Need To Chose Between RF-7II And III

miliellie111

Package A- Pair of RF-7II’s in cherry, RC-64II Center, pair of RP-240s and 1 RS-115SW sub, Marantz SR-7011 receiver.

For $500 more:

Package B: everything up above but I nstead of the II’s,  RF7-III’s, RC-64 III. No Marantz receiver.

Which would you go with. Has anyone heard a comparison between the II’s and the III’s? I like the look of the II’s better but if there is a huge upgrade in sound that would sway my decision.

Are the RP-240s for rear surround speakers food with this package?

I already have the RP-280’fs running in my living room on a Marantz SR-7010. The system above will be for basement music/movies.

Thanks for the help!

For $500 more and no 7011.  That's a total of about 1500-1800$ between cash and receiver.  That's a lot for the iii upgrade IMO but I have not heard them.  I'd grab package A, get a second 115 and still pocket $1300 compared to package B.

Is there much difference in the 7011 and the 7010?  I have the 6010 and it will NOT get the HDR/Dolby vision update, but the 7010 will.  It's an expensive upgrade, flagship to flagship, just wondering the difference between the two.

Either choice will get you great results.

I love my RF-7II's for clarity and impact in a home theater setting, but not so much for casual music listening because i find them to be a bit fatiguing.  I've never heard the RF-7III's but i've read that they're a bit more laid back.  I think the II's look better than the III's.

13 minutes ago, fuzzydog said:

I love my RF-7II's for clarity and impact in a home theater setting, but not so much for casual music listening because i find them to be a bit fatiguing.  I've never heard the RF-7III's but i've read that they're a bit more laid back.  I think the II's look better than the III's.

They definitely can be bright.  After several AVR's, I found an int amp that gives me what I wanted/expected from the 7ii's.  The room correction helped tame the highs, but even before, it was really only at high volume levels that it bothered me.  DO you still use them for music or did you go with another speaker for music?  I too owned the 82ii's as I see you do.  Great value if you ask me, but the 7ii's are in another league. 

The 3's are the only way to fly if you want the best sound quality.  The new horn and compression driver is just so much more pleasant.  I even had the 3's up against the new Forte III and I very reluctantly admitted that I like the 3's better for rock.  No way could I say that about the 2's, that old horn can wear you out.  The 3's just sound correct to me, even at loud volumes in an untreated room I don't consider them to be harsh and fatiguing. 

As for the looks, it seems that 80% of the protests about the looks of the 3's has to do with the plinth, except you don't really even have to use them, they bolt on.  You could put some pads on the bottom if you really didn't like the plinth.  

• Like 2

Tough call.  Since I've never heard the III's and have no opinion on sound quality let's talk about the money.

The Marantz 7011 (2016) is a flagship receiver and probably worth about $1400.  Add in the $500 and you have about $1900 difference between the packages.

That's a big outlay of cash but I would look at it like buying a Mercedes instead of a Honda.  The Mercedes will be more money initially but you get some of that back at resale time since the III's logically will have a higher resale value than the II's.

I know we don't usually buy speaker systems with much thought to resale value but it's something to consider.

I know which one I would do, but I'm cheap.  B)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

IMG_1904.JPG

Nice!  :D

I'm very offended by your remarks about Honda's Dave.  I'm going to my safe place now.

Honda Civic, I was talking about a Honda Civic, you big snowflake! 

Sheesh!    :lol:  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, miliellie111 said:

Im so sorry for the confusion everyone, but i typed it wrong (in a rush on my iphone) and looked back at the math and actually package A is $400 more than package B. @dmb12679 @fuzzydog @Grizzog @wvu80 @willland

Please update your suggestions. Thanks so much again I apologize.

$400 and still no Marantz? 

If you get everything in A in package B.  Then I'd pay up the $400 difference for the iii's.  $133 increase per speaker.  If No Marantz in the deal, your looking at $5-600 increase per speaker.  Too much IMO.

15 minutes ago, Grizzog said:

...Roy doesn't work on the Reference series.

do you know who does? I will modify my statement then to replace "Roy" with Klipsch. I believe it is a easily better loudspeaker or they would not release it. Would like to know who does the RF series design work. Thanks for this correction.