Sub Phase

dtr20

Question 1, do I have my 4 subs in the correct phase for my room.  I am not sure about my subs behind my TV facing away from each other.  They are Cambridge Soundworks PSW1 12" master and slave subs (the master has the amp and you hook up the slave to the master for power).  I have them both in phase, facing away from each other pointing at the wall (the only way I have room for these subs).  I have a Klipsch SW-12 II 12" sub on the left side of my room in between a couch and a KLF10, and I have a Definitive Technologies PF18 18" sub at the back right hand corner which is 180 degrees out of phase.  Is this setup properly?  Sorry for the bad MS Paint diagram of my room.

Question 2, should I replace the Klipsch SW-12 II sub with the Dayton Audio SUB-1500 15" sub?  Thanks in advanced for the help.

Untitled.png

• 2 weeks later...

In general subs should all have the same phase setting.   However i have seen many occasions where one sub needs its phase 180 out for best integration.  Phase and distance are not exactly the same thing either, so ideally each sub can have its phase and distance set independently.

A simple test is measure one sub by itself.  Add another sub and measure.  Flip the phase of that extra sub and measure again.  One setting usually has a much higher overall output which is "correct."  Then add another sub and repeat...measure, flip the phase and choose the better/higher output.

If you have trouble differentiating them then leave them in the same phase.

The choice to change subs is not related to phase settings so dont change with that idea in mind.  

The 18 should be in or out of phase with the others based upon measurements...but generally speaking all subs should be in the same phase setting.  

In one of my theaters one of 4 subs is out of phase with the others and the output difference is quite large....out of phase its a much smoother higher output...in phase its choppy and lower.  

You wont be able to tell just by ear with 4 subs theres too much going on.  

• Like 1

In general, subs pressurize most rooms, so they should all be "in phase".  Still you should sit at your spot and have another twist the dials to see what sounds loudest/best.  The attached paper says the best location for subs and cost is to have 4, midwall on each wall.  I don't recall the investigators adjusting phase.  As to replacement, bigger and deeper are better, if the distortion is still low. 

Mulitiple Subs - Number and Locations.pdf