This oughta be good.....LSI split updates....

jimjimbo

Starting on winter projects, because, well, there's 6 inches of snow out there, and it's damn cold....

Decided to try what I'm thinking is going to be a very worthwhile "update" to the LSI splits that I acquired several years ago from a fellow forum member who I'm sure is still pi$$ed that he even decided to sell them....

Anyway, installing A-55G mids and Crites CT120 tweeters over recapped AA crossovers.  Got one done this afternoon, and working on the other tonight.  Not a whole lot of room to work in the HF section, so it's a bit slow going.  Modest checkout tonight, looking forward to cranking them up tomorrow.

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

With those drivers, there's no doubt they'll sound great. Ask me how I know (finally). ;) What caps are you using in the LSI's? The Daytons? 

Yes, the Dayton Precision Audio 1%.  They sounded great with the "old" drivers, should be terrific with the new ones.

10 minutes ago, Schu said:

Let me give it some thought. I got them for my LS but they have never been installed.

Schu, I'll be honest, I would very highly doubt that you would want to replace the K-55-X in your LS II's with the A55G's.  The symmetry, presentation and imagery between all of the drivers in your speakers is damn hard to beat.  Personally, I think you'd be wasting your time....

Jim, you should try some of these Russian MBGO capacitors from this seller.  He was a helluva nice person and matched things up so I had 2 caps that totaled 13uf in parallel plus the other two 2uf caps per board; they were matched pairs.  Wasn't a lot of money and they sound really darn good.  I had them in a short amount of time, too, from Bulgaria.  I forgot to take pictures of my Type AA's all done...only had a part way picture; not that they were overly exciting, but turned out good for being on the vintage boards.  I think I spent about 40 bucks on all of them shipped.

This is the only pic I had. I'll get another with them all done. 

20171209_211825-1024x576-1024x576.jpg

I've got a surplus of Dayton's, Clarity Caps and two Genteqs from Carl.  As good as the Dayton's sounded already, I wanted to try the new drivers with them.

I'll be building/modding some other networks this winter, so will give the Genteqs a go, and perhaps the Russians.