Receiver for RF82-II + RC62-II

Dingo0613

I have recently purchased two rf82-ii and a rc-62ii. They look great and they seem to sounds great, but the question I have is if I am using too old/bad of a receiver for them. I have a Yamaha HTR-3063. I know that it only does 100 watts/channel and the rf82-ii has a 150 watt rms, but I have them in a fairly small, 750 sqft apartment so I do not run them loud. I am just worried that I have my nice new speakers, but am not really getting the quality out of them that I could because of my home theater in a box receiver. Additionally, I am not immediately sure of what specs I should really be looking for in a new receiver if it is determined that I need one. My TV is just a standard 60" 1080p Sony, so I am not worried about video quality, nor am I worried about streaming connectivity. I am currently thinking strictly audio quality. Some songs have really sounded amazing on them, and others have sounded fairly the similar to my former budget bookshelf speakers.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you in advance!

• Moderators

It's not so much about wattage as it is the quality of the sound it produces.  Klipsch are efficient so they don't require a lot of power.  If your receive put out 100 watts to your speakers, in order to gain 3db in volume, you would have to double the wattage to a 200 wpc amp. 

If you like Yamaha, I used an older Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver.  It was fully capable of driving a pair of RF-83, an RC-64 and a pair of RS-52.  Sounded fantastic!  There is one on Ebay for $260 shipped.

What features do you want it to have?  Do you have a 1080 or 4k tv?  Subwoofer?  What music source(s) are you listening to?

Yamaha generally matches up well with Klipsch.  Upgrade to a higher end Yamaha and you should be very happy.

Thank you both for the feedback. I really am only interested in audio quality as opposed to streaming features, internet connectivity, video passthrough capability, and loudness. Outside of those features is there any advantages that a newer receiver would provide me to make my current setup sound better that my HTR-3063 doesn’t? I hear people talk about distortion and different codecs and such but I don’t really onderstand it.

A newer receiver will have processing for lossless audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-Master,  a big upgrade from standard Dolby Digital.  They'll allow you room to expand if you want to add more surround channels.  Better automatic room correction programs such as Audyssey.

How much could you budget for a new receiver?

Lossless like Blu-Ray for discs and certain streaming and software based music, not DVDs.

For $250 you'll probably want to look at the used market.  Something brand new in that price range wouldn't give you too much of an upgrade.

You'll benefit all around, not just in surround sound formats.