What music player are you using for digital files?

Hasty

I've typically just used youtube if I'm listening to digital music (I know it's low brow haha), but I was thinking it might be nice to have a library of saved music in a file database.  Any suggestions for software to play digital files?

Are most people simply copying CD's they own, or downloading the files?

I will stream from Pandora or I Heart.  For my personal collection which is 99.9% all digital, I keep in the cloud/ pc/MyBook Live.  This makes for easy browsing and playback.  Copying CD's eh?  I only have 4 CD's, lol.  I use either a Samsung BDP or the Oppo 203 as a transport.

Are you looking to use your PC as a source, perhaps via USB to a DAC?

Or, are you looking for an outboard device to connect to an audio system, using wifi or a LAN cable to access music files and streaming services?

If you want to play directly from your PC, Foobar is good free software to play music files. 

If your music is mostly CDs, you can rip them to FLAC files (lossless compression) to maintain the original fidelity.

Streaming services like Spotify Premium can be used for high quality streaming from the internet to your PC or an outboard streaming device.

Personally, I use a Sonos Connect to play FLAC files on my PC (ripped from my CDs) and to stream Spotify Premium.  The Connect is connected to my network via LAN cable.  Its digital coax output is connected to my DAC.

I ripped all my cd's to apple lossless on Itunes.   I know that is pretty lame but the transfer to my Ipod classic 160 gb and sound pretty good in my car and on my boat.   I also use music bee which is free on another pc.  I got a file convert program and convert them to flac for the music bee. 

Pono.  I’m buying a spare for when this one dies.  With it’s ESS Sabre DAC and balanced/differential outputs, it allows my TI 3255EVM class D amp to play beautiful music through my Super Heresys.  Now, I only touch physical media long enough to clean it and rip it to a FLAC file.

As to software, JRiver has worked well for me.

4 hours ago, adam2434 said:

Are you looking to use your PC as a source, perhaps via USB to a DAC?

Or, are you looking for an outboard device to connect to an audio system, using wifi or a LAN cable to access music files and streaming services?

If you want to play directly from your PC, Foobar is good free software to play music files. 

If your music is mostly CDs, you can rip them to FLAC files (lossless compression) to maintain the original fidelity.

Streaming services like Spotify Premium can be used for high quality streaming from the internet to your PC or an outboard streaming device.

Personally, I use a Sonos Connect to play FLAC files on my PC (ripped from my CDs) and to stream Spotify Premium.  The Connect is connected to my network via LAN cable.  Its digital coax output is connected to my DAC.

Yes, using a PC as a source and a S.M.S.L. or Emotiva DAC via USB.  Those are the two DAC's I've got.  I'll look into the foobar software. 

I use JRiver for streaming my ripped FLAC CD's via my Dell SFF i7 PC from my NAS and just switched from Spotify to Deezer for their lossless files that Spotify doesn't have...yet. 

Edit:  I have Deezer...not Tidal.  I did NOT like the Tidal experience.

17 hours ago, Hasty said:

Yes, using a PC as a source and a S.M.S.L. or Emotiva DAC via USB.  Those are the two DAC's I've got.  I'll look into the foobar software. 

EAC is good free software for ripping CDs to FLAC.

I think Foobar also has a plug-in for ripping to FLAC

As mentioned my tromprof, JRiver is a popular choice for both ripping and playback.  I believe it costs around 50 bucks.

Squeezebox. Have been using then since 2006. Can stream (play) my own extensive library or stream just about anything from the internet.

I have noticed from peoples photos that there are a few users of Squeezebox players in the Klipsch community.

Over the last 12-15 years I have done a lot with CDs ripped and stored on various home network configurations. I have several hardware and software combinations. Most were fussy and only I could make them work. This is where I have landed.

• EAC to rip CDs to FLAC - old interface but bit-perfect and simple once configured to your liking. Lots of dials and knobs to play with if that is your thing.
  • RAID 1 NAS to store the files - connected to home network. USB 2TB drive to backup FLAC files and keep offsite.
  • FLAC Squisher - Make FLAC files into any size MP3 for portability. Free and easy.
  • SONOS Play 1/3/5 speakers for casual listening all around the house - expensive for what they are. Sound very, very nice as they should. Worth the price of admission because of the entire SONOS system.
  • Two SONOS connects to connect my digitized world to quality audio/video systems - Coax and optical out along with analog out. Also has analog line in. Brilliant piece of kit.

The beauty of SONOS is it just works. It's the first system my wife can pick up and play with zero questions or problems. I think it took her 15 minutes to learn it inside and out. Upgrades are seamless. I have a tablet connected to Wifi that guests pick up and start playing DJ...zero learning curve. With the NAS there is no need to have  full blown PC running all the time. I used the heck out of various Squeezebox products but it did demand a lot of care and feeding. I've also had a Turtle Beach Audiotron. Also Popcorn Hour. Too many software only solutions including some older Windows media PCs. Nothing even comes close to SONOS for the complete package.

I have a purpose built Windows based server with a NAS unit. I too use EAC to rip the CDs to the NAS. The server is connected to a Benchmark DAC3. I have used JRiver in the past for music management and tidal lossless for streaming. I have since moved to ROON and absolutely love it. Great integration of my library and tidal.