Buyer Beware

lucky5115

Purchased CSW-450 crossover from Amps&Sounds designed by ALK. Justin was friendly until after the sale. Don't ask any simple questions about the product because you'll get a simple ask Al, I signed a confidential agreement. Call ALK and you'll get the confidential blah blah blah.  The crossovers arrived missing a solder joint on the lpad and also missing the label tags for hookup. That's quality control! I own the product and just wanted to upgrade the caps with same values and learn a little bit more about them, not to copy.. Don't dare ask the values of the inductors.. This is a truthful statement. 

I feel like a north korean in a prisoner camp... don't ask any questions..    

• Like 1

Relax.

Try to understand Justin's position: it's not his design -- he's just the builder. Al apparently doesn't want the design floating around out there, which is kind of funny, because from the pictures you sent me -- all of the parts are marked, including the coils -- which still have the stickers on them! 

Over the years, I've also made mistakes while building. It's called human error!

I saw your email, but decided not to respond. I get a lot of mail asking me about other people's work and designs. I honestly feel like it's not appropriate for me to comment.

Seriously, if you really wanted something "better", why did you buy an entry level build?

Okay, if you want a better sounding network, replace all of the RED AUDYN capacitors, which are pure unmitigated junk.

Really don't understand why you brought your issues to this forum anyway?  If you have a beef with Justin, raise it and resolve it with him.  If you have a beef with ALK, raise it and resolve it with him.  And, shockingly, I agree with Dean as well.......

• Like 1

Dean,

I'm relaxed ..lol 

Sure we all make mistakes. The first one being partnering with AL as  you are aware. Why?  I bought because of the 2nd order design which actually gets rid of that cornscala bass/mid trouble spot and ability to attenuate the mid 1db & tweet 2db, knowing I could replace those nasty caps. Can't even get an answer on the induct values... really?  Don't blame him? I'm not the one who signed the dotted line with AL..  Paid good coin and support or product info is non-existent. How'd you like to buy a Cisco switch, call for support or even prod info and there is none. Yes, I reached out to you because of your expertise. Justin did do a good build overall and I know it took some time to build them. 

Jim, when you get hung up on, there is no talking..and ever talk to AL? nuff said. I not looking for agreement. Been here many years and Never a neg comment ever. This situation has reared it's ugly head for many years on this forum which is why. Greg started it.. LoL.  

Let me add me 2 cents to this. 

1st, telling me I missed a solder joint right after you share that you have a de solder station does not lend to ones credibility.

The networks were tested before being sent. I don't believe his claim. 

Discussing his electronics background and then asking very specific theoretical questions went beyond a polite inquiry. He poked and prayed at me under numerous called and 3+ hours of discussion. I received more than 8 calls re very specific questions that were not relevant to wanting to change out caps. These questions were much more inline with wanting to reverse engineer the product. I built these crossovers under lic from ALK. Ive given my word to not modify them and I stick to that agreement. 

Any design specific questions beyond, slop/ crossover points were directed to ALK. ALK chose to not provide further information. You doubt me on this... Call Al and ask.

• Like 2

Let me be much more specific. CALL ME 323-868-9722 if you wish to hear my side. 

The customer purchased a product... a predefined unit. There was no promise of design sharing. I spent hours speaking with him, continuously being brought back to asking design specific information and alluding to significant engineering background. If it were really true, I wouldn't need to share such details as the design in self evident in the product. You want values... cut it apart and measure it... Im not handing it over. 

Obviously this now has me very upset. I don't think this was the place for this. I believe the pretext of a missed solder joint is a lie to gain favor to provide the design.  

I did forget to glue on the paper label. That was an error on my part for which I owned even before he opened the box as I had realized it and emailed him. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, wdecho said:

There are cheap Chinese measuring devices that measure inductance, resistance and capacitance. One should not have to ask a licensed builder for private info. Crossovers are very simple electronic devices that are not hard to figure out for someone with any electronic background. If no electronic background or very little the web is a good place to do some homework. Not much needed for reverse engineering a crossover.  

Agreed.  This is definitely not rocket science.  Resistor, most simple meters, and amplifier can allow you to understand what the circuit is doing. 

If true, you could have sent it back to me as I had offered and I would have fixed.

But you said you had already fixed and then started asking about the crossover specifics. 

The one error on my part re the lack of labels. I called to address before it had reached you. 

The error in the solder if there was one is legit, however asking incessantly about the design was not appropriate and trying to public shame me isn't fair either.

I would like this thread removed. I have yet to be called by any member wondering my side. I also offer calling ALK to substantiate my claims.