Rb-75 for 2 Channel Music

Ray_pierrewit

I recently bought a nice pair of RB-75 in Maple and have been listening to them in a 2 Channel music only system, and they're just great! Is anyone else using these for music only? I find them better than the Heresy Is I own, but clearly inferior to the Forte and Lascala. They've got great shimmering highs and enough low end to make it enjoyable. My wife finds them nice and modern looking as opposed to the aforementioned speakers which she has always tolerated without complaining. Great score, now to find a place for them!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I recently bought a nice pair of RB-75 in Maple and have been listening to them in a 2 Channel music only system, and they're just great! Is anyone else using these for music only?

Yes I am, and they rock.  They were wonderful in true stereo but adding my RSW-10d to the mix took them to a new level.

10 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I find them better than the Heresy Is I own

I can't say they are "better" than my Heresy Is(different room, different electronics) but they are different sounding.

12 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

They've got great shimmering highs and enough low end to make it enjoyable.

Could not agree more.  They are one special pair of "bookshelf" speakers.

Enjoy your toys.

Bill

• Like 1

I should've qualified my comment about the "better than my Heresy Is"... what I meant was that as much as I love the Heresy, they only seem to really please me when I drive them louder, as in concert level volumes. The RB-75 are satisfying at all levels, I can only imagine with a sub!

"They are the best reference book shelf ever made (just saying)". Wow, that's quite the statement! I was able to trade a spare Lenco L75 I had lying around plus some cash, so it looks as though I've made quite a move. Just as I thought I had all the Klipsch speakers I wanted... what's next??

Daniel

5 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I should've qualified my comment about the "better than my Heresy Is"... what I meant was that as much as I love the Heresy, they only seem to really please me when I drive them louder, as in concert level volumes. The RB-75 are satisfying at all levels, I can only imagine with a sub!

"They are the best reference book shelf ever made (just saying)". Wow, that's quite the statement! I was able to trade a spare Lenco L75 I had lying around plus some cash, so it looks as though I've made quite a move. Just as I thought I had all the Klipsch speakers I wanted... what's next??

Daniel

Khorns :D:D:D

Mark

• 1 month later...

Argh, this hurts... In my 15 or so years of hifi I've never blown a driver and now I think I may have. Grrr.

So one of my RB-75 has developed a distinct distortion. I don't get it, they've never been overdriven and I'm at a loss trying to find a solution. I've tried different amps and sources. It seems like one speaker is fine but the other is in distress! I think it's the LF driver. I've found some reasonably priced replacements for sale. Are these difficult to replace?

Can anyone tell me of a way confirm if and which driver is damaged? Is there a safe way of testing the other speaker?

The only thing I can think of was when I was listening to vinyl once, I noticed that the woofers were extending a crazy amount, but without audible distortion so I dismissed it as normal. Can this have damage the speaker?

Curses! 

38 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

Are these difficult to replace? Can anyone tell me of a way confirm if and which driver is damaged? Is there a safe way of testing the other speaker?

I'm pretty sure you just have to remove the screws on the face and the whole front panel comes off with the drivers mounted to them. I've never seen them apart so it really depends on how they were assembled on how easy it would be to test each driver or change them out. Worst case scenario they soldered things together but doubt that's that case. If you feel comfortable enough pull the front panel on the speaker giving you problems and post some pictures. 

If I ever went back to a Reference speaker, it would be 75's with a sub. Add them to the list of speakers I never should have sold.

Excellent for a two-channel bedroom/small room system.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

I've tried and it's smooth in and out on both speakers. Hmmm... am I missing something?

You're probably going to have to pull the speaker apart to find out for sure what is going on as it sounds like you've isolated the problem to the one speaker enclosure ruling out the source amplifier preamp speaker cables IC's or anything else it could possibly be right? 

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

What exactly does it sound like?

Well, it's almost like it drops in volume with jumbled sound...

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

You're probably going to have to pull the speaker apart to find out for sure what is going on as it sounds like you've isolated the problem to the one speaker enclosure ruling out the source amplifier preamp speaker cables IC's or anything else it could possibly be right? 

I removed the front panel with the HF compression driver attached and disconnected the two drivers. I then replaced the foam inside and reconnected them. I'm not sure what to look for, but everything looked OK. Before screwing the front panel back I tried playing some music and, lo!, it seems to be fixed. I screwed the front panel back in place and have been playing music since and I haven't had any issues for now. I haven't pushed them too hard, sort of reluctant to do that at this time, plus everyone is in bed. I'll report back in a few days with updates.

Very mysterious indeed.