How loud can Klipsch speakers get?

yepimonfire

• 2 weeks later...

As many of you probably know, the Klipsch rating for maximum sustainable volume is 116 dB for the Heresy II and 121 dB for the La Scala and the La Scala II.  As far as I know, those figures are measured at 1 metre from the speakers, and they’re likely unmatched by nearly any other home speakers of any brand.

When it comes to the 402 JubScala IIs, max sustainable volume should be a bit higher, since the K-691 drivers are rated at 50 watts maximum input power, while the K-77 is rated at under 10 watts, if I’m not mistaken.  With 1000 watts available to each speaker (500 watts to the tweeter and 500 watts to the woofer), it’s still certain that compression will enter the picture at some point, so who knows?  REALLY LOUD is a given, but I don’t think I’ll ever fully explore that.  One evening, I was listening to a recording at fairly high volume, when it occurred to me that to get full chest-pounding IMPACT!, I should first get my hearing protectors on (my ears were already ringing a little), then crank it.  And then I thought a bit more, and decided that doing that would make me a really bad neighbour (I live in a condo building), so I cooled it.

However, on a few occasions, I’ve put on La Grange by ZZ Top at fairly high volume, and when the loud part kicks in (you know when that is), it’s almost scary.  A few friends have been very impressed/stunned by that moment of music.

And Trey?  I remember that picture from when you posted it years ago.  I was amazed enough to remember it to this day.