Yam or denon

midospike

OK, your treading on "sacred" ground for some in this room. LOL I suggest YOU make the decision based on what YOU feel and hear? Not the specs, not the write ups in this hot magazine flavor of the moment.( That happens to have a big advertising budget, and has several ads in this months issue too...) hehehehehe But, what sounds the best to you. I have used Yamaha and Dennon, so in this post I can be even. LOL

You may also pic a unit based on the ease of hooking everything up to your system and so when using the remote, integration might be a factor. You also might consider the yes I will say it .. the PRICE too. LOL.

I mean if you happen to save enough over one brand or another all things being equal? Are several more CD's, or DVD's worth the savings too.

But then again...Never sacrifice what you think is the best, even if you have to wait a little longer to get it. You will never be happy... and spend the rest of your life doing a what if? So take your time.. If it sounds and feels good...IT IS!!!!!! Just a thought.

Money is not the problem. I've had old denon stuff before and never had yam. I know it is what I like to heard,I was just wondering what other people had to say about the eq. People complain about the sony da555es. I NEVER had one problem. I just want something newer or with a true 4/5 ch amp for cd listening. Audioreview.com was helpful but people seem a little brighter ( I Hope) at times. I just want to be happy again.

I have had both Yamaha and Denon with different Klipsch speakers.

Depends on the sound you are looking for.Yamaha is a bit bright for me and Denon a little more laid back in the high end.

I set up a friends system a while back.He had a small Yam and was driving some'96 La Scalas and I was listening to some 2 channel music(jazz,classic rock)and I thought the combo was very nice.

He went with the Denon 3801 and K-Horns.We both felt the HT was better.

The only thing I don't like about Yamaha is their remote.Pain in the ***(IMHO).It's what ever you get used to.Denon is a lot easier to me.But that is not why I went with Denon.I just like the sound.It's very natural sounding.

It's just my opinion.

Go listen and decide.It's not always easy to do that at some dealers.

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.Dish Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Bed room HT:KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR.

There is a big Denon crowd here and I am one of them. Yet, Yamaha is very good indeed! I just bought a Yamaha CDRW and their support is very good where I hear Denon's is not.

Over the many months of surfing through this board it seems to me that the Yamaha people did not like the Denon sound and vice versa. I guess you will just have to audition and let us know. I do think that the 5 ch stereo is great.

You sound like your really know your stuff. I just bought a house and love music. here is what I have so far.

sony 36 xbr4oo

Playstation 2

Pioneer cld501 laser too

pioneer dv-05 elite(for sale)

sony da555es (sold) Most likely denon 3801?

sony 795hf too

mirage om-10

mirage om-3 center

klipsch quintets ( nice ht system)

most like switch to pardign rears

12 ksw sub (nice)

other room

Harman/kardon pm665 vxi amp

philps CD-I photo c/d waste of money player

h/k tuner

sony mini disk mz-1 recorder never used

scott speakers (old but classic)

epiture model 4 speaker(sounds kickass)

now get this a Jensen audio/video/monitor intergraded system Real high end in the 80's and the picture is almost as good 36 xbr.Playstation one.

Thanks for the infor, the denon I can for $822.95 to the door and a yam v3000 $1378 to th door or yam v1000 $668. choices?

I use a Yamaha 995 with Klipsch speakers and it sounds great. I switched from a Marantz receiver which (like Denon) is suppose to be warmer but I sure haven't noticed the difference with analog sources. I am very skeptical about how much a receiver can color the music compared to the speakers. Just look at the frequency response curves.

What I look for in a mid priced receiver is low distortion which both Denon and Yamaha deliver. At the time I purchased two years ago, Denon did not have DTS in this price range. Now it does. You need to listen for yourself and decide whether its worth the extra money.

As a strictly two channel audio guy, I debated between a Denon receiver and a Yamaha receiver. After some listening, I thought both sounded quite good. There were a couple of reasons I chose the Yamaha (model 596). 1) it had a damping factor of 240+, which is higher than many separates and is important for controlling the heavy 15" woofer cone in my Cornwalls - especially at high volumes. 2) it not only has a tone bypass, but also a special dedicated CD direct preamp (also bypasses tone, balance, selector switch, loudness) - the sound is perceptably cleaner when engaged. 3) very importantly, its tone controls boost the bass and treble at 20hz and 20KHz, respectively, by 10dB max. Every other make, except Nakamichi, boosts their bass at 100Hz (even the NAD) which is no good for Cornwalls because the Cornwalls actually have a peak at 100Hz (and roll off below 39Hz). Although I usually listen to my music flat, this difference is very audable and can make for some low bass boost without any boom (nice feature for La Scalas?).

