Just scored a beautiful pair of cherry RB-5 IIs !

wuzzzer

Somewhat local guy had a bunch of audio stuff for sale all for $200.  Denon 7.1 receiver, polk audio center speaker and surrounds, Klipsch RB-5 IIs.  I asked him if he'd sell me just the Klipsch and he said yep - $100!  Picked them up a couple hours ago.  Beautiful condition!

He's been an electric and audio tech for 30 years and said one of the woofers stopped working but he re soldered all the connections in the crossover and everything was fine.  He had them hooked up so I could listen.  So, so very nice!

They will be used as my side surrounds.

So, between the KG 4s, SC-3 center, RB-5 IIs and the dual subwoofers in my signature all of my speakers combined have cost me...

$330.  TOTAL.  It pays to be patient.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, willland said:

Nice.  Looks more like the two pairs of mahogany that I once owned.  Maybe just the lighting.

Yeah they're not that dark in person.  One is lighter than the other even though consecutive serial #s.  One must have had more sunlight than the other.

I'm tempted yet apprehensive to connect them as mains...anyone think I'll like them more than my KG 4s as mains?

Yeah tell me about it.  As soon as my wife got home from work last night it was "well, I'm off to buy more speakers!"

Today I cleaned up the grills, wiped down the wood and as I was looking everything over I noticed the foam inside was completely blocking the rear port.  Took the drivers out and rearranged both foam pieces.  Did the same with the other speaker too.

Set them up on the stands they'll be used on and the base that they sit on is exactly the same dimensions length and width as the speakers are.  Perfect!

12 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Yeah they're not that dark in person.  One is lighter than the other even though consecutive serial #s.  One must have had more sunlight than the other.

I'm tempted yet apprehensive to connect them as mains...anyone think I'll like them more than my KG 4s as mains?

RB5s are sleepers.  Very good sounding by themselves if you don't look for very deep bass.  They punch above their cost and size (though not little).

• Like 1

Currently hooked up as my front mains instead of the KG 4s.  Wow, they are an extremely nice speaker!  I'm almost sad to be using them as surrounds.  I had actually been looking for KG 2.x speakers as surrounds when I ran across these at a deal too good to pass up.

10 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

Best book shelves we have done.....

The reason I never sold mine since buying them new.  Ton of other speakers have come and gone.

9 hours ago, TasDom said:

Interesting, do you consider them better than the RB75's? I've never heard the RB5-II's but do own RB5's and RB75's and prefer the 75's

It may have been the best balanced speaker for it's intended usage though I would like to hear RB75s.  I believe the RB5s were to be used in some studios for monitors.