anyone here worked out a hornresp model for the University Dean?

karlson3

so Jorg's California did 30-150 range and the Sato horn worked from 150 up = impressive - I'd like to hear the California but can not afford nor find a local builder.  i might like to sometime sell my FH1 to make room for other toys.  How much path do you see in the Dean ? - am guessing roughly 4 ft.

regarding "compact",  Beck's California is a bit larger than the Classic - I get 22.6 cubic feet for the California (~32.5" deep by 40.8" high by 29.5 wide) -  is that right ?

got a Klipsch kuestion  - what size throat did PWK use on his LB76?

look how similar

29L9SNp.jpg

Strongly leaning toward building some University cabs for my Belle drivers.

Couple questions about the Dean/Classic:

Does the Dean still perform better in a corner?  If no corners, is the Classic a better choice?

Do they need to be resting directly on the floor for best performance or could I elevate them a bit?

Does the K33e seem like a good match?  Karlson3 shared the graphs, thanks for that, but I was wondering if anyone has done it and has impressions.

It sounds like a sub may still be in the mix no matter which of the domesticated 15" horn designs you choose...  Is this true of the Universities and/or the California?

(I'm currently running some Wharfedale w70s without a sub and couldn't imagine needing one, if that adds perspective.)

I'm a novice at interpreting the graphs, but that's what I'm getting from what's been posted so far.  Just making sure the real world performance isn't drastically different.

So the Classic/Dean beat the LaScala/Belle designs in extension, from what I'm seeing...  Do the PWK designs excel at anything over the University designs?

I remember the Belles as being extremely clear and lively, but with no real punch...  Even compared to my B&W bookshelves. 

5 hours ago, Kilroy said:

I remember the Belles as being extremely clear and lively, but with no real punch...  Even compared to my B&W bookshelves. 

Any speaker benefits from being in a corner.

I gotta say B&W bookshelves do not compare to Belles. The only advantage over Belles is that B&W tweeter. There had to be something wrong with the Belles if that is your opinion. I lived with Belles for many years and are one of the speakers I regret selling the most. They have a little better bass than La Scala I's but about even with II's....

The Deans would be a cool build. Always thought they were cool but never heard them.

2 minutes ago, seti said:

Any speaker benefits from being in a corner.

I gotta say B&W bookshelves do not compare to Belles. The only advantage over Belles is that B&W tweeter. There had to be something wrong with the Belles if that is your opinion. I lived with Belles for many years and are one of the speakers I regret selling the most. They have a little better bass than La Scala I's but about even with II's....

The Deans would be a cool build. Always thought they were cool but never heard them.

Maybe there was something wrong with them, I lived with them for about 10 years and would take a cd from my collection and listen to it on my system... Denon Receiver, B&W Bookshelves, bottom tier Sharp CD player...   Nice imaging and good full sound.

Take it to my dads system...  Way higher SPL...  for sure, slightly more even sounding, but no sound stage to speak of and almost hollow sounding...

That said, today I'm running my Wharfedales on the exact same Nakamichi Stasis system he had for the Belles, and it's transformed those speakers.  Better in every way.  So I don't think it was the system.  Add to that, in the simple backless cabs he built for the Belle Drivers, the sound is really good compared to what I remembered from the belles, and I'm excited about getting them back into proper cabs and living with them a while.

He had them professionally installed, but I wonder if they had something wired wrong or something.

I'm really wavering between recreating the Belle's and going with the Deans...  I think the wife would like the vintage look of the Dean with nice grills, but I think the Belles might have higher resale value if done right and they have a smaller footprint.

Hope that's not too much of a hijack of Karlson's thread. B)

If I had space and a good worshop I would build the Classic cabs. They are big, but trimming the outside as Nico did really would help the looks. His refurb thread is a gold mine on making those huge boxes elegant looking.

A good set of plans for JC's 'Snails' would be nice. Ian... you should try them on their sides so they would project like the Classics. I think that would make them less placement sensitive.

Bruce

• 2 years later...

I have a pair of University Deans. The caps have been replaced in the crossovers and I upgraded the Cobraflex drivers to T-50 ( still have the original T-30). The cabinets are in very good condition considering that they are  55+ year old. 

I am curious what they are worth as I am considering selling them in the near future to downsize homes. The speakers are located in Central Texas