Stand alone backups. Who's doing it and how?

JL Sargent

With the ransomware problem and the fact I've been hit by lightning before,  I want to start doing a stand alone backup maybe once a week or monthly would probably be ok. My idea is to simply have a drive that I connect via USB3 and copy all documents to the drive and then disconnect/put away until the next backup. Is there a better way to do it?

• Moderators

Couldn't that be done with a normal external hard drive that plugs into the usb ? I use one like that for pictures and was told when not using to disconnect it, this will extend the life, could be what killed the last one I left connected ?

By far no expert but I know how much of a pain it is when things like you talked about happen. 

• Like 1

I use a mirror raid for all drives.  Use separate partitions for OS and your files.  Preferably a separate hard drive for C (use a SS) 

I use an internal segregated drive and Synctoy to create a daily backup as of that evening - this has saved my butt many times because of deleting files by mistake.

I also use a docking station and a few hard drives to create backups of everything and keep one offsite.  EasUS Todo freeware works great. 

You will also want to use EasUS to take an image of your C drive after a clean install, a week later when all bugs are worked out, and then quarterly in case you ever get a virus.  You can be back online in about two hours with a clean install if a disaster hits. 

10 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

EasUS Todo freeware works great.

I'll check into this, thank you. Does the mirror raid protect against ransomware?

18 minutes ago, dtel said:

Couldn't that be done with a normal external hard drive that plugs into the usb ?

That is what I'm looking at doing, but with a solid state drive that I only connect when doing the actual backup.

I'm similar to tiger where all of my computers (living room desktop and 3 laptops) backup to a NAS Synology DS216 running two 2TB drives in RAID 1.  I have each computer set to backup during the night so no one is affected during the day.  I have them set to backup nightly and retain backup copies for 2 months and delete old.  The NAS is also the unit that keeps track of all my FLAC CD's.

• Like 1

I might suggest backing up your data files the the cloud.  There are several free versions, MS, Iclound, Google, etc.

Then if lightning hits your house and burns it to the ground you still have all your data.

+++

I haven't done this for a while but I used to make 3 thumb drives with all my pictures on it and give one to each of my three kids.  It might make a nice Christmas gift. 

• Like 2

The one problem with the cloud is your internet speed. If its not 100 meg you will be taking a very long time to back things up and then there are the things that interfere with your traffic, priorities you know and it will get worse with the elimination of net neutrality.  I have a 10 meg connection and tried to use a cloud based CNC program which was a disaster.

JJK

• Like 1

I like keeping all my legal files on the cloud.  If my computer breaks or is stolen, I can get a new computer, and I am right back in business.  That's consideration "numero uno." 

On that same front, I use gmail, Google Contacts and Google Calendar.  They work well together, and again, it's all in the cloud.  They also work very well with Android phones.  I am up-to-date at all times via my cell phone.  Google also syncs all my Chrome bookmarks and settings.  Google has a "Download Your Data" feature which allows you to press a button to zip and download all things "Google."  I do this pretty much weekly.  

At the same time, I download all my MS Word legal files in a big zip file.  I keep 4 sets of backups in weekly rotation, for a month's worth in total.  At the same time, I put it all on a flash drive and keep the 4 sets there as well.  

Some people think if they have their data synced in the cloud with all their devices, it's the same as having a back-up.  It's not.  If you delete something (or everything) from one device, it's gone from all devices.  That's syncing.  It is not a substitute for back-ups.

• Like 2

Go sign up for a Veeam account and download their free "Veeam Agent for Windows". You can perform bare metal backups to usb devices, NAS storage, etc. You also create a bootable usb drive (or iso) so that you can perform a full recovery of a system , or simply file level backups. Cloudberry is another option for capturing bare metal backups, with support for all of the major cloud storage providers.

• Like 1

Thad,

I am replacing a mirror raid that is 1 tb with two 2 tb discs.  I am using EasUS TODO to create the first clone.  How do I do the second mirror disc?

Should I just create a second clone or do I need to install the first clone and let the Raid create the mirror drive? 

The Raid is a Dell T7400 workstation.  it is a built in SAS controller. 

You basically need to create the raid mirror and then clone your data to it. In RAID activity, creating a new virtual disk of any variety will wipe the drives which you've added, so cloning beforehand and then adding to RAID will be pointless. Likewise, having a single disk in a RAID configuration and then mirroring it after the fact will essential force you to create a new RAID type, thereby forcing a wipe of the drives in the RAID configuration.

So you basically need to copy your data off to a single external drive with sufficient space, install the new drives, build the new RAID, and then copy your data back from the swap drive.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I guess I could set mine up like the city I work for; we have 3 Seagate SAN's with 32TB each running RAID 6 (24TB after RAID). But that's a little overkill for home. :D

My current unRAID NAS is 32TB usable and about 70% consumed. 

At my previous job I managed about 900TB of storage from 3Par, NetApp, Nimble, and Synology. :D