RF7-ll power handling

AsD

2 hours ago, AsD said:

AVR? No i have a Rotel Ra-1592 at the moment. I am however thinking about changing it out with a pair of bridged NC502 .

Jeez, how what kind of SPL level are you looking for?  :)

I can't imagine the RA-1592 not having enough power for RF-7 II's, even at very high SPL in a large room.

Heck, my 100 w/ch Rotel RX-1052 can power my RF-7 II's to higher SPLs than I can tolerate in an 18'x50' area.  Had an empty house one night shortly after buying them, and pushed the volume to 105-107 dB peaks from the 12' listening position with some concert blurays.  That was too loud for extended listening.

22 minutes ago, Deang said:

Yikes, that's not very good advice!

It's a compression driver with an 1" exit. I say 50 watts.

OK, let's go with that.  Not good advice.  Let's go with 50 watts.  Now a practical question.

What AVR do you know of that has bi-amp capabilities that will blow up an RF-7 tweeter playing at reference levels, because of the bi-amped signal?  Please name the AVR if you know of one.  I don't.

My contention is that any modern AVR with built-in bi-amp switching in the bios will not blow the tweeter out of a speaker designed for bi-amping, because of the bi-amping.  I suggest the speaker through the crossover will protect the tweeter if not overdriven with excessive SPL and therefore distortion, the same as if it were not bi-amped.

You and I can't argue about this as you are twice as smart as me when it comes to crossover networks and you win by default.  But if I am mistaken in my thinking about AVR's and bi-amping, please feel free to correct me.  It's all about learning.  B)

The OP isn't using an AVR, he's using a 2-channel integrated with 200 wpc. He wants to move to some Hypex Class-D amps that put out 500 wpc.

What he asked was what the tweeter might be rated to take - I answered the question based on what was asked.

Now while it's true that a resistor in the high pass section of the network would probably burn up at very high output, that's probably not something we would want to see either -- so, no, I don't agree that it "...can handle any kind of bi-amping you can throw at it".

As for AVRs, seems to me that any AVR rated at 100 wpc could potentially damage the crossover or tweeter if driven to max output.

8 hours ago, AsD said:

I am thinking about bi amping a pair of Rf7-ll does anyone know how much power the tweeter can handle?

True bi amping or what is sometimes referred to as fools bi amping?

Are you simply going to disconnect the jumpers in back and wire each high/low input separately or are you going to disconnect the internal crossover and have active crossovers?

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

True bi amping or what is sometimes referred to as fools bi amping?

Are you simply going to disconnect the jumpers in back and wire each high/low input separately or are you going to disconnect the internal crossover and have active crossovers?

I didn't give it that much thought other then to ask you guys. ☺

24 minutes ago, Deang said:

That's the size of the diaphragm... 

You are right about that. And you could also be right about the 50 watts. That was kinda what i thought. But it would be good to know for sure. If nothing else then just to be on the safe side. I know that i might not push them that far but better safe then sorry.

The loudspeakers are so efficient, you're not going to gain anything by adding power. I use a 35 wpc tube amplifier with my LaScalas, and I can reach insane SPL levels. 

That Rotel is a very nice integrated. 200 wpc is more than enough. 

Hypex might be a bit smoother, but I wouldn't bi-amp, and I definitely wouldn't bridge them. 

About 650 sq feet. It's around 28x23. I don't really sit. I got a pool table, some dart boards, a bar, a motor bike and two couches in there.

And it is very well insulated and i have a couple hundred yards to the nearest neighbor. If you can see where i'm going. 😉