Before the RX-596, I was using a Carver receiver - TERRIBLE SOUND (tinny and thin), after the Carver, I was using a rebuilt Fisher 500c tube receiver - lovely sound - blew the Carver into the weeds. I found this out by accident and when I did, I gave that Carver away, instantly. I was furious that thing had been tricking me for the past 10 years (praise to the Cornwalls for hacking it). Anyway, as beautiful as the Fisher is, the Yamaha actually sounds better - better bass, mildly smoother midrange. Note: the Fisher is being used with a vintage pair of Bozak's with primo results.

Also, and this was an unexpected suprise, this thing really has a good phono section - I was pleased.

The only drawback is the remote only works with Yamaha components, which is a minor complaint for me. Oh yeah, I would like an LED on the volume control since I have small children (you figure it out).

One other thing, this receiver is conservatively rated for 80 WPC, but is also rated for 200WPC into 2 ohms - sweet amperage capability for a receiver.

Klipschguy

I agree with the previous posts....Ya gotta check them out for yourself.

I have owned Yamaha for years, so I can't speak for the others. My old receiver (RXV2090) has been fantastic. And hey Klipschguy..this one does have the led on the volume knob..(why did they quit doin' that??)

Take care

The Yamaha underdog. biggrin.gif .....................

Mike

No one mentioned Onkyo? I recently bought 4 Quintet's, KSW-12 Sub, and the KSC-C1 center, to go with my old Technics receiver. Well, now I want a new receiver, and heard the Onkyo's match nicely with Klipsch speakers, and reading info on the new TX-DS595, it sounded nice.

I wish there was a way I could 'test' some different receivers. Anyone have the same speaker setup I have? If so, which receiver you using?

2 channel stereo is wonderful on a Denon. You will also enjoy 5 channel stereo as well. But if you are a purist then the direct sound mode is the way to go. You will hear every bit of sound on the recording. Of course as everyone here has suggested, listening is the 'proof of the pudding'. I have enjoyed my 3300 immensely. Best of luck in your search.

Bill J.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve P your quite right with your remark about the remote from Yamaha it S*cks. There is noway you can program it to your liking that is why I bought the Pronto remote. And midospike try to find a shop where you can listen the models you like. I bought a Yamaha DSP-A1 with the reference speakers front centre and rear. I love the sound my Yamaha makes, but to be honest I never ever listened to a Denon receiver equal to the Yamaha. But I'm very happy with my set. Depending on the mood I'm in I will switch between 2ch and 5ch(DSP mode) on the Yamaha and I do like that. But Denon/Yamaha its all in ones mind. Guys why is there only a discussion between Denon and Yamaha and where is Pioneer?

I LOVE my Yamaha RX-V3000!!! I started with a Denon 4800, which after reading everything i did on the internet, i was expecting amazing results. Boy was i disappointed - virtually no bass, ear piercing highs, unbearable to listen to. Could've been a bad unit, but now that i have the Yamaha, i've never looked back. The other thing that really turned me off about Denon was there cust. service, or lack thereof i should say. There are a lot of Denon freaks here though, and that says something for there stuff. I liked an older Pro-Logic Onkyo my friend has on the KLF's, but i haven't heard the new stuff, and again, cust. support sucks.

I think the bright thing that some refer to with Yamaha must have been on the older units, cuz i actually kicked my treble up a notch on my KLF-30's. If i were going all out though, i would seriously consider a Marantz SR-19.

I like the remote that came with my Yam, it took a day to get used to, but since i figured it out, it's been great. It doesn't have pretty picures like the Pronto, but it controls everything except the garbage disposal! biggrin.gif

-Rich

Actualy,we have had Yamaha,Onkyo,B&K seperates.All with Klipsch.We like the Denon sound.Mystery doesn't have a problem with me buying Denon,and I trust her judgment.We have had 4 Denon recievers and I hope I've found my last.The only reason for changing has been upgrading to the newer technoligy.

When will that ever stop?

I rebuilt a system for a friend that has the Yam DSP-A1 and KSP-400,C-7 and KSP-S6's.Sounded very nice.

Check em both out,you can't really tell by our opinions.That's my opinion!

Hello all,

Thanks for all the advice. I went with the Denon 3801 and a pioneer dv-d36. I still have the sony da555es and the sound is un-natuarl and fake(not bad just different) sounding. The denon sounds more true to life. I love the 7ch stereo. I went to the local hifi store and listen to the yam. I kinda heard the the sony sound to it. I was told the yam stills processes the music in 5ch and 7ch modes. The yam has more toys on it like the sony too. The Denon just seemed better. I didn't mean to start anything. Bye the way I have a sony for sale>>>

speaking of onkyo, i have an onkyo 575x that does an excellent job with my kg5.5's and kt-lcr speakers. don't know about customer service, because i haven't needed to call them (knock on wood). i use 5 channel stereo fairly often, mostly so i can hear the music accross the house or outside (gotta get those B speakers set up). it sounds very solid. the remote was a big plus too. learned everything my other remotes did, so now we just use the one. anyway, my 2 cents.