I have some new schiit coming.

mr clean

Don't hate me non tone control types but I'm going to try  the schiit audio loki 4 band eq. I didn't want a ton of control to have to readjust 10 or 15 slides to taylor the sound each time a change was made just something to change things around abit if the recording needs help. Just ordered it a hour ago and it should be here in a few days. Anyone else using one or any of their other schiit?

http://www.schiit.com/products/loki

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I've had my Audio Control 520b since oh, 1979 or so. 5 bands (36, 60, 120, 1k, 15.5k) at +/- 12dB. Works like a charm and easier than changing diaphragms, crossovers, etc., with the same result. It's a no-brainer.

People will change tubes, cables,cords,drivers,etc to change sound but turn a knob oh hell no. I never got it but thats whats fun about audio. Its little different for everyone. If it sounds better to your ear how can it be a bad thing. Its the first time in my life saying this but I can't wait to get the schiits!  

• Like 2

• Moderators

Hope you like it, seems like all their schiit get's good reviews. :emotion-21:

4 hours ago, mr clean said:

People will change tubes, cables,cords,drivers,etc to change sound but turn a knob oh hell no. I never got it but thats whats fun about audio. Its little different for everyone. If it sounds better to your ear how can it be a bad thing.

Never understood it either. Kind of reminds me of the people who refuse to even consider an active crossover saying it manipulates the sound. But I guess all the parts in crossovers do nothing to change the sound, and different electronics, wires and everything else they wouldn't hesitate to change is not an adjustment. 

But the good part is there are millions of combinations with all this stuff, so everyone can find what they like. But if everyone knows the best way how come so many constantly switch things out. :ph34r2::) Because it's fun, when things improve anyway. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mr clean said:

Don't hate me non tone control types but I'm going to try  the schiit audio loki 4 band eq. I didn't want a ton of control to have to readjust 10 or 15 slides to taylor the sound each time a change was made just something to change things around abit if the recording needs help. Just ordered it a hour ago and it should be here in a few days. Anyone else using one or any of their other schiit?

http://www.schiit.com/products/loki

Looks promising.  Keep us posted.  Very interested in the noise and distortion.  If they are missing in action, sounds like a great product for systems that could use a little tweak that can't be done by room adjustments unless you want a broken arm.:D

• Like 1

It should be here tuesday.  the eq doesn't just effect the freqs at the eq points. it covers 20 to 20000 hz. If  the adjustment at 20 hz is raised 3 db it effects 100 hz at 2.5 db. It  Here is a vid that explains how it works.

• Moderators

Looks good, the main thing is it should not add unwanted problems like the old type, just moves frequencies a little like a good 4 tone control, and at a good price. Plus it can be turned off to go back to normal, should do the trick. I've heard someone call it just adding salt and pepper.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mr clean said:

Would it be any different than changing the crossover and if so how?  

You mean changing out one type of crossover for another -- where the slopes are different? Well, it's the same but different -- both involve filtering -- so from that perspective it is the same. One big difference is that a crossover is used to adjust the acoustic output of the drivers. I have argued this before though -- that a crossover is also just a big overgrown "tone control" (caught hell for that). Hey, I don't understand crossovers -- I just build them. :-).

• Like 1

I had schiit on the front porch when I got home! Hooked it up and played with it for a half hour or so. Have not found any thing bad to report. Super quiet when  the controls are turned and you don't know its inline until adjustments are made and no imaging issues to report. Clapton stayed right in the middle of the stage. Will need more time for a better report and for now controls are left to right 2:00, 01:00, 10:00, and 01:00 o'clock. Two of the knobs were very slightly off the zero but I haven't corrected them yet. Just need to pull them off and move them a fuzz but it really does not bother me because they won't be at 0 anyway. I would go ahead and say buy it but Im going to give it a week before I make a call like that. It is very small but build quality looks great!  Does anyone have a frequency response graph for a rp280f?

50 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I had schiit on the front porch when I got home! Hooked it up and played with it for a half hour or so. Have not found any thing bad to report. Super quiet when  the controls are turned and you don't know its inline until adjustments are made and no imaging issues to report. Clapton stayed right in the middle of the stage. Will need more time for a better report and for now controls are left to right 2:00, 01:00, 10:00, and 01:00 o'clock. Two of the knobs were very slightly off the zero but I haven't corrected them yet. Just need to pull them off and move them a fuzz but it really does not bother me because they won't be at 0 anyway. I would go ahead and say buy it but Im going to give it a week before I make a call like that. It is very small but build quality looks great!  Does anyone have a frequency response graph for a rp280f?

This is intriguing. It would be great to see some in room before and after measurements.

Measurements don’t tell the whole tale in my limited experience but I cant help but chase the missing detail (darn headphones) Price is right too.

9 minutes ago, bkevind said:

I have Multi-bit modi 2, and the asgard 2.

I was thinking about getting one of the Schiit preamps.  I do not need the balanced connections on the Freya so may try the Saga.  

What speakers are you using with the modi 2/asgard 2? 

24 minutes ago, jbsl said:

I was thinking about getting one of the Schiit preamps.  I do not need the balanced connections on the Freya so may try the Saga.  

What speakers are you using with the modi 2/asgard 2? 

I bought them for my Sennheiser HD 650.  I wind up using the modi2 between my PC and my NAD integrated that feeds my Forte II.  Sounds so good!  I usually stream Tidal but also have a lot of FLAC files I ripped from our old CD collection.