SCAM WARNING! DAN DAWSON

Kgordonl

Just giving everyone a heads up that a member on here named Dan Dawson just tried to run a scam on me. 

He said that someone he knows has some CF-4's I'm looking for and provided an email address to his friend Gulley. 

I contacted Gulley who sent me pictures of the speakers. The price was cheap and wanted me to wire the money. I messaged Dan to see if he could vouch for this Gulley, and he did (likely the same person). 

Well low and behold, a quick reverse google of the images revealed they were from a post in 2015. 

Fair warning!  Don't be scammed by this piece of shit!  

IMG_3894.PNG

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Great job in doing your due diligence. 

I just checked the profile for "Dan Dawson" and he joined Nov 23 and has no posts.  Everybody has a first post so that's not necessarily a deal breaker, but it does require more research to make sure you don't get scammed.

I have been contacted before by other members wanting to know about a certain seller (can't remember the name), wanting to know my opinion if he was trustworthy, a valid person.  When doing business, even on this forum it is important to vette the seller.

• Like 1

He almost got me. Just a good reminder to only purchase using PayPal if not meeting in person. Also, reverse googling is your friend. 

Hopefully putting him on blast will prevent someone else from getting scammed. Of course, he will probably change his name and just keep on doing it. It's a shame there are pieces of shit like this guy out there, but is certainly a reality!

Be careful out there folks!

• Like 2

I Googled the Gmail address and found an old car site in which this scammer was trying the same thing.

20/20 hindsight is easy but what legit person is really going to have an e-mail address that is essentially "pay me" (paygullecaline@gmail.com)?      

• Like 1

NOT this same subject dude  but an on-line negotiation:
Going to be interesting. I answered an ad for a McIntosh MC2000 at a ridiculous price. I got a call just now and he sounded tweeked out. I was adamant that we meet at a police department in his town and just got babbling. Then the seller agreed to meet me here in my town but will call back. This dude couldn't stop talking. IF, IF the amp is what he says, at the price and at my local police station...damn right I'll buy it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, USNRET said:

NOT this same subject dude  but an on-line negotiation:
Going to be interesting. I answered an ad for a McIntosh MC2000 at a ridiculous price. I got a call just now and he sounded tweeked out. I was adamant that we meet at a police department in his town and just got babbling. Then the seller agreed to meet me here in my town but will call back. This dude couldn't stop talking. IF, IF the amp is what he says, at the price and at my local police station...damn right I'll buy it.

I'd be straight up shocked if there was a actual amp. lol