Crossover Settings

HouseintheWoods

I am trying to figure out which crossover settings to use on my Onkyo TX NR-646 receiver. My Fronts are RP-250F, RP-440C center, RP-240S rear surround,  Yamaha YST-SW216 10" 100 watt sub and Onkyo SKH-410 Atmos Speakers. And what are the best settings n this receiver for watching mainly action movies? Thanks

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome and others will help, I would start at 80 and see how it sounds.

Don't go to low it will make all your speakers work harder and also make your Onkyo work harder. Setting at 80 or somewhere around there will let the hard to reproduce sounds go to the sub which has it's own amplifier.  

But others here will help, they have much more HT experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HouseintheWoods said:

I am trying to figure out which crossover settings to use on my Onkyo TX NR-646 receiver.

What does your AccuEQ suggest?  Your Onk has a nice room correction feature for just that reason.

+++

If you don't want to run your AccuEQ (I highly suggest you do) then the other suggestions to set everything, the speakers and sub to 80 Hz is the best place to start. 

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

What does your AccuEQ suggest?  Your Onk has a nice room correction feature for just that reason.

+++

If you don't want to run your AccuEQ (I highly suggest you do) then the other suggestions to set everything, the speakers and sub to 80 Hz is the best place to start. 

The AccuEQ is putting the center and 2 floor standings at 40Hz. Which doesn't seem right to me with the sub. That's why I was kind curious on opinions about it.

2 hours ago, HouseintheWoods said:

The AccuEQ is putting the center and 2 floor standings at 40Hz. Which doesn't seem right to me with the sub. That's why I was kind curious on opinions about it.

The lower XO point might be the best sound for your environment.  Remember, the AccuEQ is not only measuring the speakers but the room as well in ways we could never do with our ears.

I had Khorns which Audyssey (Onkyo 717) had set at 40.  I manually reset the speakers to 80 Hz.  What I found out was the sound of the tuba had disappeared from the speaker.  I could hear it but there was no oomph.  I put the Khorns back to 40 Hz and the tuba was back.

I don't believe any of the room correction systems work for absolutely every situation, but I do know when I mess around with my own settings and completely screw up the sound (which I do more often than would be considered normal)  a quick Audyssey run will restore order and everything is back to sounding good. 

Your mileage may vary.  B)

• Like 1