Opinions on a few tools - plung saw

tigerwoodKhorns

This plunge saw is available with 5 blades for $32 but it will not cut 2 x 4s:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222623137828?siteId=0&pguid=094106a71600aa66a8f344e9fba8f6e1&AdChoicePreference=true&rmvSB=true

This one is a 4 1/2" and seems liek a better saw in that it has a dust collector and can cut 2 x 4s.  Anyone have it:

https://www.amazon.com/WORX-WORXSAW-4-1-Compact-Circular/dp/B00ZFR4GJE

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Those are pretty cheap saws. I guess it depends on what you're trying to cut. 

It looks like this is useful for cutting 2 x 4's and rippling plywood, trim, etc.  It has a vacuum hose attachment and looks nice when doing work inside of your house.  How many times have you ran up and down the stairs and outside to get a miter saw cut just right on a 2 x 4 or have to cut trim down just right?

It also plunge cuts which looks nice to cut out panels of drywall that are already installed.   

The Rockwell plunge saw is handy for cutting sheetrock for installing in-wall speakers. Set the proper depth and saw the hole with no fear of nicking any wires or pipes that might be hidden in the wall cavity. The blade is so thin that dust is fairly minimal. I have used one for trim and thin panels also, but I probably would not abuse the little saw by cutting 2X4s. The price in your linked ad is so good, I just ordered one for myself.

On 12/2/2017 at 8:12 PM, Khornukopia said:

The Rockwell plunge saw is handy for cutting sheetrock for installing in-wall speakers. Set the proper depth and saw the hole with no fear of nicking any wires or pipes that might be hidden in the wall cavity. The blade is so thin that dust is fairly minimal. I have used one for trim and thin panels also, but I probably would not abuse the little saw by cutting 2X4s. The price in your linked ad is so good, I just ordered one for myself.

What do you think of the Worx saw for a little more.  it should cut 2 x 4's.

The 4 1/2" Worx saw would be convenient if you are standing on a ladder, or cutting a 2 x 4 that is attached to something. But most hand held circular saws are not for precision work.

I like to use my 12" sliding compound miter saw and shop dust collector in the garage, or my table saw, whenever I can make a reason to cut a piece of wood, so that the cut is square, and if cutting duplicate pieces, that they are all the exact same length. Different tools for specific tasks, the ideal is to have all the right tools, and operate them safely.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:42 AM, Ceptorman said:

We might need some details about that pic :D looks good 

My center channel speaker has a large cabinet with an easy to swap 48" X 18" face panel sitting over a La Scala bass bin, so I can trade out different horns and drivers by removing four screws and two wires.

IMG_1134.JPG.f7df2e321790fb1ae9c4209683bc1254.JPG