Center Speaker Height

ksquared

OK, for the home theater setup, is there somewhat a perfect center speaker height to match the floor standing speakers?

Right now, I can go with 36"  but still go up to about 41" so before I decide it would be good to have some expert input.  And that measurement is to the bottom of the speaker, maybe it is better to measure to the midpoint of the speaker when calculating height?

I would think that the center speaker should be set at horizontal 0°, but maybe my assumption is wrong and it should be at a slight angle either up or down.

It would be the RC-64II center speaker, and with the RF-7II floor speakers.

Is there any chart that could be found listing the best height based on the floor speakers?

in theory it is ideal of all speakers to have either the center of the tweeter or the middle between the tweeter and highest driver beneath it in a vertical configuration.

since most horizontal centers are used under a tv its assumed it will be tilted up or down to point as mentioned above.  there are adjustable feet under the center for tilting up or down.

an rf7 has a big horn and GENERALLY will point close enough to your ears you dont need to adjust.  in addition, trying to tilt a floorstanding speaker or put it on a platform can have issues.

the best height is where the center of the tweeter points.  if you can make your seating like this its ideal.  now when it isnt like that its normal and how almost everybody uses them.  there is flexibility of say 10 to 15 degrees where it will sound pretty much the same.  

so unless you are way above or below the rf7s, klipsch intended just about anyone sitting at least 8 to 10 feet away to hear the tweeter perfectly.  the center should be mounted as close to ear height as possible.  but as long as the rc64 isnt on the floor it will likely tilt and sound great.  the rf7s help lock in the higher image from the  center too.

12 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

so unless you are way above or below the rf7s, klipsch intended just about anyone sitting at least 8 to 10 feet away to hear the tweeter perfectly.  the center should be mounted as close to ear height as possible.  but as long as the rc64 isnt on the floor it will likely tilt and sound great.  the rf7s help lock in the higher image from the  center too.

OK thank you for the information.  So I think I'm understanding.  Somewhat since the RF-7II is designed to be the right height for the tweeter, putting the center speaker at ear level should work.

I guess it isn't surprising, but measuring to ear level works out to be about the same as my initial guess of the RF-7II tweeter height. 

My initial guess about placement though was probably too high, as I was going to put it up almost as high as I could get it inside the entertainment center.

A lot of the question deals with if you are talking about a TV vs a Projections Screen.  I use an RC 64 which is about about a good foot or a bit more below the RF 7' II's.  The sound is fine without tilting it up.  But, I am one that does not like the tweeters of the RF 7's or any other speaker pointing directly at my ears.  That rules applies more for non-horn speakers due to the directivity, IMHO.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, ksquared said:

My initial guess about placement though was probably too high, as I was going to put it up almost as high as I could get it inside the entertainment center.

If it's much more convenient to fit in the entertainment center a little high, just angle it to your listening position.  

Just be carefull if rear ported, it's not good to be enclosed in a cabinet.

10 minutes ago, dtel said:

If it's much more convenient to fit in the entertainment center a little high, just angle it to your listening position.  

Just be carefull if rear ported, it's not good to be enclosed in a cabinet.

You know, I wondered about being in the cabinet.  Now, the back has an opening about 18", which would mitigate any problem a bit.  I too also figured angled down a degree or two might be even better than horizontal, but that was just more guessing on my part.  You know, gravity helps the sound travel. <_<

But from my research, the RC-64II is a front-ported speaker. 

I'll tangentially add, I have no idea why a rear-ported center speaker would be good at all, but what do I know, not much.

1 hour ago, ksquared said:

But from my research, the RC-64II is a front-ported speaker. 

No.  The RC-64II is a sealed speaker or often referred to as acoustic suspension.

I don't think there is any "perfect" height for your horizontal center speaker but do suggest it's horn's line of fire being on the same plane as your front left/right speakers.

Bill

5 hours ago, willland said:

suggest it's horn's line of fire being on the same plane as your front left/right speakers.

Bill

5 hours ago, TasDom said:

^^^^This!

OK, but that's what I'm wondering, as I'm trying to do the height of the RC-64II without having the RF-7II speaker here.  So my question then is what is that height?  I don't know if there might be a dimensional drawing of the RF-7II somewhere showing this?

17 minutes ago, ksquared said:

OK, but that's what I'm wondering, as I'm trying to do the height of the RC-64II without having the RF-7II speaker here.  So my question then is what is that height?  I don't know if there might be a dimensional drawing of the RF-7II somewhere showing this?

Just measured my 7II's From the ground up, it's 42.5" to the center of the horn tweeter.