PSA S1500 vs. SVS PC13 Ultra or ??

91RS

I've, apparently, been bitten by the subwoofer bug but I'm pretty limited by budget and the WAF.  I figured I'd post this here and get some thoughts and opinions since I like how everyone is fairly unbiased here (at least on subs!).  Backstory: I started with a Polk PSW111 and then I got a Klipsch R-12SW as part of a package deal and that kinda started it.  Then I decided on an SVS PC-2000 and I was great for movies but I felt it was lacking for music.  I was going to just keep it since this system is mostly for TV and movies but I found a PSA S1500 for sale locally and I knew it be better for music and I was hoping I would get enough in-room extension to get close to the PC2000 on the low end and I just wanted to try it (I figured I could resell and break even if needed).  Unfortunately, I didn't get as much extension as I was hoping for BUT it does sound fantastic for music and I do really like the tight clean sound of it plus it rates pretty high with the WAF since it's "small."  So I returned the PC2000 but I just keep wondering if I made the wrong decision since this is mostly for TV and movies and the SVS was great for that.  The room is about 17'x14' with openings to the foyer on one side and the kitchen/dining area to the rear.

I was trying to come up with some potential options to consider that wouldn't cost me much more than what I can get reselling my PSA (plus I'm still working on selling my R-12SW).  My main consideration was trying to find a used PC12 or PC13.  These should have more output and a little more extension than the PC-2000 so maybe they'll sound better with music and also since they can be ported or sealed with the plugs, I'd have options with them.  They're tall though.  The PC13 is 13" taller than the PC2000.  For the price of those I could buy two R-115SW's that are on sale right now but those are also huge and that would double down on it and even still is a bit more than I'd like to spend.  Another option could be two of something smaller like the PB-1000.  I'd have the advantages of two subs then but would two of those give me an advantage on the low end over the S1500 and still sound good with music?  Those are small enough I could run two and probably still be good on the WAF.  I got that idea from an article I read where the guy said he'd choose two PB-1000's over one HSU VTF-15H.

Looking at the frequency response graph on SVS's web site, it looks like the PC-2000 has more SPL than the PC-13 overall and also still has almost 80db at 10hz where the PC-13 pretty much drops off to below 60db but the roll off starts above 20Hz on the PC-2000 and below 20Hz on the PC-13.    Is that the only advantage to the PC-13 over a PC-2000?  That would give the PC-13 even more advantage over the PC-2000 for movies but would probably be worse for music since it has less SPL above 20Hz compared to the PC-2000?

Also, looking at the graphs it doesn't look like even two PB-1000s would be an upgrade over the one S1500 other than the benefits two subs over one provides.  It looks like it would take two SB-2000 or PB-2000 to be an upgrade and at those prices I'd probably be better off waiting for another used S1500 to pop up, since both of those options are over budget.

Does good for movies and good for music just not go together until you spend a lot more than this?

That looks great but I'm not good with woodwork so I doubt mine would turn out that well!  Is that the Stereo Integrity 18"

I ended up finding a good deal on an older SVS PC-13 Ultra that had a brand new Sledge amplifier installed and I pulled the trigger on that.

Also to note for anyone who may see this in the future, I do now understand that how I was looking at the frequency response graphs was incorrect.

• 2 months later...
That looks great but I'm not good with woodwork so I doubt mine would turn out that well!  Is that the Stereo Integrity 18"

I ended up finding a good deal on an older SVS PC-13 Ultra that had a brand new Sledge amplifier installed and I pulled the trigger on that.

Also to note for anyone who may see this in the future, I do now understand that how I was looking at the frequency response graphs was incorrect.

I know this is a old thread but how do you like the PC-13 Ultra compared to the PC-2000 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk