Need To Chose Between RF-7II And III

miliellie111

The RF-7 II came out in 2010, I believe.

I wonder if Chris P. also had a hand in the RF-7 II design.

I'm also curious about the design goals for the III vs. the II...like was Klipsch trying to improve frequency response "flatness" and some other specific parameters.

My personal experience is that the II's need some treble reduction when the volume is pushed.  I'm running them with a Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver, so only have the treble knob for adjustment.  I am curious whether the III's would need this same treble reduction in our system/room, as well as other sonic advantages over the II's.

3 hours ago, dmb12679 said:

Doesn't pure direct = no EQ  

I think Audyssey(Marantz SR6010) did an amazing job for my 7.2.  I love the sound for movies and DD content.  Keep in mind the version of audysey being used is a huge factor.  When I switched from my slightly older Denon to my current Marantz the sound and separation was on point.  Really the only thing that changed was the Audyssey.

I did not like it for 2.0 listening with my 7ii's, no matter what setting.  It didn't sound bad, but I just felt it was missing something.  

Pure eliminates most EQ and is close to no EQ.  These avr's cost a lot because of the auto EQ programs.   Why buy it to just disable.  My point is that it may not be the best EQ program for some brands of speaker.  Auto EQ programs have be hard to judge because they will work better with some speakers compared to others.  I am on the major Pioneer forums and just don't see the complaints.   We all know synergy of the gear can make or break a system.  People can pick what they think is a good match for their systems.

I have noticed several thread related to the new RF 7 III, Forte III and so on,  All claim that the past speakers were flaw and the sound was considered objectionable by a large number of listeners.  It is truly amazing that Klipsch has lasted this long with a product that everyone seems to not like.  It can't just be the made in America things or, are the number of complainers that large compared to the people that like the Klipsch sound.  There are plenty of other brands for those folk to pick from.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I have noticed several thread related to the new RF 7 III, Forte III and so on,  All claim that the past speakers were flaw and the sound was considered objectionable by a large number of listeners.  It is truly amazing that Klipsch has lasted this long with a product that everyone seems to not like.  It can't just be the made in America things or, are the number of complainers that large compared to the people that like the Klipsch sound.  There are plenty of other brands for those folk to pick from.

They have to make improvements/changes otherwise there's no reason to introduce a new model.

I had the Forte I, currently have the Chorus II and Forte III. The Forte I and Chorus II are not fatiguing and are great speakers. The Forte III, however, blows them out of the water. They truly are fantastic.

I also owned the RF-7II, which was fatiguing and bright to me. It has a rising response above 2k with a couple peaks in the response that bother some people but not others. That doesn't make them bad speakers, but ones that did not fit my (and many) tastes. I assume the RF-7III is in response to the complaints around some of the response issues and I'm excited to get the news ones and see what they're all about!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I have noticed several thread related to the new RF 7 III, Forte III and so on,  All claim that the past speakers were flaw and the sound was considered objectionable by a large number of listeners.  It is truly amazing that Klipsch has lasted this long with a product that everyone seems to not like.

Just because Jeep Wranglers came with a Pentastar engine in 2012 doesn't mean you can't have fun with a 2011, but that doesn't mean that the minivan engine didn't have inherent flaws and didn't seem clunky comparatively once the 2012's came out.  ;)  

To be honest there have been quite a bit of people who complained about the horns of the RF-7II's while they were current and nothing else was on the horizon.  A very common recommendation was to point the horns to the outside of your head in a 2-channel setup because if you point them at your face there was this hot spot and it was excessively bright.  This was a very common thing, there are even videos about it.  Actually considering your point of view, let's just go back to the original RF-7.  Seems like most people couldn't stand to listen to the things without the resistor modification.  Very common thing to do.  

Nobody's just making stuff up in their head to justify a new model.  These new ones have fixed some issues that have been inherent to the 7's since they came out, and have been complained about for the same amount of time.  They're cool speakers.  They can also rip your face off if you listen to them at high volumes for an extended period of time assuming you can still hear halfway well.  The 3's just do not have this issue.  

