Klipsch Forte 1s & Khorn Wood Maintenance & Refinishing

khorn79er

Hi guys,

My brother and I are proud owners of a '79 Klipschorn and two Forte 1s in generally excellent condition. 

Since owning these, we haven't done any wood work and have little experience in doing so. We wanted to ask you two things:

1) What type of wood are these? I've attached pictures of the Khorn and each Forte 1. My guess is Walnut throughout.

2) What is the best way to treat / maintain the wood on these? Both pairs of Fortes have slight water ring damage on the top side  - we would like to fix that.

We've looked at a few threads such as this one below. Seems like the best process is to sand any water damaged parts and apply Watco Rejuvenating oil. Did we get that right?

Thanks a lot! Much appreciation from two hardcore Klipsch fans :D

Alex

IMG_7022.jpg

IMG_7032.jpg

IMG_7033.jpg

Those certainly look to be Walnut Oil finish.  Honestly, the dark water rings are going to be difficult to totally eliminate.  Be very careful if you are going to sand, the veneer is thin, and you can easily sand through it.  You can use Watco Light Walnut Oil after sanding, then Watco Rejuvenating Oil for maintenance once every couple of months (depending on your environment).  The black parts of the Khorns shouldn't need anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willland said:

Both pairs look to be walnut oil.  If so, a light coat of Watco, Formby's Lemon Oil, Old English, etc. should bring back some of the luster.  As far as water rings, not too sure what the solution is.

Bill

Thanks a lot Will. Any recommendations on Watco vs Formby's Lemon Oil vs. Old English or they all satisfy the same purpose? I.e., just pick one and use it?

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Those certainly look to be Walnut Oil finish.  Honestly, the dark water rings are going to be difficult to totally eliminate.  Be very careful if you are going to sand, the veneer is thin, and you can easily sand through it.  You can use Watco Light Walnut Oil after sanding, then Watco Rejuvenating Oil for maintenance once every couple of months (depending on your environment).  The black parts of the Khorns shouldn't need anything.

Thanks a lot Jim. Applying the Watco rejunvenating oil will do what exactly? Darken the wood and make it a bit shinier? Looking forward to the results and will post to this thread.

Lemon oil is quick and easy maintenance but it will look dried out within a few months.  I used Watco natural about 4 years ago and since then I use Lemon oil every few months but that often stretches to twice a year or so.  Take care of the stain first.  The application of Lemon oil with show you pretty close to how Watco will look.   If you are wanting to stay historically correct you could use boiled linseed oil which I did back in 2009 but I have moved on to Watco since then.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, khorn79er said:

Thanks a lot Jim. Applying the Watco rejunvenating oil will do what exactly? Darken the wood and make it a bit shinier? Looking forward to the results and will post to this thread.

First off, don't assume that all Klipsch have an oil finish.  Some have oil finish, some have lacquer, some are raw, some are painted.  By the looks of yours, they are oil finish.  Budman's suggestion is valid, and I've done that before as well.  The clear rejuvenating oil will feed the wood, darken it very slightly and improve the appearance.  Be sure to wipe it dry after you let it sit for just a couple of minutes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2017 at 1:52 PM, wuzzzer said:

I used tung oil on my oiled oak forte IIs with great results.

I will definitely consider tung oil, thanks for the suggestion!! Probably will test with Watco's and Tung oil and see what I prefer. Will post to the group the results.

Watco Rejuventing Oil is what Klipsch recommends and get the stuff without stain or colorant added. You can sand some things out and you can also get into deep trouble quickly since the veneer is thinner than you can imagine. Dittos to what the moderator said above. Follow his link and get some Barkeepers Friend and do no sanding.