Old Heresy Speakers

Disco Dave

I have decided to bring my old Klipsch Heresy speakers out of "storage".  Purchased in 1973 while in college and usually a bit underpowered, I am curious should the Woofers still be good?

Also, where / how to buy 2 new Klipsch logo badges for the fronts, as they had both disappeared? some while ago.

Play the speakers and see how they sound. Place your ear close to the mid-range driver and the tweeter and verify there's noise coming out of them.

If you're persnickety, you could remove the crossovers and measure the value of each component. Unless they're wildly out of spec, I'd leave them alone.

14 hours ago, Disco Dave said:

I have decided to bring my old Klipsch Heresy speakers out of "storage".  Purchased in 1973 while in college and usually a bit underpowered, I am curious should the Woofers still be good?

Also, where / how to buy 2 new Klipsch logo badges for the fronts, as they had both disappeared? some while ago.

It’s difficult to “underpower” Heresys.  Poorly powered perhaps, but not likely underpowered.  I dragged a pair of Heresys to my 50th HS reunion and powered them nicely with TDA7297 chip amp putting out a whopping 3 Watts/channel.  With efficient Klipsch, it’s more about quality than quantity when it comes to amps. 

The woofers will be in exactly the condition they were in when you stored them.  The treated paper or fabric surround does not fail like cheap foam woofers do. 

The crossover capacitors are likely in need of replacement to get the original sound.  Listen first.  Muffled or distant sound is the typical symptom. 

17 hours ago, djk said:

I would rotate the woofers and replace the caps.

Rotating the woofers?  Depends on how they were stored...Early Heresy speakers had woofers mounted to backside of motorboard, later Heresys speakers have the woofer mounted to the front of the motorboard.  If mounted to the inside of the motorboard, you store them in their boxes FACE DOWN, if woofer is mounted to the front of motorboard, you store them face up in their boxes.  Either way, if they have been stored face down OR face up, then no rotating of woofers is necessary...

" Either way, if they have been stored face down OR face up, then no rotating of woofers is necessary... "

Your right, the woofer will need to be replaced.

Woofers stored face up or face down for years will have the spiders taking a permanent set.