Bi-Amp Klipsch R-28F with Yamaha RX-V681

makmak36

Hello,

I was looking for some guidance on Bi-Amping my new Klipsch R-28F. I am fairly familiar with electronics and such but just wanted to someone assistance in the hopes to avoid breaking something. So I want to bi-amp the speakers but I do not want to send the wrong frequencies to the tweeters or vice versa. Or will my amp be able to tell what frequencies to send not sure how to wire this.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v681_u/index.html

http://www.klipsch.com/products/reference-floorstanding-speakers

Thanks,

Edited by makmak36

When you bi-amp, you're sending the full signal to each set of binding posts (usually, unless you're using other signal processing equipment).  You let the speaker network/crossover take what it will from the signal.  

That said, I don't think you'll see much if any benefit using the v681 to bi-amp.  The best way to bi-amp is to use a individual amps or a multi channel amp that can truly deliver advertised watts per channel, which receivers simply do not.

You're not wasting the other channels on your receiver if you're only using 2.  Using 2 for that receiver is the best case scenario for what power it makes, let the speaker crossovers handle the rest.

It is not so much a thing about watts, since the tweeter use so little power compared to the woofer.  First, the metal strap connecting the Hi and Lo binding post has to be removed for passive bi-amping.  To take full advantage of bi-amp and electronic XO should be used.  The speaker passive XO would be removed.  With passive bi-amping, the passive XO will waste unused power as heat.  Bottom line, most of us that have tried passive bi-amping find very little to no benefit.  Just get some 12 or 14 g wire and call it a day.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There isn't going to be a noticeable difference, but I still do it anyways.  I have RF82's and an RXV-781, and it's easy to bi-amp.  Just remove the straps on the binding posts and plug into the front/surround back channels on the amp, then enable bi-amp in the setup menu.  As mentioned before before both channels get full signals so it doesn't matter which is amp goes where.

48 minutes ago, Canadian_Dude said:

There isn't going to be a noticeable difference, but I still do it anyways.  I have RF82's and an RXV-781, and it's easy to bi-amp.  Just remove the straps on the binding posts and plug into the front/surround back channels on the amp, then enable bi-amp in the setup menu.  As mentioned before before both channels get full signals so it doesn't matter which is amp goes where.

Lower end Yamaha's are know for big power output drops as you use more speaker outputs.

So bi-amping with them reduces overall power from the AVR to the speakers.

• Like 1