Worth it to upgrade already existing in-ceiling speakers?

wuzzzer

Previous owner of my house installed a pair of Definitive Technology 6.5" in-ceiling speakers in a spot that would make them excellent rears for a 7.1 setup.  A long time ago I hooked them up but they were drowned out by my other speakers even when their levels were cranked up.

I've seen on eBay pairs of Klipsch basic 6.5" in-ceiling speakers go for around $100 and that's pretty much what I'd want to spend not knowing how well they'd work.  Should I do it?  Would it make more sense to go with Reference series in-ceilings?  I want the speakers to be noticeable, not just subtle.

kind of surprised they aren't getting loud enough.  Maybe too big of an efficiency difference.  Have you played them on their own to see if they sound ok?  Deftechs aren't shy about getting loud in my experience.  in-ceiling are generally underwhelming compared to in room speakers.  

I'm thinking about a pair of in-ceiling deftech UIW RCS II for the kitchen.  They will have to play stand alone (no sub) so I wanted something that can play reasonably full range.   What I like about them is they are well reviewed, and come complete with their own back box.

Anyway.  In the living room I installed 4x Klipsch CDT-5800II.  They work quite well as front and rear height channels.  They sound pretty decent on their own, and add nice fill when I'm in the mood for multi channel music listening.