Buying advice rp260 vs rp280 (and receiver vs Integrated amp)

PoorAudiophile

So I’m going to finally buy the loudspeakers I have been wanting for ages. Just bought a smallish apartment so the room the speakers will be in isn’t that big (5m x 3m). The flat is pretty open plan so there is a lot of place for the sound to drift off. With that in mind I was thinking if I get the RP280s they will be sufficient for full range in my new place. And if I move in the future I can buy a sub. My predominate use case is for music. I don’t watch many movies and if I do it will be Netflix or iTunes movies so I’m ok with just clear audio for that. But I want my music to sound great (I know that won’t compare to my headphones but hopefully they can get close with clarity and and and).

So the question is in my use case, which loudspeaker is the safest bet? Also what should I pair it with? My budget isn’t great so I was thinking the Denon avr x540bt. But I’m afraid it will let the speakers down for music but I like the all in one receiver for hdmi switching and convenience etc. But if it’s worth the work around then I can make a plan and get a stereo amp/integrated amp instead and get additional stuff to make the rest happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PoorAudiophile,

Welcome to the forum.

I am a firm believer that going the separates(preamp/amp) route or integrated amp route will extract the best that your speakers have to offer.  Not saying a quality AVR can't do them justice but the "potential" is most always more with an integrated or separates.

Bill

List you dollar amount and there will be more help with getting an integrated amp or avr.

Dollar amount is tricky because I live in South Africa and they don’t translate so well and stock is limited.

Speakers I have R20k-24k and avr/amp around R10k

The places I can get stuff, to put those amounts in perspective, and if you want to check are:
https://www.takealot.com
http://cplanaudio.co.za
http://ultrasound.co.za

If you can afford it go with the Rp280f and a decent integrated like the Rotel Ra-1572, Nad C388 or maybe Yamaha A-S1100.

You might be able to find a great deal on something like Nad C375 as it has been replaced by the C388.

Most people will propably tell you that you don't need the power as they are very sensitive speakers. And many of those people propably know way better than me to be honest. 😉 But i like to have some more headroom, again i do tend to crank the volume a bit more then most people.

Oh, and i actually own a pair of Rp280's, they are great and i actually like them a bit more then my Rf7 ll in some regards.

I have had a few amps on mine. Starting with the Nad C375. (Great and cheap) Vincent SV 234 (powerful and quite good, but not as good as newer alternatives) Hegel H160 (very good but expensive) Rotel RA-1592 (the best amp i've ever owned) and currently a Rotel RA-1572. Not as good as the RA-1592 but the 1592 got an upgrade and are now running the Rf7's as they are hungrier for power.

I hope that helps a bit.

If you can afford it go with the Rp280f and a decent integrated like the Rotel Ra-1572, Nad C388 or maybe Yamaha A-S1100.
You might be able to find a great deal on something like Nad C375 as it has been replaced by the C388.

Most people will propably tell you that you don't need the power as they are very sensitive speakers. And many of those people propably know way better than me to be honest. [emoji6] But i like to have some more headroom, again i do tend to crank the volume a bit more then most people.

Oh, and i actually own a pair of Rp280's, they are great and i actually like them a bit more then my Rf7 ll in some regards.
I have had a few amps on mine. Starting with the Nad C375. (Great and cheap) Vincent SV 234 (powerful and quite good, but not as good as newer alternatives) Hegel H160 (very good but expensive) Rotel RA-1592 (the best amp i've ever owned) and currently a Rotel RA-1572. Not as good as the RA-1592 but the 1592 got an upgrade and are now running the Rf7's as they are hungrier for power.

I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for the advice. Managed to find a place to audition them but they only had the rp250f on show but I was thoroughly impressed. So i ordered the 280s on special right after. They were playing them off a Marantz integrated amp 50wpc and it played loud and full. And the 280s are more efficient so I’m guessing 50wpc would do fine for them as well?

Well. As i said, i might be the wrong guy to ask. I certainly wouldn't recommend skimping on the amp. The Rp280f really are great speakers for the money i think. And they really shine when paired with good electronics.