Why My RF-63's Are Going Nowhere

willland

My bride and son are out of the house all day today so I decided to play around a bit.  It has been a long while since I listened to my RF-63's in true stereo and then that has been mainly with my NAD T175HD pre/pro and Acurus A200 amp with subwoofers engaged, which together does a pretty jam up job with stereo music even though that is not it's main design purpose.  The NAD/Acurus combo is pretty top shelf when it comes to a multichannel rig trying to be a 2 channel rig but I know there are limitations preventing the RF-63's from really showing their musical prowess.

So, I decided to experiment a bit and moved my behemoth 48.5lbs Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp into the family room and see(hear) what happens.  Well, let's just say the sound is magical.  The tone is so natural(Yamaha speak for neutral) and just flows completely unfiltered from the RF-63's.  Keep in mind this room is not the most acoustically "correct" room in my house with 12ft ceilings, ceramic tile throughout, and many more hard surfaces to speak of.  The bass never showed any boominess but just kicked me in the chest with a very rhythmic thump.  The vocals, wow, both male and female are astonishing and so life like.  Imaging and soundstage was off the charts with the ability to pinpoint where all players were positioned, especially with the Fleetwood Mac demos. 

Never a time in these demos did I ever feel that the Yamaha's "90" watts per channel was a "limitation" nor did I think the 63's needed the subwoofers help.  No attempt here with real fancy audio lingo but these demos left me wanting to add an integrated amp to the 63's and most likely another Yamaha A-S1000 or one of it's bigger brothers like the A-S2000 or A-S1100.

Equipment used:

Yamaha A-S1000 integrated stereo amp with "90" watts/channel

Klipsch RF-63 floorstanding speakers

Chromecast Audio(Spotify app) controlled by HTC One M8 phone

Music demoed:

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours

1) The Chain

2) Gold Dust Woman

3) Dreams

4) Go Your Own Way

5) Never Going Back Again

The Civil Wars, The Civil Wars

1) Dust to Dust

2) Tell Mama

3) Disarm

The Civil Wars, Barton Hollow

1) 20 Years

2) I've Got This Friend

Paul Simon, Still Crazy After All These Years

1) 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover(best snare/high hat/kick/tom drum intro)

Bill

• Like 3

Nice! For the longest time I kind of turned me nose up at the newer "2-way" reference line up until I actually listened to some of the upper end models and they can be quite impressive. My RF-5's (although modified) continue to impress me and I would not be surprised at all if the 63's were right up there if not even better. Happy listening! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TasDom said:

Nothing like having the house to yourself for a day. Listen to what you want and as loud (or low) as you want.

It is nice having the time alone.  Funny thing is, this combination is so satisfying that you don't have to play anywhere near loud to get the detail and thump that I like.

6 hours ago, TasDom said:

Have a great Saturday and enjoy!

Thank you my friend and you too.

Bill

• Like 1

Been lusting after those Yamaha 1000 series components for a while now. Beautiful retro design. How do you like them compared to your other components? There's one sitting in my local HiFi Mall, yes, we have a HiFi Mall here in ShenZhen, and it looks at and speaks to me every time I walk by it. 

• Like 1

Considering I really only have two true stereo(2-channel) rigs I will elaborate on that.  My Cambridge Audio integrated used to power my RB-75's before the A-S1000 and it did a fine job.  Very neutral with decent punch.  I moved the CA gear into my master bedroom when I bought the Yamaha.  The Yamaha offers a similar sound signature but with more low end punch and a bit more "thickness".  Both sound pretty great in their perspective systems.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scrappydue said:

yep 63's to this day remain my favorite reference speaker.

Scrappy,

I never really had a lot of respect for your opinions until now.:o;):D

Seriously my friend, I am with you completely on this.:emotion-21:

Bill

• Haha 1

On 2017-12-05 at 2:26 AM, Marvel said:

Never visited any place in ShenZhen, only passed through on the way to Nanchang...

ShenZhen is paradise for anyone into electronics and HiFi. This is basically where 90% of your electronics and HiFi come from. Some brands like ShanLing are actually based here. I took some pics of the HiFi mall here but they're all over 3Mb and won't upload here. Hopefully I can figure out a way to compress them. They have the old giant Western Electrics there and so much more. And tubes galore. And of course this is where all the fake Kimber and Audioquest cables come from. Got pics of that too.

I believe that is also where the China made Klipsch are manufactured. For sure you can get any quality you want if you want to pay for it. Funny you mentioning Western Electric, as the guy who bought the rights to all the W.E. tube gear and name, etc. has new offices a couple of miles from where I live here in North Georgia.

Bruce

12 minutes ago, BernardLVH said:

ShenZhen is paradise for anyone into electronics and HiFi. This is basically where 90% of your electronics and HiFi come from. Some brands like ShanLing are actually based here. I took some pics of the HiFi mall here but they're all over 3Mb and won't upload here. Hopefully I can figure out a way to compress them. 

You might try a free software called Shrink Pic, runs in the background - it'll shrink the picture on the fly when you upload it, based on your settings.

12 minutes ago, BernardLVH said:

I took some pics of the HiFi mall here but they're all over 3Mb and won't upload here. Hopefully I can figure out a way to compress them.

I know you can't get everything we can due to the Great Firewall of China, but see if this photo resizer helps.  It's small, quick and easy.

Fastone Photo resizer:

http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-Photo-Resizer/3000-2192_4-10319476.html

1 minute ago, rah said:

You might try a free software called Shrink Pic, runs in the background - it'll shrink the picture on the fly when you upload it, based on your settings.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I know you can't get everything we can due to the Great Firewall of China, but see if this photo resizer helps.  It's small, quick and easy.

Fastone Photo resizer:

http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-Photo-Resizer/3000-2192_4-10319476.html

Thanks guys, Gonna download it and will post some pics when I'm off on Monday.

• Like 1

I owned that Yamaha and really liked it so I bought the A-S1100 to drive my Forte III's. A great pairing but a financial issue forced a sale of the Yammy. My "back up" Marantz PM 8005 took it's place and is doing a yeoman's job. When the smoke clears after the holiday's another yamaha is on the horizon...

• Like 1

On 2017-12-05 at 2:26 AM, Marvel said:

Never visited any place in ShenZhen, only passed through on the way to Nanchang...

Haven’t been to NanChang either. But if you get a chance to visit HuaQiangBei in ShenZhen you’ll find electronics heaven. Absolutely anything you can think of that’s electronic comes from here. Highend HiFi, low end copies, and electronic parts, etc. Love roaming around there and seeing what’s new or old.  Lots of old tubes and drivers for sale too.