GBShade684

I haven't been to the forums in a few years, so my knowledge isn't fresh on home audio (parent of four young kids, work, etc...).  I'm about to undergo a home addition and I have a bit of a clean slate to develop a new home theater room.  Dimensions on the room are not set yet, but I've got a $7k - $10k budget for my home theater.  It will be 99% home theater usage, I expect little to no other usage.  Because of this I'm leaning towards the new RF7s and RC64 along with ?? surrounds and dual R-115SW.  I really need help on determining whether I should go pre-amp & amp or just a nice AVR.  I'm leaning AVR for the simplicity, but I'm looking for suggestions here as well.  Looking forward to the fantastic feedback from the Klipsch community that I remember!

Welcome back. Just one option put together quickly for your consideration and to put the budget into perspective.

New RF-7IIIs = $3,900/pair

New RC-64III = $1,500

R-115SW = $1,800/pair

$7,200

Integra DHC-80.3 + Outlaw Model 5000 = $1,200

Epson 2150 + 120" Silver Ticket Screen = $900

Oppo 203 = $550

Grand total for an enviable HT = $9,850 (sans taxes)

Use your 83s for surrounds and you might have some $$ left over for popcorn :D. Although, my tendency would be to look at the used markets or IIs for the LCR to save some cash. Best of luck. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Probably be worthwhile to reach out to @MetropolisLakeOutfitters and see what they could do for a package deal.

• Like 1

Thanks Hayduke.  I'll start researching those items.  Do you have that amp/pre-amp setup, or just a preferred setup you've seen used?

I haven't made a determination on whether to go projector or large UHD/SUHD tv, but I'll check out the Oppo. 

Note, my existing speakers are 82s, not 83s, although I definitely wish they were 83s!!!

Projector vs TV will be a pretty big factor here, it's going to be a big part of the budget either way you go. 4k / HDR isn't quite there yet in my opinion when it comes to projection and what is available is fairly expensive. 

I think the performance you get from your speakers using an outboard amplifier is worth it, but I am sure YMMV. And that said, the bad thing these days is preamp/processors are considered higher end with generally better features so you are almost better off just buying an ARV with preouts on it. 

Make sure you think long and hard before buying. I have bought stuff in this hobby only to turn around and sell it within a few years because I was ready to upgrade or didn't really keep the end game in mind. 

Consider shopping on Craigslist, forums, ebay and even doing DIY subs. Your money will go so much further it is totally worth it.

7 hours ago, GBShade684 said:

Do you have that amp/pre-amp setup, or just a preferred setup you've seen used?

I do not have that combo, as I'm currently running with the Denon avr-x4100 and happy with that. If I was to make the jump to the separates world, that Integra and outlaw amp would probably be the way I'd go as they appeal to the best bang for the buck approach. 

6 hours ago, holtrp said:

keep the end game in mind. 

Good idea there.

11 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

If you're starting fresh, a projector is the only way to fly.  

^^^Agree!

AND separates over an AVR. Gives you lots of options down the road. AVRs/Processors change frequently and the price drops like a rock in just a couple of years. Your screen and amps can be with you for a very long time. I have 4 two channel amps that are over 20 years old. Guarantee they sound better then any AVR. Coming form the Klipsch side like many of us do it is my opinion that the sound is very, very important for a good home theater experience.

Consider a constant height screen or make it easy on yourself and only even think about a 2.4:1 screen. You projector changes its zoom to always fill the screen top to bottom. You get different widths of "black" on the sides. Again, my opinion but the only way to go.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

If you're starting fresh, a projector is the only way to fly.  

Epson 2150 + 120" Silver Ticket Screen?

You were also recommended for pricing out a package.  I live outside of STL, could you help a fellow audioholic out?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rplace said:

^^^Agree!

AND separates over an AVR. Gives you lots of options down the road. AVRs/Processors change frequently and the price drops like a rock in just a couple of years. Your screen and amps can be with you for a very long time. I have 4 two channel amps that are over 20 years old. Guarantee they sound better then any AVR. Coming form the Klipsch side like many of us do it is my opinion that the sound is very, very important for a good home theater experience.

Consider a constant height screen or make it easy on yourself and only even think about a 2.4:1 screen. You projector changes its zoom to always fill the screen top to bottom. You get different widths of "black" on the sides. Again, my opinion but the only way to go.

Would Epson 2150 + 120" Silver Ticket Screen meet your criteria?  I've researched tvs and audio extensively (although my separates memory is quite fuzzy) but I've never seriously considered/researched a projector. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:48 AM, haydukej said:

Integra DHC-80.3 + Outlaw Model 5000 = $1,200

What about Emotiva?  I had always liked that brand from a aesthetic perspective, but with no first hand knowledge, I'm not sure it would be the equivalent to the Outlaw 500 mentioned above.  I'll be doing my own research here, but just wondering if there were any thoughts? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GBShade684 said:

Would Epson 2150 + 120" Silver Ticket Screen meet your criteria?  I've researched tvs and audio extensively (although my separates memory is quite fuzzy) but I've never seriously considered/researched a projector. 

120" would really depend on the wall size, how far you plan to sit back, room configuration, etc. I'm really not up on the Epson screens. I did just recently buy an Epson projector, 5040UB and am very happy with it. It replaced my 10+year old Panasonic which I was also very happy with.

