Roon

BlessedPrince

Yes, been using it for a couple months now.  Very impressive product IMHO.  I'm still figuring stuff out too - it's a bit of a mind-set change from vanilla iTunes or Audirvana.

I’m on a 60 day trial. I messed with it all night long and found it kinda tedious. I’m very techie too. It’s a challenge to be honest. I use Tidal and integrated them and i found it very intuitive I also find it more complex at the same time. I guess I just need more time and hands on. I also notice the sampling conversion and I’m not too sure how it works. It’s either Enhanced or Lossless. I’m using the dragonfly black as dac. So we’ll see how it does.

Give it a little time.  I'm still messing with metadata, genres, tags etc.  Roon syncs with in my iTunes content plus another "hi-res" folder containing music downloaded or created outside of iTunes.  Both of these sources are on a NAS device.  I also had Roon import my iTunes playlists.  Roon's powerful meta-data features - Focus, genres, radio, play-similar, favorites, tags etc - have really opened up musical possibilities for me.  You can spend a lot of time reading up on obscure facts on your favorite artists.

I am about half way through a free trial of Tidal.  The integration with Roon is awesome but I'm on the fence about keeping due to its content.

As far as sound output goes, I've been impressed with its sound quality and features.  For SRC, I just use 'minimum phase and smooth'  and compares favorably to what I was using in Audirvana - to my ears at least.  I also used REW to create convolution filters for my various Roon zones that basically do room correction to my liking.  The sound is awesome.

I have an older Dragonfly 1.1 or 1.2 DAC that I connected to my MacBook.  Roon found it right away and it seemed to work fine but I didn't play with it too much.

• 1 year later...