New Monolith Subwoofers!

johnnydrama

1 hour ago, babadono said:

And not cheap. Get one of them 15" ers and let us know how it is:)

Cheap is subjective, I think they are pretty cheap when compared to SVS comparable models. Which is saying quite a bit considering SVS is widely considered the best performance/value ratio in home theater subwoofers. 

1 hour ago, johnnydrama said:

Cheap is subjective, I think they are pretty cheap when compared to SVS comparable models. Which is saying quite a bit considering SVS is considered the best performance/value ratio in home theater subwoofers. 

I think Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba HT  Low Profile is the best performance/value ratio in HT subwoofers. You can have one built if you don't have the sawdust chops. Unless you can afford 4-8 of these along with the electric bill on the power amps, you won't get low distortion of big horns any other way.

Just now, ClaudeJ1 said:

I think Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba HT  Low Profile is the best performance/value ratio in HT subwoofers. You can have one built if you don't have the sawdust chops. Unless you can afford 4-8 of these along with the electric bill on the power amps, you won't get low distortion of big horns any other way.

My statement was made as a general majority consensus for products that are readily available/mass produced and people are familiar with. It did not include any DIY options.

Therefore, I stand behind my original statement about SVS Subwoofers.

5 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I think Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba HT  Low Profile is the best performance/value ratio in HT subwoofers. You can have one built if you don't have the sawdust chops.

I value your opinion on this. I have never seen or heard one, so am curious, how large is, and how much does a new Tuba HT Low Profile (with amplifier) cost, delivered? 

20 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I value your opinion on this. I have never seen or heard one, so am curious, how large is, and how much does a new Tuba HT Low Profile (with amplifier) cost, delivered? 

Horn subs are BIG and when you pay someone to build them, the price goes UP!  You have to pay labor to build one and shipping on a small refrigerator the value goes down but they play very clean.  Of course amplifiers are extra.

3 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Should have them by tomorrow. I should let you know by monday, but they are sub #4 and #3 for me, since I have adequate bass now, I just want the room smoother. I had 3 Danley TH-50's in my last HT at the GF house, but since I left there, I"ve not had the room for more than 2 until now, since I've always wanted to try 4. I will run curves so yo have objective data.

4 hours ago, johnnydrama said:

My statement was made as a general majority consensus for products that are readily available/mass produced and people are familiar with. It did not include any DIY options.

Therefore, I stand behind my original statement about SVS Subwoofers.

Nothing wrong with your original statement. Direct radiators are a compromise over horns, even in the sub bass arena. How about a hybrid approach to getting the 18" Parts Express top of the line kits, where you only assemble and paint? That's also a better bang for the buck. Lots of choices for sure.