Looking to buy a set of KLF 30s or Epic CF-4s

Kgordonl

Hello,

I am in the Savannah, GA area and looking for a good, functional set of KLF 30s or CF-4s. 

They do not have to be perfect, but I don't want to have to rebuild them either. If they have Crites upgrades or upgraded crossovers, that is a plus. But I can do those upgrades myself as well. 

I can pay up to $1,000 according to condition and upgrades. 

Also, I have a really nice set of KG 4.2's with the original boxes that I can work into the deal if someone is looking to downsize. 

I do have a truck and can pick up within a reasonable distance of the Savannah area. 

Thank you!

Edited by Kgordonl
Additional info

Hey I am in Jacksonville fl i have some klf 30 and cf 3s.I have been listening to the cf3s  v1 since i got them...you may want to consider them also. I dont know how to describe there sound...they are not as Brite as the 3way klf and the bass is good they dont hit quite as hard as the 12s they just seem balanced if you will.If your in the area and like to give them a listen let me know its about 2 1/2 hrs for me to get to Savannah

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mustangerfourlife said:

Hey I am in Jacksonville fl i have some klf 30 and cf 3s.I have been listening to the cf3s  v1 since i got them...you may want to consider them also. I dont know how to describe there sound...they are not as Brite as the 3way klf and the bass is good they dont hit quite as hard as the 12s they just seem balanced if you will.If your in the area and like to give them a listen let me know its about 2 1/2 hrs for me to get to Savannah

I appreciate the insight. Are your KLF 30's for sale by chance?

On 12/1/2017 at 8:03 AM, Kgordonl said:

Alexg5775  I am definitely interested at that price, but I just don't know when I would be able to make a 14 hour round trip. 

You could leave at 5am and get home at 10pm and make it a one day trip. Or I would just rent a cheap hotel in Miami...

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:03 AM, Kgordonl said:

Alexg5775  I am definitely interested at that price, but I just don't know when I would be able to make a 14 hour round trip. 

Would be nice to have a backup driver for that or, as mentioned a motel. And of course, keeping those speakers dry and safe.

I appreciate the heads up. I actually would be willing to buy the whole system to get the speakers. Of course my issue is shipping them here. I reached out to him to see if we can work something out. 

I don't suppose by chance anyone on here is planning to drive a truck from the St. Louis area to Georgia anytime soon?!? 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 1:00 PM, Kgordonl said:

I appreciate the heads up. I actually would be willing to buy the whole system to get the speakers. Of course my issue is shipping them here. I reached out to him to see if we can work something out. 

I don't suppose by chance anyone on here is planning to drive a truck from the St. Louis area to Georgia anytime soon?!? 

Of course, I never heard back from the seller. Still looking. 

On 12/1/2017 at 5:48 PM, Kgordonl said:

I appreciate the insight. Are your KLF 30's for sale by chance?

This is is the second time I heard CF-3 ousting KLF-30’s this week. A buddy has owned the KLF-30’s and picked up CF-3’s and immediately thought the CF sounded better. When I sought after either a KLF-30 or CF-4 it took a year before a set of CF-3’s surfaced locally. I mean 4 hours one way local. Point is - like mustang said, consider CF-3 

I don’t have any comparison as I’ve only owned CF-3, but it seems that bigger speakers don’t always mean bigger sound. 

I own CF-3's and also bought a pair of KLF-30's afterwards and never could get the 30's to sound right. New titanium tweeters,  cap change, cabinet braced and back panels fixed so it was a fair comparison. They just didn't work in my living room so the KLF-30's went on down the road. I had high hopes but didn't work. I also like the fact the CF-3's are front ported which most likely helped in my room as I can keep them closer to the wall and the KLF-30's had to be pulled out so the ports weren't blocked. Didn't help, though. The CF-3's will remain here and only will be replaced if I ever happened to come across version 1's in the 3's or 4's. Mine are version 3's that are reworked in the crossovers and the port length increased. They are that good. 

11 hours ago, avguytx said:

I own CF-3's and also bought a pair of KLF-30's afterwards and never could get the 30's to sound right. New titanium tweeters,  cap change, cabinet braced and back panels fixed so it was a fair comparison. They just didn't work in my living room so the KLF-30's went on down the road. I had high hopes but didn't work. I also like the fact the CF-3's are front ported which most likely helped in my room as I can keep them closer to the wall and the KLF-30's had to be pulled out so the ports weren't blocked. Didn't help, though. The CF-3's will remain here and only will be replaced if I ever happened to come across version 1's in the 3's or 4's. Mine are version 3's that are reworked in the crossovers and the port length increased. They are that good. 

I feel the same way about what you said i think the front ports worked better in my setup as well.I still have my 30s and just like all klipsch speakers doing there own thing better then others the 30s have that slam at high volumes.I have them pulled out from the wall about 12-18 inches with a carver 375 watt amp and thier height is great.bu both speakers at the same volume like 75db the cf 3 are a little easier to listen to.

• Like 1

Fellow legend owner also, 30s and a C7. I'm hoping for some time next year to refresh the x'overs, remove at least the front baffle and remove the melamine. Brace the cabinets and while i have the cabinets gutted I may as well move the ports from the rear to the front and then glue it all back better than new. Out of everything, I think I'm most excited to move the ports to the front.