KLF-10's or RF-3's on 6L6 SET/SEP amp work in small room?

amb3cog

Hey guys. Sorry busy as all heck. I did grab that HH Scott integrated yesterday. Still haven't been able to do the speakers yet, but talked to the guy with the RF-3's. Maybe tomorrow, or Monday. 

I'll put up all the info with pics, and stuff when I have time. I just tried to add pics, and they're too big on my fancy shmanty phone it seems. How do I do thumbnails? Or should I just use an app to shrink them? Take me ones that are smaller? 

• Like 1

Thanks again guys. I have to be to work, before it will even get up to full operating temperature, but I just quickly hooked it up anyway. And I may not need those speakers. The bass is much harder/heavier now. Plus now I have tone controls. So I can boost it one notch, and it makes a little more. I know I shouldn't boost it a lot, and crank it up. 

But I'm listening to Mike Watt rip it up right now with Firehose (Chemical Wire), and it sounds great. Exactly the bass tone I expect. And I tried The Chain to see what the kick drum sounded like and much, much better then before. 

I can't say how it compares to my SET/SEP in sound quality yet. But so far it's doing its best to keep up. And fairing pretty well I might add. We'll see. It hasn't even warmed up though, and I'm impressed.

Have a good night guys. I'm late for work. :)

• Thanks 1

Yea those speakers seem to be made for tubes. They sound fine on my SS Sansui 8900zdb, but sound amazing on both tube amps. They really have a nice voicing too them. Instruments sound like they should, as do voices. But they have a bit of magic to them. The woofer/tweeter really mesh well. Seamlessly I guess you'd say. Some of my other speakers aren't like that. Like my KLH Model 33's do on instruments, but in some sources. The voices are just off. 

And some speakers like my Advent 5012-w's which actually have the old fried egg tweeters in them to replace the originals which went bad I guess. Sound very coherent, and seamless also. But there's no magic. I think it's the horns. I got to hear Klipschorns for the first time yesterday on this Scott amp, and they had the same thing going on. But a little different obviously. The bass was very nice. I really like that big cabinet bass sound. 

And I still could use a little more volume when I really want to rock out. But realistically there's very few times when I'll be able to even get it as loud as it goes now. Seems to be at about 60-70 percent I start to hear a little distortion. So I'm not going over the 1pm mark on the dial. And it's very nice having balance again. One speaker is always a little louder, especially at low volumes. Oh, and of course the loudness too. That's going to come in very handy. 

It sounds great though. Better then I expected actually. And like I said. It never even got to full temp. It has 3 Telefunken 12AX7's, an original Scott rectifier I think it is tube, and 4 Amperex Bugle Boys for the output tubes. That may have something to do with it. ;)

BTW I just have to say. The gentleman that sold it to me couldn't have possibly been any nicer. Really great down to earth dude. He really knew his stuff too. I learned quite a lot yesterday, and had many questions I had answered. I'm eventually going to buy a Scott tube tuner off him too. He had the HH Scott 4310 "Holy Grail" tuner. And I didn't really know about that thing till yesterday. So I'm touching it like it's no big deal, and then I see him put a sock over his hand to change something. And I was like "hey man. How much is that worth?". OOPS! 

But he has a bunch of their other HH Scott tip top tuners he's not using. Very sweet setup to say the least. And he just got the Scott 222c too. That's why he was selling the 200.

Alright I need to do some work. Have a great night guys. And thanks again for all the advice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Cool:emotion-21:

Thanks man. 

I've been very busy. I haven't even had time to give a proper listen, or even move them around to see what works best. But they have real bass. If I had a high power SS on these. I'm betting they'll pound. Maybe I'll try it one day for fun. 

But they're basically good enough to hold me over for a while. I'm gonna have to work on them some though. They are a little fatiguing. I think the cone breakup is the problem. But I knew that going in with aluminum drivers. 

Have a great night all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amb3cog said:

But they're basically good enough to hold me over for a while. I'm gonna have to work on them some though. They are a little fatiguing. I think the cone breakup is the problem. But I knew that going in with aluminum drivers. 

RF 3's should not have aluminum drivers?  Try point the speaker to converge 12 in. to 30 in. behind you head at the MLP.

20 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

RF 3's should not have aluminum drivers?  Try point the speaker to converge 12 in. to 30 in. behind you head at the MLP.

I think you may be thinking of another speaker. RF-3's have 2 8in aluminum woofers (that go into breakup at 4500hz), and 1 titanium tweeter with a 6 in horn. 

And toeing them in will not, unfortunately, make them less fatiguing. They're not that bad really, because I have tubes to help warm them up, but at high volume after a while. You can feel it. Nothing a notch filter can't fix though. But I also want to raise the crossover to 2300hz like they did in the RF-3 II. And maybe get some better crossover parts too. Like Duelund resistors. And maybe paper in oil caps.

We'll see. I need to do more research, and check the prices. I don't even know how many parts are in this thing. And I'm not exen sure if they're worth it. There is some damage on them. I really will have to replace at least 1, maybe 2 woofers to make them proper. So I may just go as cheap as possible, and enjoy them like that for a while. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Post some pic's a some forum members may have some parts lying around.  Bob Crites may be able to help on the XO's.  Deang also does XO's.

Thank you. I will when I have time to. I've been very busy. I work 6 days a week. And I was thinking of calling Crites when the time, and money situation are right. Or maybe talking to the guys on the Parts Express forum. I may be talking about a bit of a redesign here, and that might entail a whole new crossover too. A lot has to do with money though, and I'm not sure how far I'd want to go. 

I'm eventually doing something a little more dramatic. Homemade speakers. Eventually I want to build speakers that are actively crossed with a solid state amp up to 250hz for bass and mid bass dynamics. Then a horn, or horns up from there on tubes all ran through a computer based dsp, and/or pro loudspeaker manager unit. 

But then I went and bought a pair of KG 3.5's, and found out how nice Klipsch speakers are. Then I heard my first pair of Klipschorns last week. So now I'm not so sure. I don't have room for Klipschorns though. Or the money either. And I already own a lot of what's needed to do an active setup. We'll see. For me the journey is half the fun. So I'm just having fun right now. 

And I'll eventually put up a wanted to buy post for the woofers of that's what I decide. 

You guys have all been so friendly, and helpful. I really appreciate it. 

Thank you

Andy B.