Wall Of Sound

svberger

Had some time on my hands today, so put my Cornwall's on some boxes(well, old speakers), and then put a pair of AR 2ax's on top of them. Driving them all with a Fisher 500C. Blaring a little bit of St. Stephen, the set up sounds surprisingly coherent. And quite good. 

1202170941.jpg

• Like 1

A few years back I did the same thing with Heresys flipped and on top of Quartets.  Indeed a wall of sound in my 13 x 13 x 10 guest bedroom.  I think it was my Luxman R-117 that was driving them and it has an easy time with the challenge.

Yours looks good also.

Bill

WAF be damned!

The right combo will put the icing on the cake.

I am playing with the drivers from the Cornscalas in the picture below and so I placed my Cornwall 2’s on top for the meantime. I have also swapped my Tangent 5000s in as well.

The stack has lost some of its coherence. 

I think the midrange needs to be more subltle in the “atmos” pair.

But for those of us that have “A” pair of speakers (just one... lol) lying around not being used it is a fun experiment.

Just a caveat, place a piece of cardboard or placemat between the two speakers.

I used non-adhesive shelf liner once and the pattern transferred to the wood... 

C2381DDE-69FB-49CE-BAF2-BE1939454666.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice sv!

Is that a Nakamichi ZX-9 I spy in the bottom of your rack?

I had one when they first came out, that was a great machine which compared very well against my buddy's Revox B77.

When I read the title of this tread it reminded me of Groomlakearea51 posts on his "Wall of Voodoo".

Unfortunately I do not see any of Mashall's pics in the thread. :angry2:

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

WAF be damned!

You said that right!  :lol:

1 hour ago, geoff. said:

I am playing with the drivers from the Cornscalas in the picture below and so I placed my Cornwall 2’s on top for the meantime. I have also swapped my Tangent 5000s in as well.

I had no idea the Cornwall 2's were as big as the La Scalas.  I don't see how you shoehorned all those speakers in that little space.

I think that's as close to a "permanent installation" as I think we're going to see in a home setup.  I wouldn't want to be throwing those gigantic speakers around, especially stacking them!

1 hour ago, HPower said:

Is that a Nakamichi ZX-9 I spy in the bottom of your rack?

ZX-7

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

WAF be damned!

She doesn't care. Yes, I'm lucky. It'll be 21 years in May. 

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I had no idea the Cornwall 2's were as big as the La Scalas.  I don't see how you shoehorned all those speakers in that little space.

They're not(at least I don't think they are). The Cornies are on an extra set of speakers(Wharfedale W60's) that I had lying around. Big heavy wood boxes, and after reading about the benefits of getting the Cornwall mid horn up to ear level, I did. But I like my 2ax's a lot also, and they are completely unfussy when it comes to placement, so put them on top of the Cornwalls. The 500C easily can drive 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers, so last night wired it all up and here we are. 

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

Just a caveat, place a piece of cardboard or placemat between the two speakers.

For cosmetic protection, or sonic benefit?