La Scala + Academy In The House

ka7niq

5 hours ago, Quiet_Hollow said:

What model Elite are you using?

I wouldn't recommend running any of the D3 product as such. To do so defeats several of it's unique advantages.

This is a Pioneer VSX 94THX Elite, it does not have the D3 digital amps, it uses the Direct Energy amp, but it has the full band phase control, and several of the digital gizmo's of the newer D3 amps, like Standing Waves, oversampling, etc, etc.

I only bought it because my ONKYO TX NR 809 crapped out. I had a Pioneer SC 81, with the digital D3 Amp, but sold it, because it did not sound good on the Big Dunlavy SC IV's. Actually, nothing sounded great on them, but the ONKYO TX NR 809 sounded better, so I sold that Pioneer. My Son has one, he also has B&W 702's. He ordered an Anthem Receiver, and it took away much of the magic of the B&W 702's compared to the Pioneer :( 

He returned the Anthem Receiver to Crutchfield, and ordered that brand new 3,000.00 Marantz. So, his old Pioneer will soon be mine.

ONKYO is repairing my TX NR 809 as we speak.

I have been using a Pioneer Elite VSX 94 THX Non Digital amp receiver on them. It has preamp outputs on it, so I hooked up one of my QSC PLX amps to the La Scala's. My, what a difference.

I only bought this Pioneer receiver because my Onkyo TX NR 809 is down right now. I never thought this was an awesome sounding receiver.

It is going to be interesting to compare my Onkyo 809 with this QSC PLX amp.

On my Dunlavy SC IV Speakers, I actually thought the Onkyo sounded every bit as good as the QSC, perhaps even better, because believe it or not, it has a warmer sound on the big Dunlavy SC IV's.

I also have a big Apogee Amp I want to try on these La Scala's.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

I have been using a Pioneer Elite VSX 94 THX Non Digital amp receiver on them. It has preamp outputs on it, so I hooked up one of my QSC PLX amps to the La Scala's. My, what a difference.

I only bought this Pioneer receiver because my Onkyo TX NR 809 is down right now. I never thought this was an awesome sounding receiver.

It is going to be interesting to compare my Onkyo 809 with this QSC PLX amp.

On my Dunlavy SC IV Speakers, I actually thought the Onkyo sounded every bit as good as the QSC, perhaps even better, because believe it or not, it has a warmer sound on the big Dunlavy SC IV's.

I also have a big Apogee Amp I want to try on these La Scala's.

Lol, that sounds great I bet. Would have to try that TEAC thoughB)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Lol, that sounds great I bet. Would have to try that TEAC thoughB)

LOL, what TEAC :) 

The La Scala's are new to me, and I am finding them to be quite critical of different electronics.

That is, in a good way. I am probably gonna buy a Harman Kardon AVR 247 receiver today, and see how that sounds on the LaScala's.

I found a real deal on one,  so I can easily re sell it, if it does not make the team.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

LOL, what TEAC :) 

The La Scala's are new to me, and I am finding them to be quite critical of different electronics.

That is, in a good way. I am probably gonna buy a Harman Kardon AVR 247 receiver today, and see how that sounds on the LaScala's.

I found a real deal on one,  so I can easily re sell it, if it does not make the team.

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Lol, Was going to try an H/K AVR 40 that came with mine. Audioreview likes... it pretty well. Will be interested to see what you think of your H/K

Cool

Lol, may as well hook the Academy.

• Like 1

Just now, billybob said:

Lol, Was going to try an H/K AVR 40 that came with mine. Audioreview likes... it pretty well. Will be interested to see what you think of your H/K

Cool

My Gut Instincts tell me a decent little all Tube Integrated amp would be the amp of choice of these La Scala's. However, that will mean giving up movie watching and my Academy Center, as well as my balance control :(

Not to mention probably giving up remote control altogether.

So, that kind of leaves using  some kind of receiver with pre amp outs, or a surround processor.

The Harman Kardon Receivers with pre outs are very old school with the way they do their preamp outputs. They have a metal jumper you simply remove to get preamp level output vs buffered outputs.

Plus, Harman Kardon was held in high regard by PWK it is said, because of the work on T.I.M. Distortion done by Dr Matti Otala from Finland.

So, there is a chance the HK AVR 247 may sound ok on the Scala's ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, billybob said:

Lol, may as well hook the Academy.

The Academy has been hooked up from day one, even when I was unable to get the LaScala's out of my truck, I was able to take the Academy inside by myself, and hook it up.

I like it very much, I really do! 

• Like 1

There are ways of doing both of course. Switching from tube integrated and still using the avr. Think it will sound really nice the 247.

Never had the Academy but, as you know, lots left in the archives here. Be back with an article I just read yesterday about flea watt tubes.

• Like 1

Just now, billybob said:

There are ways of doing both of course. Switching from tube integrated and still using the avr. Think it will sound really nice the 247.

Never had the Academy but, as you know, lots left in the archives here. Be back with an article I just read yesterday about flea watt tubes.

Yes, Adcom made a device that provides a surround decoder, and a 3 ch amplifier for the center and 2 surrounds. This way, I guess you can have all tubes on the Scala's, and still keep some kind of surround system. 

• Like 1

Here it is:

It is worth the read if not done before. Some history as well. New to owning LS myself. There are many here as you may know, with vast experience with the LS. Way behind others here.:

file:///C:/Users/Nancy/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/LSIIbySam.pdf

2 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

Yes, Adcom made a device that provides a surround decoder, and a 3 ch amplifier for the center and 2 surrounds. This way, I guess you can have all tubes on the Scala's, and still keep some kind of surround system. 

Think so too! Just a matter of sorting out what works out best for convenience. Niles may have a decent one too.

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Here it is:

It is worth the read if not done before. Some history as well. New to owning LS myself. There are many here as you may know, with vast experience with the LS. Way behind others here.:

file:///C:/Users/Nancy/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/LSIIbySam.pdf

Think so too! Just a matter of sorting out what works out best for convenience. Niles may have a decent one too.

I haven't upgraded my crossover caps yet, but to my ears, the La Scala's cry out for TUBES.

Although they sound MUCH better with the QSC PLX 1602 then the Pioneer Elite VSX 94

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

I haven't upgraded my crossover caps yet, but to my ears, the La Scala's cry out for TUBES.

Although they sound MUCH better with the QSC PLX 1602 then the Pioneer Elite VSX 94

fortunately, there is time to do the crossovers. For now, I will be just listening.

• Like 1