage being caused, it takes a lot to blow them out actually. 

• Like 1

I have a pair of Chorus I's with crites TI diaphragms and I think they sound very good. I also have a pair of Forte ii and KG4.2. I can deff say that both those can extend down into the lower frequencies better because of the passive radiators. Thinking about extending the "vents" on the chorus' for power tuning, my goal would be around 32-35hz and then I think they would sound much better. I listen to a wide variety of music, classic rock, alternative, country, hip hop, R&B, EDM/electronic so I think I would benefit from the mod. And it could be reversible if needed. But great choice on speakers, I think you'll love them, the highs and Midrange sound so lively a whole different monster compared to my others [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bmassy said:

I have a pair of Chorus I's with crites TI diaphragms and I think they sound very good. I also have a pair of Forte ii and KG4.2. I can deff say that both those can extend down into the lower frequencies better because of the passive radiators. Thinking about extending the "vents" on the chorus'

Have you tried adding a sub like an RSW-15?  I love the Chorus mid-bass kick they just need a little help at the very bottom.

Since we're here, I'll chime that I have KG 5.2 and KP-201 (Heresy 2 pro) and there's a huge difference. I actually did really like the KG for video games when I had them plugged in, the extra-pronounced treble made for nice atmospheric sounds (very nice when I completed my Twilight Princess play on them) but the Heresies are more universal and much more musical. I use them exclusively now and they're great, the Chorus should just be bigger and better.

On 11/28/2017 at 10:12 AM, roughlytraded said:

I'm picking them up on Thursday and will definitely post pictures and first impression comparisons with the KG5.2. I've heard the Crites diaphragms are easy to install too -- I'll probably do that soon. The crossovers, though, seem like they require more experience. 

Well?

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:12 AM, roughlytraded said:

Lol, yes pics are cool but, are they home? Thanks!

Yep I picked them up, they're in great condition! Purchased from the original owners for $500 cash and a short drive to long island from brooklyn. you guys were right of course-- the midrange jump from the 2-way KG 5.2 to the 3-way Chorus drivers makes a big difference. I haven't noticed the bass reduction either, as I live in an apartment and have it reduced on the EQ anyway.

Regardless, i love these things!  the treble doesn't seem to have the same sparkle as the KGs -- maybe the titanium drivers would be an improvement? im very curious. 

pics of my set up are attached, including a shot of the KG5.2 next to the Chorus, for size reference :)

More images here

53380087910__0EF0D3DA-4A52-4BEC-9B06-BA636FE90064 copy.jpg

1ITFt1G.jpg

• Thanks 1