How Quiet is it Outside?

Shiva

I have been toying with the iPhone App, NIOSH Decibel reader and measured outside yesterday evening while I took a few sunset pics that I also posted.  It seemed very quiet, reading of around 32 dB. I thought it would be quieter than that.   I have just read that the quietest sq. inch of space the US, has been recorded in the Hoh Forest in Washington state, at 20dB. I know many of you live in the country, How quiet is it where you live? If you have a decibel reader,  Post if you like.  Here is a map link of the quietest places in Our Country.  I would love to spend more time in the deep blue of silence.     

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/02/new-map-shows-americas-quietest-places

sn-scivismap-1.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Ugh, can you imagine living someplace where you're getting constantly bombarded with 67 dB of sound pressure?  Disgusting! 

Tell me about it.  I wish the map was of the entire US, I know it's pretty loud here.  When the power went out in the middle of the night I noticed how much quieter things were, and it was only out in the greater neighborhood, not the entire city.

I have profound hearing loss in both ears, so when i’m not wearing my hearing aids -- it’s a silent world.  Sometimes i take them out when i’m outside, just to freak myself out.  It’s weird watching cars go by and not hearing them.  Really weird to be in a large supermarket and not hear a sound. 

When i got ran over by a truck several years ago, it was before i had hearing aids. My doctor asked me, “Do you think if you had hearing aids you would have heard that truck coming?"

• Like 2

• Moderators

Were pretty quiet here, in the blue on the map, but even when really quiet I can hear my ears ringing so it's never quiet.

Also it depends if I did something to get my wife upset, I tend to do that without thinking sometimes.  

I can't give you a number, I left my DB meter at a friends house 3 hours away.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dtel said:

Also it depends if I did something to get my wife upset, I tend to do that without thinking sometimes.  

i was in a meeting once and got VERY bored. I didn’t want to hear the discussion anymore so i nonchalantly took out both hearing aids. suddenly, everyone at the table (including my boss) turned and looked at me. I then realized that i was holding both hearing aids in my hand and the feedback was very noticeable to everyone at the table.

Not much you can do in that case other than smile and shrug your shoulders. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

The Hoh Rain Forest is a quiet place when it is not raining, but the dense vegetation does absorb any stray sounds during the dry moments..

I have watched all the MIck Dodge episodes, roaming the Hoh Forest. Enjoyed him and loved the visuals of that place.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I have profound hearing loss in both ears, so when i’m not wearing my hearing aids -- it’s a silent world.  Sometimes i take them out when i’m outside, just to freak myself out.  It’s weird watching cars go by and not hearing them.  Really weird to be in a large supermarket and not hear a sound. 

When i got ran over by a truck several years ago, it was before i had hearing aids. My doctor asked me, “Do you think if you had hearing aids you would have heard that truck coming?"

Thanks for sharing your experiences of the silent world, when your hearing aids are out.  Though,  I am glad that they still bring the sounds of the world to you as well.

• Like 1

• 45 decibels
  • Normal conversation
    60 decibels
  • Noise from heavy city traffic
    85 decibels
  • Motorcyles
    95 decibels
  • klipschorns klipsch la scala klipsch belle
  • 104 decibels 1 watt 1 meter
  • An MP3 player at maximum volume
    105 decibels
  • Sirens
    120 decibels
  • Firecrackers and firearms
    150 decibels

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dirtmudd said:
  • 45 decibels
  • Normal conversation
    60 decibels
  • Noise from heavy city traffic
    85 decibels
  • Motorcyles
    95 decibels
  • klipschorns klipsch la scala klipsch belle
  • 104 decibels 1 watt 1 meter
  • An MP3 player at maximum volume
    105 decibels
  • Sirens
    120 decibels
  • Firecrackers and firearms
    150 decibels

You forgot motorcycles with straight pipes---7 billion DB. Your sound measurements also do not specify how low frequency wise they measure as typically they cut off at between 30 to 50 HZ. You could also add the "House vibration factor".

JJK

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

You forgot motorcycles with straight pipes---7 billion DB.

I did forget about that, the rednecks around here think if they knock off the muffler on a 4 wheeler or truck and add a chrome air filter they have a racing vehicle.  

• Like 3