Trouble Update The Three and getting Source LED

Soxy

Hey Guys, 

I just bought one The Three and have some trouble to set it up. 

First: In The Klipsch App I got a message to Update The Three via USB. I Format a Flash Drive and put the .hex Data on it. I remove the Power Cable from the box and the plug. I put the Flash Drive in and put the Power cable back into the box and the Plug. So I was wondering if I have to put the Power Switch to the bottom or to the top, because in the instrucation they say to off and they say off is to the bottom but the instruction for flashing says to the top. I try both positions but its failed. 

-> how can I Update the box sucessfully?

second: I never get any LED from the Sources to pop up (like here around 2:21

)So I cant choose the Input, dident I ? 

I will appreciate any help because I like the sound but the Update and the conection Problems are anyoing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just talked to the engineer on the project...

Keep the power switch in the off position, that will ensure that any flashing of the WiFi LED (the one on the top of the unit) will be unmistakable as a successful update.

He also recommended trying another flash drive and/or reformatting the flash drive (FAT32) and reloading the file onto the flash drive.  Every issue he has seen so far was related to the flash drive and not the unit itself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i have the same problem of EMID, i bought and i receivedThe Three the 24th of August, and same after upload the "Three.hex" firmware, i have No Leds run in face is ON, always OFF and the switch ON/OFF doesn't work in face always OFF, no impact, i must unplug the power to turn on or off. i must control with the remot control with hazard situation. Do you have a solution and a good solution to come back to the correct behavior?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

in my side, only blutooth and usb remot control run with remote control.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I bought The Three today and I am having the same problems with changing the sources/LED light. It seems like the control panel isn't working (even the on/off button) - all I can do is use the remote control. Bluetooth and wifi work fine.

Soxy and EMID (or others), did you find what was the problem and how to fix it? I looks like it should be really simple, but it just does not work.

Thank you!

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2019 at 2:52 AM, Isa said:

Hi all,

I bought The Three today and I am having the same problems with changing the sources/LED light. It seems like the control panel isn't working (even the on/off button) - all I can do is use the remote control. Bluetooth and wifi work fine.

Soxy and EMID (or others), did you find what was the problem and how to fix it? I looks like it should be really simple, but it just does not work.

Thank you!

On 8/24/2018 at 10:09 PM, MARIN said:

i have the same problem of EMID, i bought and i receivedThe Three the 24th of August, and same after upload the "Three.hex" firmware, i have No Leds run in face is ON, always OFF and the switch ON/OFF doesn't work in face always OFF, no impact, i must unplug the power to turn on or off. i must control with the remot control with hazard situation. Do you have a solution and a good solution to come back to the correct behavior?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

in my side, only blutooth and usb remot control run with remote control.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:09 AM, EMID said:

Same problem with the LEDs and I can't change the source with the source control dial, I have to use the remote control. Is it a problem of firmware or is it the device? 

Did you guys return yours or did you find any solution? 

On 4/4/2019 at 1:29 AM, fmalloy said:

This is a Play-Fi product, right? Did you try:

https://play-fi.com/faq/entry/how-to-do-a-manual-speaker-update

I believe that software link is just the Play-Fi software and not the Klipsch firmware.

When I updated my firmware on The Three, I tried about 3 different USB drive devices and finally came to the conclusion that it must've updated the first time, but I never saw the lights flash the way the instructions said they would, so I didn't think it worked. If you have WiFi configured, I'd use the Klipsch app or the Play-Fi app to confirm whether the firmware updated or not. Note that there is the Klipsch firmware and separately the Play-Fi software. The firmware version shows up as "MCU" in the Play-Fi app, and the Play-Fi version is shows as "CAP". On The Three, the Klipsch firmware is updated via the USB port, but you should be able to update the Play-Fi software by using the Play-Fi app.

• 8 months later...

I’m having this same issue. The Stream app updated when first connecting, I’ve updated the firmware via USB. The firmware update follows the behaviour in the pdf, NOT the video. The wifi led in the back flashes, not the one on top.

the firmware says 4.020 in the stream app.

but still, the controls on top do nothing.

did any of you with this problem actually get the top controls to work?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I recently bought a brand new, open-box Klipsch The Three (original) off a store on Ebay and also my control panel (dials, buttons, leds) were not working, but the remote did work. I have a fix for this issue! (Warning: this is pretty easy but it does involves disassembling the speaker, so proceed with caution)

I submitted a ticket to Klipsch, but I did not get a reply. I was thinking of returning the speaker and purchasing another one from a different store. I contacted that store over the phone  asked about making sure that I would get a working one without this issue or see whether I could exchange if it also had this issue. I described that I had purchased one, but it was not fully working for me due to the above described issue.

He said that it's rare, but he has also seen this before, and in that case he was able to just unscrew the back panel and disconnect and reconnect the cable from the control panel to the main board to get the controls working again; sometimes it becomes loose during shipping and handling.

First I unplugged the speaker from power, then I unscrewed the 10 screws around the outer perimeter on the back panel, then I used a flathead screwdriver to gently pry the panel from the speaker and then slowly and carefully and slowly pulled it away from the speaker, paying attention to the wires connected on the inside to the main board/back panel. Do not pull the board away more than ~2 inches to avoid breaking any of the wires on the main board and best to have something sturdy on your desk to lean the main board against. Once I did this, I saw that there was a cable coming from the area control panel (it's wider than most of the other cables) that was not connected to anything, it must have shaken completely loose in shipping. There was a connector with I think around 12 pins that was the same size as the cable on the main board near the side where the control panel is, so I used a pair of pliers to get hold of the cable and then by hand I reattached the cable to that header on the board. I sealed the back panel back together to the speaker, reattached the screws. I connected the speaker to power, turned on the power switch on top and I was able to see the input selector LED light up and the controls work fine now.

(I want to give credit to Ron Cocco at The Sound Seller in Marinette WI, whom I ended up not needing to make a purchase from, but was very professional and friendly over the phone and provided the information so that I could fix this issue)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I can confirm that the solution posted above by @Ri_ works (many thanks!). If you're having issues with the top panel/LED's not working, it's a loose connection inside, not a firmware issue. It took me all of 5 minutes to unscrew the unit, see the cable that was loose (it was attached, but clearly askew) and push it tightly into the slot. It's unfortunate that we have to open up the unit to do this (Klipsch clearly has some QC issues), but it was MUCH easier than shipping back to the seller and doing the whole exchange dance.

• Like 1