budget preamp with phono stage

red1302

Wife is wanting to buy me a new piece of gear for the system for Christmas . I am currently using this as a "preamp".

https://www.phonopreamps.com/tc754pp.html

It is inexpensive and has served me while getting back into stereo gear. That being said, is there a new  preamp with phono stage and at least two auxiliaries  that also has balance and tone controls under $300.00 that would be recommended?

If not , is there "used" preamps that can be recommended ?

Thing about the Emotiva PT-100 that I noticed is...where are the guts? 

Very sparse innards and tiny power supply based on the interior pic on the website.  

The sound quality is what matters though, and seems like the owners above are happy with its performance for the money.

It would be cool if Emotiva (and others) made a slightly more upscale 2-ch preamp with analog and digital inputs and digital bass management with crossover/level/delay settings similar to those in AVRs and pre-pros.

On 12/7/2017 at 5:51 PM, mr clean said:

This is a nicer preamp they make.

https://emotiva.com/product/xsp-1/

Yep, that is their TOTL conventional, all-analog 2-ch pre.

I'm hoping that, someday, Emotiva and others will offer a 2-ch pre with several digital inputs, analog inputs, and DSP for bass management/channel level/channel distance, and perhaps even AV sync (audio delay).  Of course, one could use a multi-channel pre/pro or AVR for this, but it would be cool to see 2-ch model minus all the codecs, bells, and whistles that are not needed for 2-ch. 

The Parasound P5 is the closest I know of...but the bass management is analog, no L/R ch level, no ch delay, and no AV sync (which would be helpful when integrating with a 2-ch A/V system).  It could also use some more digital inputs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 4:17 PM, red1302 said:

Santa gifted me the Emotiva PT-100.  I will give an opotion after it arrives sometime after Jan. 11. Apparently the elves did not make enough to take care of all the wishes for this item as a gift.

Don't forget to tell us!

There are two Emotiva XSP-1 ‘s for sale in the forum over there. $450 used and in great shape.

There is also a like new six month old PT-100 for sale at $210. The on board DAC in this preamp is fantastic. The PT-100 includes the Bluethooth dongle for wifi which is a $60 option. The seller geebo is a great guy too.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/51844/fs-pt-100-bonus-item

Good gear at good prices. Need help with either, let me know!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teaman said:

There are two Emotiva XSP-1 ‘s for sale in the forum over there. $450 used and in great shape.

There is also a like new six month old PT-100 for sale at $210. The on board DAC in this preamp is fantastic. The PT-100 includes the Bluethooth dongle for wifi which is a $60 option. The seller geebo is a great guy too.

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/51844/fs-pt-100-bonus-item

Good gear at good prices. Need help with either, let me know!

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im listening to my pt-100 right now with the audio technica m40s and the loki for eq. Using the emotiva etc-3 cd/transport and Ozzy is sounding so fine on the randy rhoads tribute cd. My ears are not that great and maybe thats a plus. Still loving the schiit loki also.  The pt-100 is very usefull. Ive been using bluetooth for spotify but getting a optical cable for the pc. Use coax or cd input for cd player. I listen to fm a lot also and I think is a real plus. Remote was tough to learn but now its very easy to get around on and I love it. Peace!

• Like 1

An email from Emotiva to my wife said they would let her know when my unit is shipped. I'll let everyone know when the unit arrives. 

From everyone's statements,I believe I am going to be very pleased with my very late Christmas gift.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, red1302 said:

An email from Emotiva to my wife said they would let her know when my unit is shipped. I'll let everyone know when the unit arrives. 

From everyone's statements,I believe I am going to be very pleased with my very late Christmas gift.

I just picked up a usb cable for the pc to the pt-100. I was just using the bluetooth and it sounded very good for background music but the usb is much better when listening closely.  I will be waiting to hear what you think red. It really is a great little piece!  

• 4 weeks later...