• Like 2

On 12/17/2017 at 10:29 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Just because Jeep Wranglers came with a Pentastar engine in 2012 doesn't mean you can't have fun with a 2011, but that doesn't mean that the minivan engine didn't have inherent flaws and didn't seem clunky comparatively once the 2012's came out.  ;)

Did you say Wrangler?  :ph34r:

20170620_112503.jpg

• Like 2

Happy to report my RF7-II's and RC-64II arrived in perfect condition from Acoustic Sound Design. I also ordered RP-280's from them earlier on in the year and Mike is top notch. 7'II's in cherry are pretty much out of stock everywhere(black is still available) and I believe I received one of the last pair sitting in the wharehouse. I was able to get an even lower price than earlier advertised closeout deal on these 7II's which increased the gap further over choosing the III's. However, Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters has the best price on III's and provided great advice. Also thanks to @Youthman and the others who contributed advice.

As soon as I got the II's out of the box I was wowed by the sheer elegance of stature and quality workmanship of the cherry wood veneer. These are brand new A stock(or at least was told to me by Acoustic Sound Design). To my eyes, the styling and color of the wood veneer on the II's convinced me to pick them over the III's (even if the III's have an improved sound) and I am not one bit disappointed with my choice. I will enjoy the visual appearance on the II's for years to come. I briefly hooked them up to my Marantz SR7010 while I await delivery of a Denon X6200 and R-115SW. Played for about an hour. They are not broken in yet but I can definitely tell more detail and presence coming out of these than my RP-280's in my living room on the same songs. Slightly cranked them up a little and I was floored. Dynamic to say the least! Had to turn the treble down a few notches and that mellowed things out but I think I will enjoy these for a long time. I'm sitting about 12 feet away from the speakers and these are in a basement which will be used primarily for movies and casual music listening. Enjoy some pics.

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

• Like 6

The Denon X-6200 arrived from Accesories4Less. Do I need more power? I was listening to some pretty demanding instrumental and vocal tracks for over an hour around -5db and began to hear distortion from the tweeters. Should I have gone for the X7200, or do the RF7-‘s need more power and can anyone recommend a good external amp around $500?

Thanks

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, miliellie111 said:

Should I have gone for the X7200,

You have to double your power to obtain a 3db gain in volume.  The Denon X7200 is only 10 watts more over the X6200 so you would not hear a difference between the two. 

How many speakers do you have connected?  I discovered awhile back the more speakers you add, the less per channel your receiver can effectively output.

I was disappointed when I found out my 130 wpc Yamaha RX-V1800 was only 103 wpc with 5 channels and a measly 55wpc according to this Benchtest - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-bench-yamaha-rx-v1800-av-receiver

• Like 1

• Moderators

Looks like they have a Bench Test for the X7200 - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x7200w-av-receiver-test-bench

so your X6200 should have similar results.

2 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 146.6 watts
1% distortion at 185.8 watts

5 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 122.3 watts
1% distortion at 138.0 watts

7 channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 113.7 watts
1% distortion at 124.0 watts

Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x7200w-av-receiver-test-bench#jzuu6IDzpEYHc6gS.99

48 minutes ago, Youthman said:

You have to double your power to obtain a 3db gain in volume.  The Denon X7200 is only 10 watts more over the X6200 so you would not hear a difference between the two. 

How many speakers do you have connected?  I discovered awhile back the more speakers you add, the less per channel your receiver can effectively output.

I was disappointed when I found out my 130 wpc Yamaha RX-V1800 was only 103 wpc with 5 channels and a measly 55wpc according to this Benchtest - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/test-bench-yamaha-rx-v1800-av-receiver

I am currently only running the RF7-II’s. Everything sounded good it was pretty loud for an extended period of time as I was doing a listening session. It was not ear piercing loud I kept it around -5db.

I felt the Denon and it was hot but not scorching. No question on whether or not it can drive them but perhaps it is just a matter of the amps getting too hot?