KP 250 II

cantrelhm

If I remember right the 250,s have a k76 tweeter, the tweeters on the II,s have a hybrid. I believe  II,s have the same magnet as k76 but different horn lens, not sure if the diaphragm is the same. Get a set of Bob's tweeters, a k 76 or a II hybrid tweeter which every you like better. Not sure if the crossovers are different.

8 hours ago, Ljk said:

If I remember right the 250,s have a k79 tweeter, the tweeters on the II,s have a hybrid. I believe  II,s have the same magnet as k79 but different horn lens, not sure if the diaphragm is the same. Get a set of Bob's tweeters, a k 79 or a II hybrid tweeter which every you like better. Not sure if the crossovers are different.

Normally the sharpness is in the mid driver.  At least to me it is.

heresy 2502 c2's are the newest of this pro design. 

IMO a talk with crites to calm the stock drivers would be a must. The 2502 C2's will pierce your ears. In a heresy size cab they have the most impressive mid horn and driver by size I have seen. Just lovely. What was built in your kp250's and 250ii's are never to be changed and normally the networks neither but in this case you would be good to try. Also and eq is in every room where sound counts even if its not in use would likely help.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:03 AM, CECAA850 said:

Normally the sharpness is in the mid driver.  At least to me it is.

True but the 250 has a k76 tweeter and the II has a k 792 tweete different lens. I have of one each as sides right now and could tell the difference when I first got them. The II sounded bright, a light shrill. I bought a k 76 to replace the k 792 so speakers would match but have not gotten around to switching them. 

Mid could the problem but if you have one  k 792  and k 76 tweeter you never get a good tonal match imo. 

Just read post again was thinking he had one of each instead of a pair of each,  I would still look at the tweeters first. Are these going in a HT set up?

On 12/5/2017 at 9:35 PM, Ljk said:

True but the 250 has a k79 tweeters and the II has a k 792 tweeters different lens. I have of one each as sides right now and could tell the difference when I first got them. The II sounded bright, a light shrill. I bought a k 79 to replace the k 792 so speakers would match but have not gotten around to switching them. 

Mid could the problem but if you have one  k 792  and k 79 tweeter you will not get a good tonal match imo. 

Did some research and found  the II,s, both mid and tweet have tractix horn lens. Looks like the 250,s have expotenial horn? Not sure if the woofers and crossovers are the same.

You could try hooking one of each speaker hooked in stereo and stuff cotton balls or small hand towel in tweeter and see if that helps. Then do same thing with mid and see if 250 II match, sound better.

Might see if someone on board wants to trade 250 II for pair of 250,s. Could be easier in the long run.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, Ljk said:

Did some research and found  the II,s, both mid and tweet have tractix horn lens. Looks like the 250,s have expotenial horn? Not sure if the woofers and crossovers are the same.

You could try hooking one of each speaker hooked in stereo and stuff cotton balls or small hand towel in tweeter and see if that helps. Then do same thing with mid and see if 250 II match, sound better.

Might see if someone on board wants to trade 250 II for pair of 250,s. Could be easier in the long run.

Always figured they could be swapped out if they were equal ohms 

No not true especially with the different mid and tweeters you are dealing with, crossovers are more then likely different from each other.  Crossover points, characterics of individual speakers and horn lens could, are different from each other.

I have one 250 and one 250II I need to match. In the next few days  I am going take out the 250II xover to see what difference are between the 2 speakers. This may help you, may not.

Really looks like these 2 speakers are guide different from each other. The horns lens on both the mids and tweeters are different, got to think the xovers are different. Not sure if the woofers are different or not. Might be easier to just sell the II and buy another pair of 250,s unless you could get parts cheap some where.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:49 PM, Ljk said:

No not true especially with the different mid and tweeters you are dealing, crossovers are more then likely different from each other.  Crossover points, characterics of individual speakers and horn lens could, are different from each other.

I have one 250 and one 250II I need to match. In the next few days  I am going take out the 250II xover to see what difference are between the 2 speakers. This may help you, may not.

Really looks like these 2 speakers are guide different from each other. The horns lens on both the mids and tweeters are different, got to think the xovers are different. Not sure if the woofers are different or not. Might be easier to just sell the II and buy another pair of 250,s unless you could get parts cheap some where.

patience is such a strong suit when correctly rebuilding anything. klipsch rebuilds are so great once finished. 

10 hours ago, ELSI said:

patience is such a strong suit when correctly rebuilding anything. klipsch rebuilds are so great once finished. 

True, some times getting the parts and rebuilding is the fun part. However it can be time consuming and sometimes not cost effective, just offering an alternative.  

Still wondering intended propose for speakers, HT?

On 12/3/2017 at 12:04 PM, jjptkd said:

Replace the mid drivers with k-55v's, I've done that and they sound great that way.

I found a pair of k53 locally for a good price. speakers now crystal clear

Thanks.

PS I now have a pair of k128013s if anyone needs them. new diaphragms in both.

8 hours ago, cantrelhm said:

I found a pair of k53 locally for a good price. speakers now crystal clear

Thanks.

PS I now have a pair of k128013s if anyone needs them. new diaphragms in both.

Do they sound the same as 250,s tone wise? Just to make sure you only changed out mid with no xover change? If that's the case might do that to my 250II. Thanks!

That's all I did. The 128013 were very sharp for live work. They are not as warm as my 250s but now there clean and clear and balanced enough to perform with. Hope that helps. I think that a crossover change would be the trick to get the 250s sound but there pricey for sure.

Just switching the mid may work since they will only be used as sides and not mains. Have not been able to find a schematic for the 250II, been want to take the II apart and look at the xover just can not seem to find the time. Thanks for the info and glad you got the sound you wanted!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 5:40 PM, cantrelhm said:

That's all I did. The 128013 were very sharp for live work. They are not as warm as my 250s but now there clean and clear and balanced enough to perform with. Hope that helps. I think that a crossover change would be the trick to get the 250s sound but there pricey for sure.

Not sure if you got my message so I wanted to thank you for sending 250II xover diagram! Don't know where you found it but it will save from opening up one of my speakers!