Check out ProjectorCentral.com lots of good tools for calculating screen size for various projectors and room sizes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GBShade684 said:

Those two items I have in my setup and I'm very happy with them. They provide a great experience and fit my beer-budget very nicely for 1080. The 2150 is one of two projectors, the other being the BenqHT2050, as the best projectors under $1k based on the conversations over at avsforums. I went with the epson 2150 as I wanted a longer throw and the cheaper lamp replacements. Silver Ticket does offer 2.35:1 screens in 115" and 125" options, although they cost a little more than my 16:9 120". The whole Silver Ticket series gets great reviews for a budget friendly screen. I haven't had any personal experience with Emotivas, but there's definitely a lot of fans of them.

• Like 1

You can also get an avr with preouts and use it with an amp.  I've be doing this for year and prefer if to buying a separate processor.  Good processor are expensive and the processor on a good avr are on par with separate processors for less money and more options. 

• Like 2

On 11/29/2017 at 12:23 PM, GBShade684 said:

I really need help on determining whether I should go pre-amp & amp or just a nice AVR.  I'm leaning AVR for the simplicity, but I'm looking for suggestions here as well. 

Modern AVR's are full featured with Atmos, HDR, 4k passthrough, and many listening modes for Dolby, etc.  They sound great and as you said have simplicity as a major selling point.  There is nothing magical about "separates."  If you run a flagship or near-flagship AVR and feel you need more power they have pre-outs and you can add amps.

If you have an AVR price range I'm sure people here can suggest specific items that will fit that budget.  If there's one thing the Klipsch community is good at it's helping other people spend their money (wisely).  B)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

If you have an AVR price range I'm sure people here can suggest specific items that will fit that budget.  If there's one thing the Klipsch community is good at it's helping other people spend their money (wisely).  B)

Overall budget is around $7K - $10K (maybe more?)

I found RF7ii for $2K, RC64ii for $1K, I have my rears (RF82ii) already.  I'm going to assume @haydukej was right on pricing for the Epson and screen, so round up that's another $1K.  All that and I'm at $4K.  So I've got $3K - $6K for an AVR (or separates) and surround speakers.  I keep hearing about atmos, but I have no idea what that is.  Quick search showed Klipsch has the RP-140SA I could put on top of my RF82ii for another $1K.  So I'm down to $2K - $5K for an AVR, but I guess I still need the surrounds?  I currently have a pioneer, and I've heard good things about their elite series.  Anyone have one that could provide feedback?

Side note, if there are AVRs that have apps where I could use my phone to control the AVR, that would be awesome.  With kids, I've gone through many remotes, but I manage to keep my phone out of their grubby little hands usually!

I have been using Pioneer Elites the pass 7 years and like them.  The new ones have top of the line DAC's; the preamp and amp are housed in separate compartments to keep noise down.  The have discrete amp and have plenty of power.  My SC 99 can swing 255 watts into 4 ohms.  I use a 5 channel power amp for the front, FH and center with the rest of the speakers powered by the avr.  I use the preamp from the Pioneer to run the show.  Separate processor will go out of date quickly and then you have spent a lot of money and need to update it.

Companies like Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo and others have an advantage due to their large production.  They can get quality parts cheaper than the boutique processor and amp company so, they can lower the price dramatically without sacrificing quality.  A comparative advantage never hurts.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GBShade684 said:

I found RF7ii for $2K, RC64ii for $1K, I have my rears (RF82ii) already.  I'm going to assume @haydukej was right on pricing for the Epson and screen, so round up that's another $1K.  All that and I'm at $4K.  So I've got $3K - $6K for an AVR (or separates) and surround speakers.  I keep hearing about atmos, but I have no idea what that is.  Quick search showed Klipsch has the RP-140SA I could put on top of my RF82ii for another $1K. 

So I'm down to $2K - $5K for an AVR, but I guess I still need the surrounds?  I currently have a pioneer, and I've heard good things about their elite series.  Anyone have one that could provide feedback?

I believe @derrickdj1 has the Pio Elite.  I sent an alert to him using the @ sign so he will see this post.

Side note, if there are AVRs that have apps where I could use my phone to control the AVR, that would be awesome.  With kids, I've gone through many remotes, but I manage to keep my phone out of their grubby little hands usually!

I have the Marantz SR-6011.  It has an excellent remote control app for my iPhone.  It can control every function in a user friendly way.

+++

Atmos is the latest and greatest sound reproduction system, the next thing after 5.1, 7.1, etc.  It uses upfiring speakers (or in-ceiling speakers) to create 3D ambience such as a soccer ball whistling past your ear from right front to back right.  Most of the newest AVR's have that feature built-in.  My Marantz supports it but I don't use it.  If you do use it make sure it supports 4 Atmos modules, as in 5.1.4.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GBShade684 said:

... So I'm down to $2K - $5K for an AVR, but I guess I still need the surrounds?  I currently have a pioneer, and I've heard good things about their elite series.  Anyone have one that could provide feedback?

Those 82s will work well for your surrounds if you want to save some money at the moment. Don't forget about the sub(s)! The second most important speaker for HT, following the center channel. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GBShade684 said:

What about Emotiva? 

I had always liked that brand from a aesthetic perspective, but with no first hand knowledge, I'm not sure it would be the equivalent to the Outlaw 500 mentioned above.  I'll be doing my own research here, but just wondering if there were any thoughts? 

Paging @teaman.  Tim is our resident Emotiva guru.  B)

He can give you a first-hand account on the pros and cons of Emotiva and is knowledgeable on the various models and options.

• Like 1