Recommendation for bookshelf speaker?

ZephyrRegent

I'm considering upgrading my stereo system.   Currently I have a pair of EPI 100s bought in the 1980s but I used to sell them when I sold audio equipment in the 1970s so they could be that old.   The receiver is a Denon DRA 635R.   It's for a studio apartment with one large room, about twice the size of an average room.    I've been looking at the Klipsch RP-160M model, possibly the RP-150M.  Would there be a dramatic sound improvement?    I haven't kept up with audio equipment since the 1970s and there's nowhere nearby to give them a trial listening so I would appreciate it if anyone who has heard both these speakers can give a recommendation.   I use the speakers for listening to music and watching movies online or listening to CDs.      

I always subscribed to that theory about speakers.  Recently, though, I've heard great sound coming from both small guitar amplifiers and stereo speakers.  Some guitarists even prefer 10" over 12" speakers as less boomy.   When it comes to hi-fi speakers, I guess I will be happy with the Klipsch after listening to the EPI 100s since the early 80's, but I'm wondering how much of a noticeable difference it will be.  

I was not to happy with any of those bookshelves regardless of the producer in this price range, at least what I have heard. The best so far to my ears were Monitor Audio Silver 2 (or silver 100 as they changed the names in their new lineup from 2017). In that camp can also be Tannoy XT6.

If thinking between RP-150 and 160, I would go for the 160.

You will notice a difference in the high end due to the horn loaded tweeter. Both the EPI and the Klipsch play equally low, so you won't gain anything there., but the EPI is an acoustic suspension speaker; its bass will have a tighter, faster response to bass frequencies. I'd recommend you add a subwoofer to your EPI's instead. You won't need to play it loud, but that extra 1/2 octave at any level will make an eye-opening difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Klipsch R-26F Floorstanding speakers are priced about the same as the RP-160.   Which would be a better choice for clarity rather than volume?   I listen to jazz and don't need a subwoofer for watching movies as  I don't watch modern sound effect movies.   I do listen to music at higher volumes sometimes so I can play along with it but  have enough bass with the EPI 100s.   I would like to be able to hear the cymbals and highs more.      

8 hours ago, ZephyrRegent said:

I see the Klipsch R-26F Floorstanding speakers are priced about the same as the RP-160.   Which would be a better choice for clarity rather than volume?   I listen to jazz and don't need a subwoofer for watching movies as  I don't watch modern sound effect movies.   I do listen to music at higher volumes sometimes so I can play along with it but  have enough bass with the EPI 100s.   I would like to be able to hear the cymbals and highs more.      

RP series over the R series.  RP-160M are very good speakers.